Going out for Indian food. What can I have?

Bexstoth

Nothing planned yet, but just contemplating going out for a meal before the end of my whole30 would be nice! (on day 10) and I'm wondering if it's possible? 

Could I have something like a shish kebab starter (not a tandoori thing because they will use yoghur to marinade) 

then a chicken curry dish as long as there are no legumes/ dairy in it. If they cook with ghee that will be ok, right? with some bombay potatoes as a side? 

does this sound like I can have a meal out?! 

Guest Andria

You will need to do the research for yourself and check the menu and call ahead of going to the restaurant to determine what, if any, non-compliant ingredients would be used in preparing the meal.  I think your biggest issue would be cooking oils. I do not know from experience, but I would think it would be unlikely they would use real ghee for cooking due to the expense.  Apparently, there is a vegetable oil based ghee that many Indian restaurants will use to reduce costs.  This contains partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (i.e. trans fats = bad stuff).  Shish kebabs could still be marinaded with non-compliant ingredients and curry sauces would likely be pre-made and may contain some non-compliant ingredients, as well.

Guest Andria

Oh, I'm sorry :(

I know it's fun to go out to a restaurant and have someone cook a meal for you.  But honestly, when I go out to eat anymore - unless it is a pretty high end restaurant (which is RARE) - I am usually disappointed with the meal and wish I had just stayed home and cooked myself.  If it's Indian food you want, maybe take a day when you have low stress and extra time and prepare yourself a really nice Whole30 compliant Indian meal from scratch.  If you just want to not be bothered and have a meal prepared by someone else, I think a simpler option - like a steakhouse - would be easier to navigate while on the Whole30.

Good luck :)

I think I am going to do a really nice HOT curry at home this week :) 

On day 10 and can really see why today/ tomorrow are quitting days! Just feeling a bit fed up of eating meat/fish/eggs at every. single. meal. A bit low on ideas, been out to 2 summer fairs this weekend so surrounded by craving inducing food while having my packed lunch and just a bit fed up. Trying to get inspired with recipe books and planning the meals for the week but just feeling a bit low. 

I miss curry's too :( I made a fish curry last week but I miss our usual restaurant!

If you're in the UK, you can eat out with a little substitution and a few smiles - I've managed it at a Pizza Express, a Nandos, a Weatherspoons, a steak restaurant (Flat Iron, London), and a Harvester :)

Granted, still not a curry though..

Speaking of curry, I have a friend who is insistent on taking me out to try it since I've never had it. I would love to cook it, but she insists on a specific restaurant. Wondering if it's possible, and I'm not entirely sure what questions I need to ask.

I'm looking at the menu online, and there are different options for coconut milk or curry sauce, so I would assume the best choice is to get one with coconut milk and make sure that all of the things mixed in are compliant (Ex from menu: "Curry with coconut milk, bamboo

shoot, bell pepper, zuchini, and sweet basil"). So, based on that, I'm mostly wondering what questions I need to ask whenever I call the restaurant besides what oils they use. I don't know enough about curry and how it's normally made, etc. =/ Thanks!

Ask about marinades in the meat, cooking oils, if there's sugar/honey/molasses/etc. added to the spice mix. Ask if they make their curry paste in house or if they use one that's already prepared. Pre-made will up your risk regarding non-compliant ingredients, but even if they make it in house you'll want to ask what goes into it.

Archived