Day 25 and Feeling HORRIBLE

Please help--I'm ready to give up.  Noticing positive changes (with blood pressure, sugar cravings, headaches), but for the past two weeks I feel awful, esp at night.  Horrible fibromyalgia flare (haven't had in years), muscle aches, exhaustion, sore throat, swollen glands.  Feel like I have the flu.  Eating, sleeping and hydrating well.  What is going on?  I had so hoped to feel better by now. Fierce cravings for cashews.  Magnesium?  I really appreciate any insight.

• Moderators

I posted a little bit of an answer in your question about craving cashews in another topic, but I think it will be clearer if we keep everything together on this topic for you. Could you list a couple of days' worth of food (including approximate serving sizes), exercise, and water intake so we can see if there's any obvious changes you could make to help?

I will say that giving up is not going to make anything better. Fibromyalgia is not something that you're going to cure in 30 days, but eating unhealthy food is definitely not going to help it either.

Is there any chance you do actually have the flu? Or some other bug? Sore throat and swollen glands are definitely not normal on a Whole30, and I can't think of any way in which eating protein, fat, and vegetables could cause them.

Thanks, Shannon.  To clarify, I consider myself pretty much cured from fibro.  If I ever do have a flare (maybe once a year), it lasts only a day or so. 

A typical day of food is two eggs and a grass-fed hamburger patty for breakfast (lots of black coffee, mostly decaf).  Baked fish with veggies and honeydew/cucumber salsa, some guacamole and zucchini sticks for lunch. A few chunks of pineapple and frozen berry smoothie before swimming.  Sautéed chicken and roasted potatoes for dinner.  Some days I do have cashews (too many cashews), but I am not going to eat them any more.  Last night I had a good bit of watermelon for dinner because I was simply too ill and it too much pain to cook.

I swim three times a week and by no means overdo it.  I drink a half gallon or more of water every day.  I make my own food, so no hidden sugars.

I doubt I have the flu because it has lasted over a week and is getting worse.  Besides, there are some days I feel better than others.

The only reason I did this plan was to get healthier for an upcoming trip to Alaska, but quite honestly I feel I'm going backwards.  I don't understand how getting rid of grains, legumes, dairy and sugar can make me feel worse than when I started.

I appreciate your help.

Okay.....

Two things - you meal 1 is missing veggies and all of your meals seem to be missing fat - with the exception of the nuts. Please note that if you fat includes cooking fat - very often that is not substantial enough as cooking fat has a tendency of staying in the pan.  So add olives, avocados, ghee, olive oil, homemade mayo... 

Secondly drop your pre swim smoothie - smoothies are less than ideal and will cause a sugar spike and crash.  Pre workout should always be fat and protein - so boiled eggs and olives are great here and post workout should be lean protein and carby veggies - so things like sliced chicken breast and cooked cubed sweet potato is always good.

Sore throat, swollen glands - are you sure this is not strep throat?  Since this is not a normal symptom of whole 30, and it has lasted for more than a week you should get yourself in to see a doctor.

• Administrators

As far as your water intake goes (which can relate to the muscle aches & exhaustion), note that our recommendation is half your body weight in ounces.  So half a gallon (64 oz) is perfect if you weigh 128 pounds and don't exercise.  If you weigh more and exercise with any sort of intensity, drink more.

If your symptoms are lingering and getting worse, do not pass go, do not collect $200, go directly to your physician or an urgent care clinic. Flu can certainly last more than a  week so I wouldn't rule out the possibility. The sore throat and swollen glands suggests that you've got something infectious going on. No need to suffer through it, go see the doctor!

Carlaccini already pointed out the missing parts of your meals. Something else to consider is that, of all the nuts, cashews having the highest amount of carbohydrate and, to a lot of folks, have a fairly sweet taste. Craving cashews can also be a sign of a sneaky sugar dragon looking for its fix. Personally, my bet is that the cravings are happening because you're under-fueled. Your lunch and dinner meats are fairly lean and you may be lacking in added fat which suggests that your cravings are just because you're starving.

Thanks, Ladies.  I just heard there is a virus going around.  I will not be going to the doctor, where they will give me antibiotics, but WILL be using my essential oils.  Will make sure I have enough fat and veggies in my diet and limit fruit and eliminate cashews.  It can only get better from here.

Odd what Munkers said about the dragon, because the cashew urge hits right around the time when my sugar cravings used to hit.  Weird, because this didn't happen the first two weeks.

I appreciate all of you!

Archived