Day 1 - July 12th :)

Teachkk

I'm definitely 'frexited'!  I am recovering from an intense hip surgery and need a little help getting back on track.  I'm also a cancer survivor (2013), so hope that the Whole30 supports my health goals - lose weight, gain energy, and be healthy overall.  I've found through the last couple of years and the health issues I've had, support groups are amazing.  It's great to connect with others who can relate to what is happening, how you are feeling, etc.  Thanks in advance for helping me through this!

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope you had a great first day!  I'm a cancer survivor as well (2011) and am hoping that this plan helps me to become healthier overall!  I am finding this web site and forum very useful in starting this program.  I am on day 1 today.  Best of luck to you this month!

I'm definitely 'frexited'!  I am recovering from an intense hip surgery and need a little help getting back on track.  I'm also a cancer survivor (2013), so hope that the Whole30 supports my health goals - lose weight, gain energy, and be healthy overall.  I've found through the last couple of years and the health issues I've had, support groups are amazing.  It's great to connect with others who can relate to what is happening, how you are feeling, etc.  Thanks in advance for helping me through this!

Teachkk, I'm 'frexited' too! I'm starting my day 1 today. This is my 3rd try :(. I'm hoping that 3rd time's a charm! I started over this many times because I was cheating & didn't even know it! Lesson learned: READ MY LABELS! Anyway, My goals are very similar to yours. I'm recovering from my second complete ankle reconstruction surgery. (Pins, screws, cadaver ligaments & tendons, and all!) I was a college athlete, so it has KILLED me to be off my feet for nearly 2 years. I've gained a ton of weight, and my ankle is inflamed ALL the time. My energy is so low. I need a jump-start getting back into working out (slowly,) and losing this weight so my clothes fit again! I'm excited to share and connect with others on this life changing journey. Best wishes to you all!

YES, SO much food prep! It's worth it, though. Having the foods available that we can eat is critical to success! I'm really looking forward to seeing what less inflammation feels like, too. I don't know about the breakouts on day 2.. maybe there's another thread that talks about that..

Has anyone begun to experience the "kill everything" stage? UGH... End of day 3. Not craving any food. Definitely a glass of wine.  Stressful day at work and so grumpy! 

I haven't yet, but am preparing for it :)...or preparing my family!!  I hope the day went okay.  I would kill for a glass of red wine - that is definitely my biggest craving.  I love to pour a glass when I'm making dinner - and spending so much time preparing food is making me miss my wine more :(  Let's  keep each other on track!!  

Teachkk, I'm 'frexited' too! I'm starting my day 1 today. This is my 3rd try :(. I'm hoping that 3rd time's a charm! I started over this many times because I was cheating & didn't even know it! Lesson learned: READ MY LABELS! Anyway, My goals are very similar to yours. I'm recovering from my second complete ankle reconstruction surgery. (Pins, screws, cadaver ligaments & tendons, and all!) I was a college athlete, so it has KILLED me to be off my feet for nearly 2 years. I've gained a ton of weight, and my ankle is inflamed ALL the time. My energy is so low. I need a jump-start getting back into working out (slowly,) and losing this weight so my clothes fit again! I'm excited to share and connect with others on this life changing journey. Best wishes to you all!

Let's work together then!  I had arthroscopic surgery to my right hip for a labral tear and impingement.  I've gained weight too, as I was in pain for a couple years leading up to diagnosis and surgery and then on crutches for 2 months before I began to learn to walk again.  I'm almost 5 months po and feel so much better.  Time to lose the weight though!!  Good luck :)

Hope you had a great first day!  I'm a cancer survivor as well (2011) and am hoping that this plan helps me to become healthier overall!  I am finding this web site and forum very useful in starting this program.  I am on day 1 today.  Best of luck to you this month!

You too!!  So important to focus on health in a wholistic way.  Hope you had a good day!

I would love to keep in touch with those who started today...let's try to post updates and keep each other motivated.  Today was easier than yesterday, although I still had a little headache.  I came home and made the halibut with the citrus sauce, and my hubby bbqed steak while I made the chimichurri sauce.  Both were amazing.  I like variety, so am trying to make a few different things every day so I'm not bored.  I'm also lucky that I'm home from work about 4:00.  

Did anyone else have trouble sleeping last night?  I was wired going to bed...kind of thought I'd be pretty tired, but took about 2 hours to fall asleep.  That's definitely not my norm.

Anyway - have a good evening everyone.  We finished Day 3 :)

You got it Teachkk!  I'm really not struggling with food but that glass of wine is what's giving me the most struggle.  Need to find some kind of tea that has a similar effect.  I'm eating a ton more than normal because I got to the point I just didn't eat much. Lots of smoothies and stuff.  And I had started getting starved after eating white potatoes a few hours later.  Has your stomach started feeling better yet?  I'm having tons of bloating and abdomen pain. :(  Ready for this to kick in!

You got it Teachkk!  I'm really not struggling with food but that glass of wine is what's giving me the most struggle.  Need to find some kind of tea that has a similar effect.  I'm eating a ton more than normal because I got to the point I just didn't eat much. Lots of smoothies and stuff.  And I had started getting starved after eating white potatoes a few hours later.  Has your stomach started feeling better yet?  I'm having tons of bloating and abdomen pain. :(  Ready for this to kick in!

If you find a tea that mimics wine...please share and then patent that stuff!! Haha - you'd be a millionaire!

A little bloated, but overall not bad. I'm looking forward to feeling 'normal' too...a little on edge wondering what to expect each day. Happy today went pretty easy though!

I started July 12th too and would love to support each other here! I did my first W30 back in Jan/Feb and felt great, lost weight -- then got back into bad habits AND broke my foot on Easter, so interesting to see so many other of you dealing with injuries. My hat is off to you cancer survivors, I could not imagine it. I have tried to re-start a W30 a couple of times, but Sunday something clicked and I feel like I'm committed here. So Day 3, yesterday afternoon I was a combined "need a nap" and "kill all things." Today I was tired and really fading, needing food...I think I am finally feeing ok now at 6:30pm after a full lunch, snack and dinner. Whatever it takes as long as what I'm putting in my mouth is W30! I too would like a glass of wine but trying to keep my eyes on the prize, it's not that long to skip the wine....

I would love to keep in touch with those who started today...let's try to post updates and keep each other motivated. Today was easier than yesterday, although I still had a little headache. I came home and made the halibut with the citrus sauce, and my hubby bbqed steak while I made the chimichurri sauce. Both were amazing. I like variety, so am trying to make a few different things every day so I'm not bored. I'm also lucky that I'm home from work about 4:00.

Did anyone else have trouble sleeping last night? I was wired going to bed...kind of thought I'd be pretty tired, but took about 2 hours to fall asleep. That's definitely not my norm.

Anyway - have a good evening everyone. We finished Day 3 :)

UGH!!!!  Really wanted my smoothie with all the usual "safe" ingredients today but behaved and made veggies and eggs.  Used a tbs of coconut oil, a red pepper, tons of spinach, tomatoes, turmeric and red pepper... and eggs.  Followed up by blueberries and a glass of safe coconut milk.  STARVED at 10:10am. How can you eat that much and still be hungry?  Definitely in my "kill all things" stage still. :(  Read for tiger blood to show up any time now.  Would LOVE support.

• Administrators

UGH!!!!  Really wanted my smoothie with all the usual "safe" ingredients today but behaved and made veggies and eggs.  Used a tbs of coconut oil, a red pepper, tons of spinach, tomatoes, turmeric and red pepper... and eggs.  Followed up by blueberries and a glass of safe coconut milk.  STARVED at 10:10am. How can you eat that much and still be hungry?  Definitely in my "kill all things" stage still. :(  Read for tiger blood to show up any time now.  Would LOVE support.

Morning!

What time was breakfast? How many eggs did you have in your meal? The recommendation is as many as you can hold in your hand without dropping; usually at least 3-4.  However many people (myself included) do not find maximum satiation with just eggs as protein and find that having a couple eggs with another cooked protein is far more suitable. Something worth trying.

I also wanted to mention that we do not recommend drinking any sort of milk substitute.  Drinking calories messes with your satiation signals (part of your problem, perhaps) because it digests at a much faster rate.  Since that was your fat, it would have zipped through your system leaving you hungry sooner.  (Also note that we recommend drinking cans of coconut milk to nursing and pregnant mommas and those trying to maintain or gain weight....so unless that is your context, you should leave off drinking the milk) Try adding some avocado, olives, homemade mayo to your breakfast instead of drinking a glass of coconut milk.  (Some people put coconut milk in their coffee which is fine as it is generally not the fat source and is just a small amount).

You can do this cleaninguplife!!!  I am still waiting for the kill all things stage - that made for a funny conversation with my husband this morning!!!  I gave him a warning ;)  I eat my eggs and healthy fat (this a.m. was a palm of almonds) and then bring a tupperware of fruit to snack on.  Find that it ties me over.  I still had a wicked time falling asleep last night - not sure what that is.  I tossed and turned for about 2 hours...ugh.  Today is going well though - Happy Day 4!!

Let's work together then!  I had arthroscopic surgery to my right hip for a labral tear and impingement.  I've gained weight too, as I was in pain for a couple years leading up to diagnosis and surgery and then on crutches for 2 months before I began to learn to walk again.  I'm almost 5 months po and feel so much better.  Time to lose the weight though!!  Good luck :)

YES! Let's! Sounds like we're really in a similar boat! Glad to hear you're feeling much better after surgery, that's awesome. I'm about 10 months PO from my 2nd surgery, & still having pain (which I'm attributing to the new "hardware.") I was laid up (not even crutches allowed) 2 different times in the last 2 years for 4 months each time. I'm SO over feeling sluggish, lazy & fat! I need to get my groove back. I'm in a lonely & very self-conscious place. If all goes as planned, it will be #whole30totherescue! 

• Administrators

You can do this cleaninguplife!!!  I am still waiting for the kill all things stage - that made for a funny conversation with my husband this morning!!!  I gave him a warning ;)  I eat my eggs and healthy fat (this a.m. was a palm of almonds) and then bring a tupperware of fruit to snack on.  Find that it ties me over.  I still had a wicked time falling asleep last night - not sure what that is.  I tossed and turned for about 2 hours...ugh.  Today is going well though - Happy Day 4!!

Hi Teachkk,

You might consider having 1-3 cups of veggies with your eggs and then tacking the fruit on at the end of the meal if you are still hungry.  This would be as per the template recommendation for best results during your Whole30.  Eating fruit as a snack doesn't allow your digestive system to rest between meals and will also cause your blood sugar to raise and then eventually plummet.  Fruit early in the day has also been reported by many of our members to cause late day cravings, false hunger and mood swings.

Note also that if nuts are your fat source, the serving is however many you can fit in a closed fist.  Nuts aren't the best source due to their imbalanced Omega 3:6 profile and the fact that they can be hard on the gut for some people.  They are an approved and healthy fat but shouldn't be your primary fat source.

I started July 12th too!! Had a horrible headache that afternoon but feel really good today. Almost too good - wondering why I'm not feeling worse!?!?

Hi Nikki! I was just reading through the, "what to expect day by day" section of the book and noticed something I hadn't before! Inset on the page (I'll have to look for the page #) there's a little paragraph talking about how each person's Whole30 is a little different depending on your diet before, etc., etc. It also said your experience could even be on a 2 week delay! So maybe you'll feel "worse" later?! Lol, for your sake I hope not. I hope you're just one of the ones who doesn't suffer tons. :)

Archived