Stomach Pain Day 3

I started the Whole30 on Wednesday, so I'm on day 3 and feel horrible.  Last night I woke up with stomach pain. . . achy. . . and unable to sleep well.  I had nightmares and woke up with a migraine.  Our pre-Whole30 diet was pretty healthy with lots of veggies and protein, but we also had a lot more processed sugar etc.

My meals have included:

Day 1:  frittata for breakfast (egg, spinach, mushroom), salad with avocado, sliced almonds, dried cranberries, lemon/olive oil dressing, tomato, 1/2 sweet potato for lunch, Pineapple chicken Thai coconut curry for dinner.

Day 2: Smoothie for breakfast (I know not 100% Whole30 in the delivery of nutrients, but all Whole30 ingredients).  Smoothie contained kiwi, cucumber, pineapple, spinach, avocado, almond milk, mint and blueberries.  Lunch:  Salad with chicken, tomatoes, vinaigrette dressing, uncured bacon, egg.  Dinner:  Salad with chicken, orange pepper, cucumber, vinaigrette dressing.

Day 3 (so far):  Smoothie for breakfast.  Smoothie with Kiwi, cucumber, pineapple, spinach, avocado, peach, almond milk.

I'm wondering if it's the drastic increase in fiber and it's causing my body to flush out more of the "processed ingredients" it may be storing?  I'm also wondering when it'll end?  When I was awake at 3 this morning I kept thinking "You should quit.  Just quit, you felt fine before". . . .  I don't want to quit, but I'm miserable right now.  My husband doesn't seem to be having this issue thus far.  Any suggestions or thoughts would help.  We drink smoothies with similar (but not all) ingredients often, but I've really packed in the spinach intake.

• Moderators

There are lots of problems with your approach to eating. There is no way you will get maximum Whole30 benefits eating so far away from our recommendations. You are eating meals with no meaningful protein, you are eating too light overall - you would have to eat a bucket of salad to get enough bulk. When chewed, salad works down to some green juice. Your smoothies are huge sugar bombs. So basically, you are under-nourished and over loaded with sugar. 

Study how we ask you to eat: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf  You will do much better if you follow this plan. Also, be sure to eat at least one serving of starchy veggies per day and probably two. The carbs from starchy veggies can be important to sleep and energy production overall. 

Eating salad and raw veggies can be hard on digestion. Try eating only cooked veggies for a while.

I don't understand how my meals are so far away from the recommendations (other than the breakfast portion).  I'm using recipes from the Whole30 cookbook and the Whole30 Instagram page for dinners. . . Other than our salad last night where I ate an entire chicken breast, in addition to the chicken breast for lunch yesterday (on my salad), and chicken curry for dinner the night before.  The only raw vegetable I've had is tomato and the orange pepper on my salad last night.  

I'm reading the above and chicken isn't a meaningful protein.  I understand a smoothie isn't a recommended source for food, but prior to starting the whole30 I typically didn't eat any breakfast at all, unless my husband gave me some of his smoothie. . .  And these are PACKED with spinach, using about 1/8 cup of each of the fruits noted.

I've read others are having issues with stomach pain as well, and their diets don't seem to be that different than mine.  I will increase my starch veggies from 1/2 a sweet potato at lunch, but I don't see why my lunches and dinners are bad?  They aren't that much different than what I normally eat. . . Only increased portions of veggies.

• Moderators

The recommendations that Tom linked above indicate 1-3 CUPS of vegetables per meal, every meal.  Your meals don't seem to be linking up to that recommendation... the recommendation isn't 1-3 cups of veg OR fruit, it's veg... and unfortunately due to the nature of salad greens, they really shouldn't be included in that count of 1-3 cups as they're basically nothing once chewed.

As well, your total intake for the day seems to be 1/2cup of fruit and some spinach in a smoothie, 2 chicken breasts and some salad (unless you're having 1-3 cups of orange pepper and cucumber with it...)

Thanks for the reply.  The smoothie holds 1/8 cup of cucumber (same as the fruit amount), 1/2 avocado (I don't remember if i mentioned that above) and 2 cups of spinach.  my salads are 3 packed cups (roughly) of salad greens, a whole avocado, a whole vine rip tomato. . . with 1/2 a large sweet potato on the side.  Which equals in total over 3 cups of vegetables.  When I eat salads, they are meal size because I am notorious for getting hungry if they are too small.  When I ate curry for dinner, in the recipe I used a whole red pepper, whole orange pepper, whole container of mushrooms, and 1-1/2 lbs of chicken.  My salad had probably 1-1/2 cups in total of orange pepper and cucumber on it last night.  That being said, I don't eat huge portions of food.  I'm 5'3 and 125 lbs. . .  I CAN'T eat large portions or more than I do eat.  When I'm hungry, I embark on a healthy snack.  But majority of the time I eat my lunch, feel great all afternoon, get home and eat my dinner somewhere between 6-7, feel great all night, wake up and do it all over again. 

What I'm taking in doesn't stray that much from what I had before I began the Whole30.  The primary difference is what I've removed to embark on this 30 day journey. . . processed sugars, simple carbs, dairy products.  Others I've spoken to have had similar side effects as their body learns what do to without those "simple sugars and carbs".  I thought I would ask the Whole30 community, but didn't expect my diet, which has been quite healthy and balanced all my life, to be judged and ridiculed with such extremity.  I was hoping for a reason why this could be happening (perhaps you need to increase "x" intake because you've removed "x, y, z" from your diet).  I don't allow myself to get hungry or feel under nourished.  I eat protein, and as much as I need to feel full, satisfied, and nourished.  

Mpls - please understand you are asking for our help you to feel better, so we are trying to help you feel better.

Bear with me for a moment.  There are a few things about smoothies that make them sub optimal.  

Lay out ALLLLLLL the fruit, and veggies that you would put into the smoothie in front of you.  Would you eat all of that fruit and veg in one sitting?  Is the fruit more than one fist sized portion?  Or is it 2?  or more.....  Is the spinach a heaping mixing bowl worth of spinach?  (Remember Spinach and salads are basically just water....)  I would recommend chewing all of that fruit and veg and then add a protein to it.

Basically by blending the fruit and veg together and drinking it you are doing all the work that you mouth and stomach would normally do.  Which makes smoothies so not satisfying or satiating .  Yes there are a lot of veggies and fruits in there - but with amount of fruit in the smoothie you are basically taking your old food habits (sugar) and trying to fit them into a brand new mold.  Fruit as delicious as it is - does have a higher sugar content that veggies do.  I know from personal experience that if I want to feel hungrier earlier or crash in the afternoon - that all I have to do is include a piece of fruit in my meal one.  Why?  Because it causes my sugar levels to spike and crash early on - leaving me with slagging energy and hunger in the mid afternoon.

The rest of your meals are not terrible.  However salads are not terribly satiating unless they are the size of a mixing bowl. Also Day 1 you didn't list any protein in your meal 2 so that is not an ideal meal.  Keep in mind that ALL meals should follow the template: 1 - 2 palm sized portions or protein, 1 -3 cups of veggies, 1 - 2 thumb sized portions of fat, and 1 - 2 fist sized portions of fruit (optional)

• Administrators

No one is ridiculing you, I'm sorry you feel that way.  Troubleshooting is often a grab bag of trying to list all the things that it could be.

In that vein, depending on how much room "processed sugars, simple carbs, dairy products" were taking up in your daily intake, you could be having a reaction to the increase in protein from animals as well as more veggies rather than necessarily the lack of the sugars/dairy. You might consider trying a digestive enzyme and taking in some probiotcs from fermented foods (sauerkraut, kombucha etc) to help your gut repopulate with the right mix of bacteria.

• Moderators

I thought I would ask the Whole30 community, but didn't expect my diet, which has been quite healthy and balanced all my life, to be judged and ridiculed with such extremity.  I was hoping for a reason why this could be happening (perhaps you need to increase "x" intake because you've removed "x, y, z" from your diet). 

No one here is judging you, or ridiculing you, let alone with extremity.

You asked the Whole30 community, and the answer you got back was you need to increase X (X being hearty veg (not salad) and protein in every meal). We're basically giving you exactly what you've asked for...  so i'm confused at how it's ridiculing or judging... 

"There are lots of problems with your approach to eating. There is no way you will get maximum Whole30 benefits eating so far away from our recommendations. You are eating meals with no meaningful protein, you are eating too light overall - you would have to eat a bucket of salad to get enough bulk. When chewed, salad works down to some green juice. Your smoothies are huge sugar bombs. So basically, you are under-nourished and over loaded with sugar."

Without asking the quantities of vegetables or fruit I'm eating, I was quickly judged and told I my approach to eating is wrong and I'm not going to get the benefits of the Whole30.  I was told I'm under-nourished and on a sugar high.  Fact is, I eat at least the recommended amount of vegetables, and not that much fruit because I barely like fruit. . .  I still don't understand how an entire chicken breast isn't an adequate amount of protein?  Should I be eating 2 and feeling over full?  Tom offered nothing but criticism in his response, which has made me feel I should dump the Whole30 on day 3.  

Ladyshanny and Carlaccini, thank you for the helpful suggestions you have provided.  Understanding a little more "why" behind it is helpful. . . Even after reading through the book, sometimes not all of it sinks in until you're working through it.  Before this I would eat store-bought salad dressing, condiments (I love sauces. . . what can I say?), bread for sandwiches a couple times a week, chips every now and then (maybe once a week or every two), cottage cheese in the morning for breakfast (the recommended serving size), blue or goat cheese on my salads. . .  Not to mention the 2-3 Hershey's nuggets in the afternoon around 2:30.  So I have eliminated quite a bit, albeit not "horrible things". . .  But all of those have sugar or dairy, or gluten that I've now stripped from my system.  

I understand what you're saying about the smoothies.  I believe I would eat the amount of fruit and veggies in one sitting, but probably not if I add a protein.  Tomorrow morning I'll cut up the same amount of fruit I add to the smoothie, with the veggies on the side and add an egg and see how I do.  If I can't finish it all without being stuffed (I'll of course stop before I'm stuffed), then I'll for sure reduce and eliminate.  Next week I'll plan to bring whole fruit and an egg for breakfast to work and see if that changes anything for the morning.  Ladyshanny I appreciate the suggestion for an enzyme or probiotic!  I'll take a look into that and see if that helps at all.  These are the kinds of responses I was hoping for, rather than telling me I'm failing (that's how I read Tom's response, and the following that supported his).  I don't always understand the why behind the strategy or how it could affect the way I'm feeling.  Thank you again and I'll try to re-strategize the breakfast and see if that helps throughout the rest of the day!

• Administrators

Please don't quit, this is all easily fixable.  And yes, sometimes things get missed or assumed or otherwise misinterpreted.  Rest assured, however it may have appeared, you are in friendly company here, keep posting and let us know how you're doing.

And make sure if you are only eating eggs for breakfast that you have as many as you can hold in your hand without dropping.  Like at least 3, methinks.

Thanks Ladyshanny!!  This has gotten infinitely more friendly :)  I'll be sure to keep posting the progress.  3 eggs seems like a lot!!!  Haha!  I'm used to 2 for sure, if eaten alone, but I'll give 3 a go. . . worse case leftovers go in the fridge for the next morning.

Thanks again!

A proper breakfast should make a huge difference in terms of feeling better.  But some tummy disruption is expected through dietary changes.

I am totally, totally a saucy lady - it's alllllllll about the sauce.  I highly recommend you make your own mayo.....even if you don't like mayo.  Why?  because mayo can be used as a base for so many excellent dressings, sauces and dips - Well Fed's Awesome Sauce - is well awesome.  Also look up a recipe for Chimichurri - highly recommended for pouring over steak but equally excellent tossed in roasted veggies.

Crisp up prosciutto in the oven, cut it up and sprinkle it over your salad (also include cut up apple, raisins, pecans) to get some extra "pop" to your salad.  Do the Citrus Vinaigrette from the book - Add your own herb variations to get slightly different tastes. 

Archived