On day 10. When is the energy going to start?

PaulaSab

The energy is very much dependent on what you are eating.

If you'd like to post a few days worth of food & liquid intake along with activity levels, stress & sleep we can see if you need to make any tweaks to get that energy to make an appearance any faster....

Are you including at least a fist sized serving of starchy veg per day and drinking at least a half an ounce of water per pound of body fat? (ie. if you weigh 150lbs you need to drink 75oz)

Breakfast - always 2 x fried eggs in Coconut oil.  Yesterday I also had leftover sweet potato and today I had some pork mince with the eggs.

Lunch - today was scrambled eggs (4) with an avocado and an apple.  Mon, Tues & Wed when I work, I have baked salmon (in lime juice) with an avocado and cucumber.

Dinner - Yesterday it was a chicken piece with cabbage and broccoli followed by strawberries & organic coconut milk.

I usually have 3-4 mugs of coffee with organic coconut milk during the day.

I do drink a lot of water, but I haven't been measuring the amount.

Mon, Wed evening and Thursday lunchtime I ran/walked approx 3 miles each time.  I am getting back into running after being away on holiday.  I am training for my first half marathon which is on 13th September, the day before my 61st birthday.

• Administrators

Morning!  As jmcbn said, energy is directly tied to intake.  That said, some tweaks.

When eggs are your sole protein, they should be as many as you can hold in your hand without dropping; at least 3-4 for most people. Adding the pork is good, make sure that's either a regular thing or that you are upping your egg count when you don't add extra meat. Where are all your veggies? We recommend 1-3 cups (1 is passable, 2-3+ is preferable) with every meal.  The vitamins and micronutrients in veggies are directly tied to energy, eat a varied assortment...and remember that more is better!

Did you have at least a post-run meal (protein and starchy veggie) to assist in recovery and to make sure your body knows you are not in a famine?  Pre and post workout food is in addition to your regular meals.

You might want to ease off the coffee and up the water.  The caffeine (assuming it's not decaf) can mess with your natural body rythym and cause your energy to become somewhat dependant on that hit of caffeine.  Our recommendation at the very least is to stop coffee by noon.

A hard boiled egg is a good pre workout option, as we recommend protein and fat here.

You are correct that apple and almond butter is not a great pre wo choice because of the fruit and absence of protein. Nuts are a fat on a Whole30. Fruit is optional on a Whole30: if you're going to have it, do so with your main meals only vs. as part of a snack.

I usually do a hb egg. If it's gonna be a longer workout or if I wake up hungry because I ate dinner early, I may put a dab of guacamole on each of the egg halves or maybe have a few olives with the egg. I thought all that saltiness would be gross early in the morning (usually up by sunrise), but it's so yummy.

Archived