Well hello bathroom

Jenny B

Okay, so I am on Day 9 and I am extremely happy that I am using the bathroom (yes #2) at least once a day now. I think I have gone more than I have gone in the last month and half!  This makes me so happy!  I was always seriously constipated or the opposite. Never just right.  But starting on Day 2 doing Whole30 it has been consistent!  Anyone else having these wonderful results?  Is this what normal feels like? :o

I always feel a little crazy when I say how awesome it is to have a bowel movement, but it really is! Constipation is awful and uncomfortable. So happy to hear that you're feeling better in that department.

Also, you and I are in approximately the same neck of the woods!

• 3 weeks later...

I've never really had a problem in this department. Since starting Whole30 though I noticed an increase amount of umm... volume.  Is this normal? I'm concerned about our plumbing. lol 

Any other issues like urgency, loose stools, or straining during bowel movements? If not, I'd chalk up the volume increase to the fact that you're (hopefully) consuming more vegetables than usual and you're seeing an increase in bulk due to the fiber.

• 2 weeks later...

Not there yet, but only on Day 5. Obsessed with this topic though as I too would love to enjoy 'regular' behavior!

Question for you all (perhaps TMI, but someone has to) - I noticed that what i'm putting out today is rather 'floaty' - which is typically a sign of too much fat in the diet. Most Drs will tell you that you want sinkers and not floaters....

Did anyone else have this? Will it get better with time, or do I need to significantly cut back the amount of olive oil & avocado & nuts I'm consuming??

THANKS!!

Not there yet, but only on Day 5. Obsessed with this topic though as I too would love to enjoy 'regular' behavior!

Question for you all (perhaps TMI, but someone has to) - I noticed that what i'm putting out today is rather 'floaty' - which is typically a sign of too much fat in the diet. Most Drs will tell you that you want sinkers and not floaters....

Did anyone else have this? Will it get better with time, or do I need to significantly cut back the amount of olive oil & avocado & nuts I'm consuming??

THANKS!!

It's pretty hard to over-do the fat, and if there is excess fat in your stools you tend to see a kind of oil floating in the water & it also tends to be much paler in colour (often referred to weirdly as 'blonde')- this from the mum of a child with multiple food allergies and a laminated poo chart:D

Your BMs should settle down as your body adjusts to the new diet.

This is a funny thread, but all too important as an indicator for the state of our health. I've lived with the opposite of constipation for a long time and when I start eating like this I definitely see a change. So far, (day 4 for me) I have at least one what I call polite poo, easy going, a day. however I am still not 100% and hope that things will level out soon. Is this too much plant matter I don't know?

• Administrators

This topic is SOOO funny, but I confess, in my journal this morning I wrote a glowing review of my "dukey":  I described the color and texture like some proud mom that just dropped the kids off at the pool!  :lol:

I just spit tea!!!!!  LOL!!!!!!!

• 5 weeks later...

No you are not an anomaly - it takes a while for our digestive track to get on board with changes.  Especially if you are coming from a SAD type eating background.

Two things that might help: Digestive Enzymes, and make sure you are drinking enough water.  Aim for half your body weight in ounces daily.

You could also post a couple of days worth of meals here for us to help you troubleshoot.

Thank you for replying!

Forgive me- not quite sure what a SAD type eating background is. I primarily ate Paleo just because it's what I enjoy. The main things I had to cut out for the Whole30 were alcohol, non gluten grains, and cheese. 

I'll try to drink more water! I always have a water bottle with me but don't really monitor how much I consume. I'll start!

As far as meals go: 8/10 M1: Omlette with sautéed peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, garlic, M2:taco salad with grass fed ground beef, more sauteed peppers, half of an avocado, 1 serving of fruit with a little bit of almond butter was snacked on that afternoon, M3: tuna steak with pan cooked sweet potato, patty pan squash, and onion. 

8/9 M1: sweet potato and kale rosti with baked eggs M2:same M3:grass fed chicken thigh and drumstick with rainbow baby potatoes, green beans

8/8 M1:taco salad with sautéed peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, and half of an avocado, M2:same M3:grass fed chicken thigh & drumstick on a bed of spinach with mushrooms and homemade basalmic vinaigrette. 

Anything you can tell me would be helpful! Thank you!!

I am glad you all are having good luck.  When I had my gallbladder removed the Dr. told me 4-5 times a day is optimal.  Day 3 now and I actually seem to go a bit less often although have been looser than before. Not looking forward to the few days when mucus lining starts to come out but oh well.  Thanks

Hi Rachel,

SAD = Standard American Diet - so one that would include grains, all things soy, cheese, heavily processed or fast foods. 

Okay - other than some avocado thrown in here and there - I don't see much for fat anywhere.  Is that because you forgot to post it?  Keep in mind that most fat when used for cooking things will remain in the pan unless you were to scrape it out and drizzle it on your plate.  So think about adding homemade mayo, drizzle olive oil, olives, ghee, or coconut milk to part of your meals.  

This is awesome! I had a total hysterectomy four years ago and they had to do a bowel resection. I've never had BM issues before that - but have ever since.  Since Whole30 I'm back to normal - and I'm only on day 7!!  Amazing.  However, I also seem to be peeing non-stop.  I'm hoping that's the kidneys clearing out all the junk in my body - and not a sign that I need to run to the doc.

Archived