Cooking spray

BirdyP

Ok, ok,.....really! I don't use cooking spray often, actually try to avoid it BUT!! BIG BUT! I just looked at my Ingrediants. Soy, soy lecithin, canola oil. All bad, right? So when I don't use cooking spray I use coconut oil or EVO. I guess I just worry about using too much of these. Thoughts? Advice?

• Moderators

You cannot use ANY of that cooking spray while doing a Whole30. You can use coconut oil, ghee, or EVOO all the time with excellent benefit. EVOO is not a good oil for high heat, but I have used it for that a little.

Guest Andria

You measure the fat based on the recipe or what you feel you need to appropriately cook your food.  However, if most of that fats stays in the pan, you would want to add additional fat to your meal to meet the template recommendations.  I find different foods absorb different amounts of fat, so I gauge accordingly.  Generally , speaking cooking fat is not counted as far as the template is concerned.

Looks like a coconut spray without soy does exist:

The brand I have is called "ProChef - Extra Virgin Coconut Oil Cold Pressed" cooking spray.  It does not have soy lecithin in the ingredients list.  I bought it at Costco up here in Canada.

I bought the coconut spray. This is no good?

Kirkor already nailed it. What does the label on the bottle say? The coconut sprays that I've come across seem to all have soy lecithin added to them. Is yours clear of off-plan ingredients?

It's possible to buy oil misters that allow you to turn compliant oils into a non-stick spray. I have an oil mister filled with avocado oil that I use to spray casserole dishes.

Has anyone ever tried putting oil in a regular hardware store-type spray bottle?

product_detailed_image_29945_102.jpg

Ha! Great minds think alike!! I actually considered trying that. But I ended up finding the mister and love it!! I got mine at Bed, Bath & Beyond for $12.99 I think. It is SO worth it! I use it EVERY day, oh I mean EVERY meal I cook at home!!

• 2 years later...

Frustrated to the point of tears. Somehow I missed the very fine print citing Lecithin as an ingredient on the coconut oil spray that says "made with 100% coconut oil." Okay, now I get it, 100% coconut oil is an ingredient, the product is not 100% coconut oil. I am on day 26. Day 26. :'{

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Brightside said:

Frustrated to the point of tears. Somehow I missed the very fine print citing Lecithin as an ingredient on the coconut oil spray that says "made with 100% coconut oil." Okay, now I get it, 100% coconut oil is an ingredient, the product is not 100% coconut oil. I am on day 26. Day 26. :'{

Please dont cross post into multiple threads as per forum rules.  A moderator answered your question on the other thread you started.

Archived