Can soup be used as a serving of veggies?

KathyV

I was wondering if soup could be used as part of a serving of veggies?  if so, how much could you consider a serving.  I am thinking a cup, so if we need at least 3 cup's of veggies per meal, then 3 cup's of soup be good?  Or would you recommend doing maybe a cup or two maybe another cup of a vegetable.  

• Moderators

I'd probably do soup plus another vegetable, just to be sure you get enough, and because chewing your food really can make a difference in how full you feel and how long a meal lasts for you. Definitely consider how many vegetables went into the soup as you serve it up, especially if it's blended and you can't actually see the vegetables anymore. And for non-blended soups, make sure you're getting a cup or more of vegetables, as opposed to a cup of broth with just a few vegetables.

• Moderators

I make a pot of cauliflower, carrot, onion soup about once per month. I think a coffee mug of soup is a good serving size. A cup is too small.

Soup digests fast. Occasionally, when I am trying to finish my pot of soup, I try to make that my meal with a can of tuna. I will eat the tuna and three mugs of soup. That fills me up. However, I am hungry in about 2.5 to 3 hours because liquid food digests much faster than whole foods that you chew. So like Shannon mentioned, you will be better served by not letting soup be the only veggies you consume at a meal. 

I had soup along with my breakfast. It was zucchini, broccoli and power greens -- kale, spinach and chard -- along with onion and garlic. I cooked the veg till soft and then blended it in my food processor. I cooked it all in bone broth that I made. I had 2 mug fulls (16 oz capacity) and I still had a whole bell pepper as well as a meat patty for breakfast. The soup itself was pretty thick-- not watery at all -- and I think I would count it for maybe 1 veggie serving, but I tend to err on the side of caution and do extra veggies just in case! 

thanks guys for helping me out. I love having soup all year, round it just taste good to have something hot with my meal; bone broth also works(I also make my own).  I made Topaz Green Goddness from Bowls of Love.  Her soups  are not only  delicious but I enjoyed the stories behind each recipe. But the zucchini, cauliflower and sweet potato soup for Well Fed are my first loves.  SpinSpin:  good idea on adding those power greens!! banging out extra nutrients!

thanks guys for helping me out. I love having soup all year, round it just taste good to have something hot with my meal; bone broth also works(I also make my own).  I made Topaz Green Goddness from Bowls of Love.  Her soups  are not only  delicious but I enjoyed the stories behind each recipe. But the zucchini, cauliflower and sweet potato soup for Well Fed are my first loves.  SpinSpin:  good idea on adding those power greens!! banging out extra nutrients!

Do you add proteins to your soups or have those on the side?

I add protein and fats either directly in the soup or on the side.  I tend to add it directly to the soup if the soup has a thick base, otherwise I will have it in a salad and I am good to go

• Administrators

mmmmm now I want soup

I am so with you!  I currently live on the surface of the sun so soup isn't an option (making nor drinking) but I keep daydreaming about cooler weather and huge pots of bone broth and silky gingered soup and Tom Kha Gai.  Is it wrong to wish for fall and it's barely July?  ;)

Archived