Where's my "meat jell-o"?

This is my 3rd time making beef bone broth.  The first time out of the gate I successfully achieved "meat jell-o" after refrigerating my broth.  But, these past 2 attempts I have not been able to get the broth to gelatinize (is that even a word?).  I've used the SAME amount of bones (3-4#), of the SAME type and from the SAME store.  I cover the bones with about 10-12 cups of water, until my slow cooker is about 3/4 full.  I bring the mixture to a boil, then set on low for 12-18 hours.  After straining the broth I cool it in the fridge, then skim off the fat.  I pour into 2 large mason jars, one goes in the fridge and one in the freezer.  I cannot get any meat jell-o to form.  Also, the broth I've made that has not formed into jell-o doesn't taste as "rich".  It's pretty watery.

What am I doing wrong?

Is it a problem not to have meat jell-o?

Please help!

Thank you!

To improve jelling:

Add a couple tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to the water and bones. Simmer for longer: 24-72 hours. Joint bones with cartilage will add gelatin, but be assured bone broth is still a healthy food even if yours does not jel.

To improve flavor:

roast the dry bones well in a hot oven first, then adding to water and simmering. Salt well (with good quality sea salt) after straining the broth. Consider leaving some of the fat in the broth for nutrients and richness.

You can also add pigs feet or chicken feet to your broth as well. If you roast the bones, don't roast the pig feet -- also known as trotters -- and you won't get any piggie-ness in your broth, but you will get plenty of gelatin! 

Remember too that lack of "jello" doesn't mean that your stock is any less nutritious or that you messed up something. If it's long simmered and delicious, then the gelatin and other good stuff is in there. Gelatin does break down with time when boiled and loses its ability to gel. Still good for your gut, but liquid instead of solid form.

Archived