Finished first Whole 30 but Weight Loss Is SLOOOOOOW

hobroe

Hi, I just finished my first Whole30 and of course (given my usual abuse of self) couldn't wait to jump on that scale....only to find that I have lost 6 pounds. For a gal my size (started at 239), 6 pounds usually melts away in the first week. I have been super active (even hiked for 12 miles a few days back), with daily workouts that are at least 60 min. long. I swim or walk amost every day, with 1-2 days off. I have followed the program religiously (or so I think).

SO what gives?

Yes, I feel so much better. My clothes are not that much looser, however, but my ring finally fits! I'm still hitting the snooze button a few times each morning and still waiting for the Tiger Blood, especailly in the morning, as I have never been a morning person.

Did any of you find the weight loss to be slow in the beginning?

I am determined to stick this out (hopefully, for life) as I do find that I feel better overall and I will continue on the program. I just want to know if perhaps I'm not doing something according to plan. Perhaps too many fruit or nuts (I eat a piece of fruit and snack on nuts once a day)? Perhaps too many sweet potatoes?

Carbs generally make it hard to lose weight for me, but I have never given up so much to lose so little weight.

Need some inpiration to keep going.....

6lbs is a lot. From your writing, though, it seems like maybe you have done a bunch of different "diets" and weight loss plans? If you have, know that A.) the whole30 isn't one of them and B.) your metabolism might have suffered (although not too much if you still managed to lose 6lbs!).

The whole30 is a great way to get to a place of sustainable long-term weight loss. It is not a quick fix. Good job and keep it up!

Hi missmary. Yes, I have a PhD in diets (that fail). This is the first "way of eating" that has not made me feel like I am suffering or depriving myself. And or that, I am so, so grateful! That is the reason why I know this is the way to go.

You might be right about the metabolism. Years of abusive deprivation/food addiction have definitely taken a toll and the older I get and the more I abuse my body, the harder it is to lose weight.

I will keep at it. Thank you for the kind words!

This is the first "way of eating" that has not made me feel like I am suffering or depriving myself. And or that, I am so, so grateful! That is the reason why I know this is the way to go.

This observation above is magic. 

Yes, metabolism can take time to heal, and yes, please keep going! It sounds like you've had an excellent first leg of this journey and your 1-year success story will be jaw-dropping.

I agree with everyone.  I have been following W30 for 90 days.  I lost 8 lbs the first month, 2 lbs the second month, and hit 90 days today, and had lost a total of 5 lbs in that third month.  So, 15 lbs over 90 days.  I figure if I keep going...I'll get there evenutally.  :)  Slow but sure wins the race.  I think that only getting on the scale once a month is critical for me.  I will eventually break up with the scale.  For now, I'm good with getting on the scale and measuring once a month, and continuing this program until i hit my "happy place" (not sure when that will be, but I figure I'm probably 6-8 months or more before I get there!)  After that I'll look at doing reintroductions...if I even want to.

Remember - its a journey, not a destination!!!

Hi, I just finished my first Whole30 and of course (given my usual abuse of self) couldn't wait to jump on that scale....only to find that I have lost 6 pounds. For a gal my size (started at 239), 6 pounds usually melts away in the first week. I have been super active (even hiked for 12 miles a few days back), with daily workouts that are at least 60 min. long. I swim or walk amost every day, with 1-2 days off. I have followed the program religiously (or so I think).

SO what gives?

Yes, I feel so much better. My clothes are not that much looser, however, but my ring finally fits! I'm still hitting the snooze button a few times each morning and still waiting for the Tiger Blood, especailly in the morning, as I have never been a morning person.

I am determined to stick this out (hopefully, for life) as I do find that I feel better overall and I will continue on the program. I just want to know if perhaps I'm not doing something according to plan. Perhaps too many fruit or nuts (I eat a piece of fruit and snack on nuts once a day)? Perhaps too many sweet potatoes?

Carbs generally make it hard to lose weight for me, but I have never given up so much to lose so little weight.

As the others have said weight loss is not the focus here and you should be focusing on all those fantastic NSVs while your body heals from the restrictive eating of your past.

6lbs is a great starting point, but if you think you might be doing things wrong then feel free to post a few days worth of typical food/liquid intake along with activity/sleep/stress levels (which can all have a huge impact) and we can take a look and see if you could maybe make some tweaks.

6 lbs is nothing to sneeze at.  I lost a total  of 6 lbs my first whole 30 as well.  And I started at a place of 260+ lbs.  So I had weight to lose. 

6lbs over 4 weeks.  That's pretty good! That's over a pound a week!  I never even had that while doing WW!  However I had a TON of NSV victories and I knew I would never turn back to the place where I was.  

During my first Whole30, I lost half a pound.

No, you read that right. HALF a pound.

I was coming from a place of low calorie/starvation dieting and I'm pretty sure that I lost muscle mass on the physician supervised program I was following. (If a program tells you not to do anything more than walking or yoga, that should probably be a red flag that you won't be eating enough.) I noticed a change in my body composition after the Whole30 (slimmer waist and hips) which tells me that I still lost fat and my weight stayed about the same because my body was rebuilding and recovering from my diet abuse.

Like others have said, you'll get there. Six pounds is an achievement and by no means an indication that you should give up!

• Administrators

The thing I keep coming back to surrounding weight loss is that we gained excess body fat by punishing and abusing ourselves (usually).  Instead of perpetuating that cycle of personal abuse, we choose to Whole30 and allow our bodies and our minds to heal and come to a place where they feel trusting and comfortable enough to start releasing some of what we've done to them.  Expecting that to happen faster than whatever pace it is going at is allowing that abusive cycle to continue.  

The marketing world wants you to want to be thin as fast as possible.  The Whole30 and all the Just Eat Real Food movements want you to be healthy and happy and nourished.  We don't care what you weigh because we know that if you continue to respect yourself and your body and your habits, you'll get to where you're supposed to be.  As fast or slow as that may happen, know that that speed is your body's internal pace and trying to force it to do it quicker is not respectful of you.

Congrats on 6 pounds, that is an excellent sign that your body is adjusting and becoming safe and happy and ready to experience change!  :D

SO what gives?

You are doing a great job! Think about all of the NSV's you have. While this isn't a weightless "diet" many do this to help them lose weight. Don't think of it as giving up "so much," think about all of the health benefits you will continue to have. You are doing a great job! I encourage you not to obsess about the number on the scale. You said you hiked 12 miles, that's amazing! You are so active! That's awesome! Shoot, some people don't even lose 6lbs. I read a post where a lady lost half a pound. We each have our own journey. Don't give up. You are doing a great job. 

So I felt the exact same way you did this morning. I have a lot of weight to lose, and I found out I only lost about 4lb doing the whole 30. On other "diet plans" I have done, I would lose that in a week! One thing my husband pointed out, was often times with those diet plans, I was losing a lot of water weight from severely restricting my diet. Then, inevitably, I would gain it all back if I started eating normally again.

This morning I did two things - 1.) I got rid of my scale (who cares about the number.... I care about how I fit in my clothes and how I feel) and 2.) I focused on all of my NSV's that I am having (looser clothes, better skin, more energy, and perhaps the biggest - a sense of control over what I choose to put in my body)

It sounds like you are having some great NSV's - AND I agree with the others - 6lb is still a big success!

Hobroe, I had a similar experience and reaction.  For me, it was the second round that was frustrating.  I'm not especially patient, especially with myself, so I'm learning that patience with myself is another thing I need to develop - not just when it comes to food plans and weight.

All the metaphors about marathons and journeys just make me feel tired and discouraged - they don't fit my personality type - so I decided to tell myself it's like a sailboat regatta.  Much more fun.  And maybe more apt, because you don't go in a straight line, and sometimes you're going fast and sometimes slow, and there's not a lot of point to it if you aren't enjoying the wind and water.  Also, what I like about sailing is that you are harnessing the power of nature instead of working against it (why I hate marathon running!)  - which is, I think, a lot like this style of eating.  We're giving nature a fighting chance.

My mindset now is that as I find MY healthy (discovering, for instance,  on the one-meal break between whole-30s,that a couple of glasses of wine made me feel crummy, not great,), all the things I want to fix (energy, weight, general health) are gradually going to come to a new equilibrium.  This is different from "I did this to get that result, and it didn't work."    Which is how I was feeling.  It also helps me to say to myself, "I can have whatever I want."  "I don't want stuff with flour and sugar in it, because I want to feel awesome."   

I don't know if any of this helps.  Mainly I wanted to say, you are not alone, and don't let the discouragement derail you.  Focus on the NSVs - maybe write them at the top of your calendar page - and stay in the party!

I also have been restricting calories for years and am sure I have a messed-up metabolism, although I eat very healthy already. I am 69, 5'5", and am 145. I am addicted to the scale and had hubby hide it. Hope to reset metabolism, improve energy, mood, and sleep. Not expecting weight loss, but eating more protein and more healthy fats and giving up grains, dairy, wine, etc. seems like my last hope for giving up calorie restrictions and eating a "normal" diet I can live with. It's obvious I need to exercise more, which is walking/ treadmill for me. No health problems other than moderate low back pain.

• Moderators

You've started a really wonderful conversation here that many of us needed to revisit! Thank you for that.

I'd like to add that a six pound weight loss on W30 is more than likely a six pound fat loss. If you've done crash diets in the past and lost 6-10 pounds in a week, likely very little of that was fat and mostly water, perhaps even muscle mass. Remember that the scale doesn't tell us what, exactly, we've lost; and it certainly doesn't promise that whatever we've lost will stay off. However, with W30, you're setting yourself up for sustainable fat loss. Trust that over your past experiences with crash diets and whatever your monkey mind is telling you about the number on the scale.

The marketing world wants you to want to be thin as fast as possible. 

So very true. And, the marketing world wants you to believe you can get thin fast. However, it's much more invested in making sure that even if you lose weight fast you'll always get fat again so you keep coming back for more of their paid weight loss schemes that don't work. Seriously. They literally set us up to fail in order to maximize their profit. It's a vicious cycle orchestrated by greed. Let's not forget that. Ever.

And keeping that in mind, we have to shift all of our expectations. We've been fed a pack of lies, and if we continue to believe effective weight loss looks like the yo-yo model (without the return back up), then we're complicit in the lies and destruction. Instead, let's explode those faulty expectations and dive into the new model of the W30 that puts our lives and health back into our own hands. Release the fear and embrace the revolution!

Congrats on your weight loss! I'm about to start my first 30 tomorrow and this was so good to read. I often forget that it's not about losing the weight as fast as possible, but about eating healthy and treating my body right. Keep fighting the good fight!

• 5 months later...

I just want to say how happy I am that I found this post! I'm on day 17 and have felt that a lot of magic has been there but also a lot of the remainder magic hasn't. I'm desperate to start seeing fat loss and weight loss results to no avail. But it's so great to be reminded the reason why I started this journey: to finally be on my way to a truly healthy and HAPPY lifestyle. I definitely feel I am there and know that given time, consistency, and above all PATIENCE, I'll finally be the person I've always wanted to be. Thanks for the inspiration everyone :)

In a year that would be 72 pounds if you continued to lose at that rate. I think that it's great you lost 6 lbs and how nice has it been not to be hungry?  Every diet I have ever done has left me waiting for my next meal, snacking all day and sometimes going to sleep just so I didn't eat anything else for the day due to hunger.  I am not weighing myself today, and I will be continuing with the program, but I made a list on my phone about what I hope to accomplish from doing this program and what I'm seeing now that 30 days has passed.  Focus on all the good and try not to think about the scale.  I broke up with the scale last year and it has been the best thing for me. Good luck and congrats!   

• 1 month later...

Hi... Well I finished my whole30, and I didn't lose anything either and I was so disappointed that I started crying, thank God for my husband he comfort me. But like I keep reading its not about the scale if not the other benefits from eating well and that worked for me, even my dress fits loss and my skin is clear. But i been dealing with my menopause and its not easy but i'm hanging on, Thank God. I am going to try again whole30 for the month of April.

God is Good All the Time... :D

Mela

I'm on Day 29, and I know I haven't lost much. Haven't hit the scale, but I know what I look like at 142, and I am not there yet. ;) But, I feel better and look better. I started at 147 and was hoping to lose 7, but I don't know how realistic that was! Even if I lose .5 pound, that's still better! I know this is a healthier way of eating and I am going to stick with it. Plus, all the food I am eating is so delicious! Reintro period should be interesting. Will try one food at a time and see how it goes. But I have a feeling I'll be avoiding grains and dairy for the long haul.

Okay... So at Day 33, I am down 2.2 pounds. Which is a lot better than gaining and better than staying the same. :)

My complexion and cystic acne has finally cleared up.

My energy is much more stable throughout the day.

I have finally, with much suffering and perseverance, become fat adapted. No more sugar burning!

I feel better, and look better, and my clothes are fitting so much more comfortably.

The pain I have experienced in my left hip flexors and hamstring origin has diminished.

I will be sticking with this way of eating.

I did have sangria last night (and asked them to use club soda instead of Sprite!), and it was delicious, and so far, no ill effects. However, I don't drink much or often, so I'm not terribly concerned about alcohol. I will relax about the added sugar ingredients, and I am looking forward to having a Mexican Hot Cocoa (still, without sugar and using unsweetened cashew milk), when I feel like it.

Archived