Not sure if I need a Whole30?

Hello all-

I have been intrigued by the idea of a Whole30 for over a year, and I've gone through phases of paleo eating, but have never done a Whole30. I guess the reason is I'm not sure I need one. I don't have any specific medical conditions. Actually, I'm in pretty good health and do not need to lose weight. I do have a tendency to get migraines which seem connected to hormones, weather, alcohol, and exercise, but not really to food. I have a history (12 year ago) of eating disorders, and feel a bit scared of food rules, "can't have" or "have to eat" kinds of things. 

In general, I'd love to have more energy and feel less sleepy (which is how I feel even when I've slept well), it'd be nice to not feel like I have brain fog, and I'd love to not get headaches. Are those reasons strong enough to carry me through 30 days? Following a strict plan while cooking for my family when I don't have a pressing "need" to do so seems…perhaps pointless?

I'd love some feedback/thoughts!

Angela 

• Administrators

Before you start, given your history of eating disorders, you may want to check out this article.  The nice thing about Whole30 is that besides not eating grains, dairy, legumes, sugar, it is not restrictive in the slightest.  I know that might sound weird since I just said all the things you can't have.  But the amount of things you can have? Mind blowing.  Every color under the sun and enough that you feel satisfied and content.  Never starving.

You may gain energy, lose intensity or frequency of headaches, get better and more restful sleep and mental clarity.  Those seem like pretty good reasons to me! Any time you are eliminating generally inflammatory foods and replacing them with loads of veggies, good meats and good fats, you are doing something wonderful for yourself.  It's possible that you will find that you have symptoms you're not even aware of until they disappear. 

Hi Angela,

I have been on and off the whole 30 for a few months now and I do need to do it due intolerances, I am actually on Whole 30 low fodmap. But the hardest things for me are the rules - I know people say there is so much else to eat, but they are still rules and I try to be perfect and I have had flare ups from my eating disorder. So please be careful and listen to yourself. Also read the articles they posted, they are very helpful. For me an eating disorder is like smoking, you might stop and be an ex-smoker but you will never be the same as a non-smoker :) FYI I have been past my eating disorder about the same time as you.

I am now doing this with assistance from a dietitian who helps me through the process if elimination and reintroduction.

Archived