My Whole30 Commitment

GinnyR

Whole30 T - 9 days

While reading the first couple chapters of Whole30 so many things resonated with me. I am currently starting my second week of no bread, cereal, pasta, or processed carbs but I'm discovering that I am compensating with overindulging in other carbs - mostly rice and corn/popcorn but also ice cream. I was beginning to suspect that I wasn't getting to the root of the problem when I read about Whole30 and the lightbulb went off.

I need to stop dipping my toe into the healthy end of the pool and just dive in.

I've already bought a rice-centric week of food, and next weekend I am going to visit a friend. The timing is best for me to start on Monday July 20th. Thirty days after that will be August 18th, which will be 20 days before I run a half-marathon. This is my husband's and my annual end-of-summer beach celebration and the plan is for me to get into the post Whole30 groove before I put myself to the test like that.

I will spend parts of the next 9 days getting ready by reviewing/purging my pantry and letting my family know what I am embarking on. They are overall very supportive and I expect nothing different with this. They stuck by me when, on a lark of "what would it be like to ...?" I stopped drinking alcohol for a year! I chronicled that here if you're interested in reading about how that went. 

http://ginnyreese.blogspot.com/

Whole30 T - 8 days

Starting my "If/Then" list.

IF I resent the fact that I can't eat what others are eating THEN I will focus on remembering where that food has led me, and how it has let me down all my life.

IF I attempt to self-sabatogue by not having Whole30 food around THEN I will stop what I am doing and Get. Some. Good. Food. There is currently nothing in my life that prevents me from going to a grocery store any time of the day or night.

IF I want to eat when I am not hungry THEN I will take the dog for a walk or do some stretches or put on a dance jam. And THEN I will look back and see what triggered the quest for food. I know it won't do me any good to try to figure it out when I am in the downward spiral.

Good luck on your whole30!

I really like your if/then approach. I know that I always get side tracked or frustrated and give up at the same points when I try to clean up my diet, and preparing for those situations with specific tools/actions like you do here is a really great way to avoid that. I think i'll make my own list!

Whole30 T - 6 days

A bit of panic is setting in thinking about all of the "can't have"s. When I went without drinking alcohol for a year I discovered that the thinking about not drinking at whatever event was generally more difficult than the actual not drinking. I am hoping the same is true with this. I've done bits and pieces of this many times over but this is the first time I am laying it all out on the line and committing to healthy eating 24/7 with no slip-ups, no excuses.

It's daunting but not difficult. Difficult is not having any food or not being able to feed your children. Choosing healthy foods is a luxury and I need to remember that.

And quit whining to myself about not eating pizza for a month ...

Whole30 T - 4 days

We got an offer on our house yesterday with a settlement date in ... 30 days. What a perfect excuse not to start this program, right? We don't know where we're moving yet, so I have to search for rentals while packing up a three story house while eating good whole food.

Sounds daunting, but what else do I have to do? My commitment is intact.

Whole30 T - 2 days

The binge eating has been of epic proportions. In the past week I have had wings and beer, pizza, sausage biscuits and gravy, enchiladas, rice, rice, and more rice, as well as quite a bit of wine. I feel like crap. I am going to go through such withdrawal when I start on Monday, but the silver lining is that I will definitely know how it feels when I eat all of the wrong food. I am bloated, tired, and totally congested. I regret my food choices this week but the week is behind me and there's nothing I can do about it now.

Tomorrow, which is T - 1 day aka Day Zero, I will spend the day preparing food for the first couple days of the week. I do NOT want to be in a position where I am hungry/tired/bored/stressed and I don't have any clean foods to eat.

Whole30 - Day 2

There is so much upheaval in my life right now. I've sold my house and we're looking around for someplace else to live. We are also moving my father from the east coast to the west coast, so lots of phone calls and coordination with that.

Oddly enough it is comforting to be doing the Whole30 during this. I don't have to worry at all about binge eating or over-indulging as a way to relieve stress because I made this COMMITMENT to myself to start and finish the 30 days.

The recipes from the Whole30 book are excellent so far. I know it's only been two days worth of food but I'm loving it.

Whole 30 - Day 3

The recipes do make a lot of food. I completely skipped making anything new last night/today because I have leftovers from the earlier part of the week. It makes my decision to only buy food for the first four days seem like a really good idea! I added spinach to the spaghetti squash and tomato mix from dinner on Monday and put a fried egg on it for breakfast this morning. The spinach was a good addition! So that made four meals out of one recipe. Good to know.

I've got the headache and sleepiness thing going on, but I've got my eye on the prize. If this works as it says in 27 days I will be feeling much better!

Way to go!! I didn't start feeling super good until Day 15 (I am now on day 22). It was kind of like a switch for me. I felt awful and emotional (really really emotional) and then I wake up on Day 15 and I feel amazing even though I got so little sleep the night before. Great job for sticking with it during a big move!! 

Way to go!! I didn't start feeling super good until Day 15 (I am now on day 22). It was kind of like a switch for me. I felt awful and emotional (really really emotional) and then I wake up on Day 15 and I feel amazing even though I got so little sleep the night before. Great job for sticking with it during a big move!! 

Thanks for the encouragement Michelle! I felt HORRIBLE last night and again this morning. Hungry and then, after eating a few bites of really good tasting food, nauseous and no longer interested in eating. I know not to skip meals so it is taking me a long time for each meal. I guess that's a good thing!

More stress today as I travel to pack up my dad and send him with my sister to live across the country. This is my first Whole30 traveling day. Good luck to me!

Whole30 T - 6 days

A bit of panic is setting in thinking about all of the "can't have"s. When I went without drinking alcohol for a year I discovered that the thinking about not drinking at whatever event was generally more difficult than the actual not drinking. I am hoping the same is true with this. I've done bits and pieces of this many times over but this is the first time I am laying it all out on the line and committing to healthy eating 24/7 with no slip-ups, no excuses.

It's daunting but not difficult. Difficult is not having any food or not being able to feed your children. Choosing healthy foods is a luxury and I need to remember that.

And quit whining to myself about not eating pizza for a month ...

I know everybody says this, but really focus on the "haves" rather than the "can't haves."  There is some amazing food out there! I am on Day 19, and I feel so strong (not thinner, but strong. Lol). It's as if I can resist anything easily. I enjoy delicious chicken salad with homemade mayonnaise, spicy puttanesca sauce with home-spiced sausage (easy), beautiful steaks, and an awesome array of vegetables just to name a few things on my list. I feel less stressed out and more confident since eating is still pleasurable without ruling my life!  

Whole30 - Day 5

My travel day yesterday went well. I only ate out for lunch and I ordered a garden salad with broiled salmon. It was expensive for what it was, but I am worth it!

My headaches are subsiding, and while I don't have a ton of energy I can feel it coming back. 

Whole30 - Day 6

Seriously, it is like there is a conspriacy against me to see how much stress can be heaped upon me this first week of the Whole30! I am staying the course, however, and hoping that soon I will feel that burst of health and vigor that will get me through this.

Tonight we are having the Baby Back Ribs from the Whole30 book. They look tasty!

Whole30 - Day 6

I am defintely going to tone down the heat on those ribs next time. Wow!

Today's brunch is proof that food doesn't have to look good to taste good. I had leftover sweet potatoes and squash from the brisket dinner we had a couple nights ago, so I pureed them. Then I added that baby food looking mixture to some sauteed spinach, and heated it all with the leftover brisket. For crunch I chopped up a couple pecans. It looks a mess but tastes great!

Also I had my first Forbidden Food dream last night. I remember thinking that no one would know, but then realized that I couldn't lie to my friend Lisa about it so I had to start all over. Thank goodness for friends, even in dreams! Still, I can't shake the guilty feeling. This is weird stuff!

Whole30 - Day 8

I am going out to a restaurant tonight where I just happen to know the manager (my son) and the head chef (his friend). I got a copy of their new menu and after a couple of texts and a phone call I am confident that I will be able to eat a Whole30 compliant meal! Pre-planning really is key.

I made the breakfast sausages yesterday and had a couple this morning, along with the leftover squash puree and some broccoli . The sausage are really tasty and I am getting into this concept of Meal One being non-traditional breakfast foods. I also made the chicken bone broth in the crock pot and will be sipping on some shortly.

Whole30 - Day 9

So here it is, day 9. I'm settled into somewhat of a routine and thinking that this way of eating is easy if you are prepared. Dinner out last night was a snap and I didn't allow myself to miss anything - not the drinks, not the bread, not the dessert - because I know that what I am doing will last longer than any of those things. The company was excellent and the food was both amazingly tasty and compliant.

The chicken bone broth is excellent. I liked having it with breakfast this morning!

When I went without drinking alcohol for a year I discovered that the thinking about not drinking at whatever event was generally more difficult than the actual not drinking.

Did it stay that way the whole year, or taper off as you went along?

Did it stay that way the whole year, or taper off as you went along?

I stopped torturing myself with the thinking about not drinking shortly after the year started. There were only a couple of instances where actually not drinking was difficult and they were dispersed throughout the year. Mostly they revolved around certain places, so I stopped going to those places. Also, I didn't accept a number of invitations to local wineries or bars for happy hours. I was commited to not drinking but I wasn't going to test myself! Are you thinking about doing it?

Whole30 - Day 10 (not the same as T- 20 days)

I'm not going to think about a countdown to when I stop this way of eating. I have 70 pounds to lose, as well as headaches and joint pain. I know that isn't all going to be solved in 30 days.

Good food today, with eggs and potatoes for breakfast. I really love that combination and it has been a purposeful decision not to eat it every morning. I think I could eat it every morning but I don't want to get bored with it or tired of eating it.

Tonight I am making zuchini pasta for the first time. I bought one of those veggie pasta maker things so hopefully it will go smoothy!

Whole30 - Day 11

Preparation really is key. I'm looking in my refrigerator and I see dinner for tonight, along with eggs, an avocado, and some veggies for breakfast tomorrow. Lunch is sketchy unless I end up with leftovers from dinner tonight. Food panic may be setting in. An empty frig means too many bad choices are waiting for me outside these walls.

I do wish I felt better. Well, I feel better than I did when I started but I don't feel BETTER better, like no headaches or tiredness. I feel like I could sleep for days.

Whole30 - Day 12

I definitely need some encouragement. I'm mad that I made this commitment and wish I hadn't done it. Rational me still believes that this is a worthwhile endeavor but irrational me wants some pasta and a glass of wine. Or a nice cold beer. I keep telling myself that I feel like this because my body is rebelling against the good foods - or rather the no more bad foods - but my body still feels like this, you know? Aarrgghh.

I took a "nap" when I came home from work. Two and a half hours later I woke up starving, with no desire to cook the delicious sounding dinner that I had planned for tonight. Instead I grabbed some ground turkey, added curry and some vegetables, and called it a day. It wasn't bad but it wasn't particularly good either. I hate it when food is "just fuel" and I don't really enjoy it. I hate it that I let myself get so hungry that it made me mad.

Tiger Blood better show up soon!

Whole30 - Day 13

I somehow made it through last night without either giving in to the cravings or killing anyone. It was definitely the hardest day so far.

I am coming to the conclusion that eggs are not going to be a primary part of my diet. When I eat them in the morning I feel queasy - and that makes me really sad. I wonder if I bought organic eggs if it would make a difference.

Whole30 - Day 642

Just kidding. It's Day 15 but these last couple have been pretty long days. I'm not sleeping well and I still have an incredible 2:30 slump. I believe stress is playing a pretty big factor in how this Whole30 is manifesting in me. We are selling our house with a 30 day closing date which coincides with my Whole30. This is the both the best possible and the worst possible time for me to be doing this. I'm glad I am not stress eating, but needing to eat clean is adding slightly to my stress.

Making the Curry Chicken with grilled peppers, onions, and pineapple for dinner tonight.

Archived