Day 1 - July 12th :)

Teachkk

UGH!!!!  Really wanted my smoothie with all the usual "safe" ingredients today but behaved and made veggies and eggs.  Used a tbs of coconut oil, a red pepper, tons of spinach, tomatoes, turmeric and red pepper... and eggs.  Followed up by blueberries and a glass of safe coconut milk.  STARVED at 10:10am. How can you eat that much and still be hungry?  Definitely in my "kill all things" stage still. :(  Read for tiger blood to show up any time now.  Would LOVE support.

cleaninguplife, I totally hear you on the smoothies!! Seems harmless with all "safe" ingredients, but I guess it's not REALLY what our bodies need. I'm feeling "kill all the things," too. I only started Monday the 13th! Sounds like we should add more protein and veggies in to breakfast. I'm having waves of not wanting to eat at all (feeling SUPER bloated,) and being famished. I'm not understanding what my poor body is going through! Definitely makes me excited to see the result after I'm all "recovered," so to speak. Hang in there! We can do this!

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started July 12th too and would love to support each other here! I did my first W30 back in Jan/Feb and felt great, lost weight -- then got back into bad habits AND broke my foot on Easter, so interesting to see so many other of you dealing with injuries. My hat is off to you cancer survivors, I could not imagine it. I have tried to re-start a W30 a couple of times, but Sunday something clicked and I feel like I'm committed here. So Day 3, yesterday afternoon I was a combined "need a nap" and "kill all things." Today I was tired and really fading, needing food...I think I am finally feeing ok now at 6:30pm after a full lunch, snack and dinner. Whatever it takes as long as what I'm putting in my mouth is W30! I too would like a glass of wine but trying to keep my eyes on the prize, it's not that long to skip the wine....

lizzieforce, it is interesting to see all these other injuries! Makes me feel like I'm not alone in my struggle to get back to intense workouts and a healthy weight. I'd love to hear how you felt at the end of your first W30?! Was it everything you'd hoped it would be?! Hope you have a great day!

Hi Teachkk,

You might consider having 1-3 cups of veggies with your eggs and then tacking the fruit on at the end of the meal if you are still hungry.  This would be as per the template recommendation for best results during your Whole30.  Eating fruit as a snack doesn't allow your digestive system to rest between meals and will also cause your blood sugar to raise and then eventually plummet.  Fruit early in the day has also been reported by many of our members to cause late day cravings, false hunger and mood swings.

Note also that if nuts are your fat source, the serving is however many you can fit in a closed fist.  Nuts aren't the best source due to their imbalanced Omega 3:6 profile and the fact that they can be hard on the gut for some people.  They are an approved and healthy fat but shouldn't be your primary fat source.

Thanks so much!!  I don't find the book very user friendly - stuff all over the place and some things are not clear.  I guess its the teacher in me...I would have liked it more if it was linear and sequential.  I appreciate your help a lot.  

Hi Teachkk,

You might consider having 1-3 cups of veggies with your eggs and then tacking the fruit on at the end of the meal if you are still hungry.  This would be as per the template recommendation for best results during your Whole30.  Eating fruit as a snack doesn't allow your digestive system to rest between meals and will also cause your blood sugar to raise and then eventually plummet.  Fruit early in the day has also been reported by many of our members to cause late day cravings, false hunger and mood swings.

Note also that if nuts are your fat source, the serving is however many you can fit in a closed fist.  Nuts aren't the best source due to their imbalanced Omega 3:6 profile and the fact that they can be hard on the gut for some people.  They are an approved and healthy fat but shouldn't be your primary fat source.

btw - is that meal template in the book?  SO helpful!!!  

Thanks so much!!  I don't find the book very user friendly - stuff all over the place and some things are not clear.  I guess its the teacher in me...I would have liked it more if it was linear and sequential.  I appreciate your help a lot.  

Which book are you referring to?

It Starts With Food has the meal template visual in the book (and is very sequential).

The Whole30 has a written description of the meal template in the book. 

What do you find unclear? Ask away!  :)

Which book are you referring to?

It Starts With Food has the meal template visual in the book (and is very sequential).

The Whole30 has a written description of the meal template in the book. 

What do you find unclear? Ask away!  :)

Whole30 - maybe I should get a copy of 'It Starts With Food'.  I was surprised that the meal plan in the Whole30 book (I think page 196 - I'm not home right now) suggested a side of fruit with breakfast, so I'm confused.  I SO appreciate the support as I want to be successful with this and am still very happy at Day 4 (maybe I'm on a sugar high from the fruit ;)  

Whole30 - maybe I should get a copy of 'It Starts With Food'.  I was surprised that the meal plan in the Whole30 book (I think page 196 - I'm not home right now) suggested a side of fruit with breakfast, so I'm confused.  I SO appreciate the support as I want to be successful with this and am still very happy at Day 4 (maybe I'm on a sugar high from the fruit ;)

What surprised you about fruit with breakfast?  Fruit is allowed (and optional) on a Whole30. From a best practices perspective, the advice is that fruit, if you choose to have it, should be eaten only with meals (not as a snack), and should not push vegetables off your plate at a meal. 

What surprised you about fruit with breakfast?  Fruit is allowed (and optional) on a Whole30. From a best practices perspective, the advice is that fruit, if you choose to have it, should be eaten only with meals (not as a snack), and should not push vegetables off your plate at a meal.

I think I will re-read it - I watched a clip of Melissa and Dallas and understood eat the 'chosen' foods whenever and in whatever quantity (The View - May 2015).  So I assumed if I didn't want the breakfast fruit for breakfast, I could use it as a snack.  I didn't see anything about not snacking at all - definitely could have been me missing it.  That's why when I read the above from another participant about not snacking on fruit, I was confused.  Lots to absorb - thanks for helping :)

I think I will re-read it - I watched a clip of Melissa and Dallas and understood eat the 'chosen' foods whenever and in whatever quantity (The View - May 2015).  So I assumed if I didn't want the breakfast fruit for breakfast, I could use it as a snack.  I didn't see anything about not snacking at all - definitely could have been me missing it.  That's why when I read the above from another participant about not snacking on fruit, I was confused.  Lots to absorb - thanks for helping :)

There are rules and then there are recommendations.  You might find this article helpful: http://whole30.com/2015/01/rules-recommendations/

Building meals to follow the meal template that satiate you for 4-5 hours, avoiding snacking and limiting fruit to meals only are recommendations. No sugar and no stepping on the scale are rules.

• Administrators

The eating fruit early in the day thing is just something that enough people have observed for themselves that we point it out to new members as something to watch for.  It doesn't mean you cannot or should not have fruit in the morning it just means that if all of a sudden you find yourself wishing you could climb in the cookie bag around 3pm, it's worth testing yourself without that fruit in the morning.  That's all.  :)

Hi Guys, Lots of posts here but just wanted to check in. alohakakou, I felt great at the end of my first Whole30. Lost 7 pounds, which at 5'4" and already a healthy weight was great but not too much, was hungry for meals (which I'm not when I'm eating SAD)...of course I thought I was not going to go so "off-road," but it happened. When I broke my foot I literally felt weak and I'm sure I could have given W30 eating more of a chance to sustain me through that, but I got to a point where I didn't want to eat -- but also didn't want to pass out -- so I had a cup of juice or a protein shake. Well, that's not "so bad," but I ended up more off-road than on-road after a while, so I'm looking forward to getting back to feeling good. 

So far, I'm on plan on eating. Been tired, that's for sure. Day 2 I already had a combined "need a nap" and "kill all things." For how tired I've been, I've also been waking up in the middle of the night. Sleep waking is a problem for me when I'm on the SAD, and my last W30 helped that, so that's something I'm also looking forward to improving.

Let's keep it up, everyone!

And I would say, I never really fully at "SAD," but you get what I mean. My things are sweet treats, cookies, etc., things that take me off-road. After my first W30 I generally at Paleo/W30, but adding in a piece of bread or cheese, etc., "here and there," well....got me headed in the wrong direction...

OK I seem to be the talkative one at the moment. So I just at "second breakfast." Day 4 and I'm still not hungry enough/can't get down a full breakfast before I have to be out the door. So, at 8:15 I had one egg over medium over spinach w/avocado, red onion & drizzled balsamic...now at 11am I just had leftover ground turkey with peppers & onions, salsa & avocado. I was starting to fade (worked out in between), but feel better now.  Lunch will be around 12:30, and I bet I'll be ready for it.

OK I seem to be the talkative one at the moment. So I just at "second breakfast." Day 4 and I'm still not hungry enough/can't get down a full breakfast before I have to be out the door. So, at 8:15 I had one egg over medium over spinach w/avocado, red onion & drizzled balsamic...now at 11am I just had leftover ground turkey with peppers & onions, salsa & avocado. I was starting to fade (worked out in between), but feel better now.  Lunch will be around 12:30, and I bet I'll be ready for it.

I have trouble with the portions too, but just try to make sure I've got a good protein and some fruit/veg + good fat.  I'm going to do some re-reading tonight to be sure I've got it all right :)  Your breakfasts sound great though!!  The visual that is attached to one of the posts here is fantastic...it will definitely help me in the future!

I appreciate everyone here - it's so nice to have people help out and inspire each other.  Let's keep this up :)

• Administrators

Hi Lizzie, are you having coffee before or with your breakfast? Coffee can be an appetite suppressant so it's best left until after breakfast if you are struggling with getting a proper template meal in.

You're 15 days in now, have you tried slowly increasing that breakfast size so that you can eliminate the two breakfast meals?  Tomorrow can you try adding a second egg?

I'm on Day 4, sorry if it was confusing as to what day I'm on. I am definitely in the habit of having coffee (and water) first thing when I get up, so delaying that until I eat would feel, uh, weird, but I am open to trying that. I am more hungry and able/willing to eat in the am than I was on Day 1 or 2, but not a "full" (3-egg) meal. I have a go-to recipe for an egg, sausage & veggie casserole, so I think if I make one of those to have on hand so it's really easy to get that breakfast done first thing, that will help me out. I'm having to get a kid motivated to get dressed, eat & ready for camp each morning so usually wait for "me time" until that's done...

• Administrators

I'm on Day 4, sorry if it was confusing as to what day I'm on. I am definitely in the habit of having coffee (and water) first thing when I get up, so delaying that until I eat would feel, uh, weird, but I am open to trying that. I am more hungry and able/willing to eat in the am than I was on Day 1 or 2, but not a "full" (3-egg) meal. I have a go-to recipe for an egg, sausage & veggie casserole, so I think if I make one of those to have on hand so it's really easy to get that breakfast done first thing, that will help me out. I'm having to get a kid motivated to get dressed, eat & ready for camp each morning so usually wait for "me time" until that's done...

OH!  Well Day 4 is more realistic for still struggling with breakfast.  I'm not sure why I thought you were on Day 15, sorry about that!  

For sure try not filling up on liquids (coffee or water) before breakfast and see how that works.  Obviously you're making progress compared to the first couple days so there's no reason to think that you won't continue to train your body to accept breakfast.  It's so important to balancing your hormones to eat breakfast within an hour of waking; it affects so much including sleep quality/duration.

Make sure your breakfast casserole has the equivalent of a palm of protein at least but other than that, I think that's a great idea!

And although I don't have kids myself, I imagine that by demonstrating the importance of taking 15 minutes to eat a proper breakfast, you will be ingraining healthy habits in your young one!

There are rules and then there are recommendations.  You might find this article helpful: http://whole30.com/2015/01/rules-recommendations/

Building meals to follow the meal template that satiate you for 4-5 hours, avoiding snacking and limiting fruit to meals only are recommendations. No sugar and no stepping on the scale are rules.

Thanks, Chris...that was very helpful.

Day 5!!!  1/6th of the way there :)  I slept amazing last night - cut out the early afternoon coffee yesterday as I wondered if it was affecting me differently with my change in eating...voila - fell right asleep!

I made the chicken cacciatore last night for dinner - it was amazing.  Read through more of the Whole30 book and ordered 'It Starts With Food' so that I'm more aware of the nitty gritty of this.  

Hope everyone is doing well and staying on track!!  I just had my 3 hard boiled eggs, one tomato, and 1/2 an avocado drizzled in lemon.  Aiming for no snacks today, as the meals are so large - let's see how it goes.

Hope everyone has an awesome Day 5 :)

Day 5 and I'm still here too! I'm looking over some recipes for tonight's dinner. Ate more yesterday but all on plan -- dinner was pork chops, broccolini & baked sweet potato (peeled, cubed & w/olive oil, salt & pepper) -- thought I would have leftover sweet potato to go with today's breakfast but I ate it all! Hang in there everyone!

I went out for dinner and managed! Had salmon and mixed veggies and club soda. Was nice to sit on a patio :). Hope others that started here are still doing well! Glad you had a good day lizzieforce :)

Day 6!  Still here too.  I picked a really tough time to do this with so many life changes, but then again, in the tech world there's ALWAYS changes going on. I don't have muffin top the past few days which is nice.  Had a friend ask me out but just didn't think I could handle sitting at a bar after a stressful day and just do water. Plus I feel guilty about taking up that bar stool.  I did wake up with enough energy to play with my dog which she loved!  Skipped coffee this morning and pretty tired.  I actually put the water in the carafe, put the coffee and cinnamon in the filter and turned on the pot yesterday.  An hour later when the coffee was still not done I realized I forgot to fill the water in the right spot. Oops! :)

Are you all still hanging in there too? Ready for weekend?

Day 6!  Still here too.  I picked a really tough time to do this with so many life changes, but then again, in the tech world there's ALWAYS changes going on. I don't have muffin top the past few days which is nice.  Had a friend ask me out but just didn't think I could handle sitting at a bar after a stressful day and just do water. Plus I feel guilty about taking up that bar stool.  I did wake up with enough energy to play with my dog which she loved!  Skipped coffee this morning and pretty tired.  I actually put the water in the carafe, put the coffee and cinnamon in the filter and turned on the pot yesterday.  An hour later when the coffee was still not done I realized I forgot to fill the water in the right spot. Oops! :)

Are you all still hanging in there too? Ready for weekend?

Having a great day today!!  Full of energy, slept well last night, and feel proud of myself if that doesn't sound too corny :)  I totally get the bar thing...was really hard last night sitting on the patio and everyone else (including my daughter and my husband) had a beer or a glass of wine and I had my club soda with lime.  After a few minutes of mourning ;), I got over it though - haha.  I am also beginning to see changes in my body and I'm so excited.  I find it brutally hard not to go on the scale, but I'm dedicated to following every rule, so have held off...so far.  

The weekend will be hard.  I live in Toronto and my husband and I have tickets to some of the PanAm events this weekend.  Will be lots of crappy food, hence amazing smells around.  Let's hang in there together - the disappearance of a muffin top is a pretty good motivator!!!!  I took a before pic and every time I want something, I plan on looking at it.  Keep in touch...glad to see you are still on here :)

Welcome to day 7 my friends!  Who is still with me?

I'm definitely still here! I'm loving this...so happy you are still here, too! Things have been great! Definitely went through the 'kill all things' stage this week. Funny thing is that I'm a Summer School Principal for grade 7/8 students. There was NO behavior (200 kids) Thursday or Friday...probably took one look at me when they arrived and knew!! Lol

Got a little sick of eggs for breaky, so put a lean pork roast in the slow cooker last night and baked a couple sweet potatoes. Sliced them into portions this a.m., and warmed one serving of each up in a fry pan with one tablespoon of clarified butter. Was great! Don't know what to call it, and hope it was Whole30 friendly, but it wasn't more eggs! Off to the Pan Am games in a bit...I'm sure we will find somewhere for dinner where I can get meat and veggies.

Hope you've been doing well!

Archived