Daily water intake

Jwillow

• Administrators

Hi jwillow,

We recommend that you drink at least half an ounce per pound of bodyweight.  200# = 100oz water.  No, substituting coconut water isn't a good idea.  Coconut water is really only recommended on extremely hot days or if you are doing outdoor activity that is prone to leaving you dehydrated.

Coconut Water: Read your labels

Most coconut waters are technically compliant, containing only natural sugars from the coconut. However, some brands add sugar to their ingredients, so read your labels. Anything with added sugar is out for your Whole30.

Tip: Coconut water is essentially a “light” fruit juice. If you’re involved in endurance athletics, work in a profession that leaves you prone to dehydration, or just want a refreshing treat, coconut water can be a fine choice for rehydration. Just don’t let coconut water take the place of plain old water in your daily routine.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.I1Vatm5u.dpuf

Firstly you should aim for half you body weight in ounces a day.  So a 128 lb person would drink eight 8 ounce glasses a day.

Coconut water is not recommended as a water substitution as it's more like juice - tolerated but not recommended.  Unless you activity levels were very high - then a coconut water might be recommended as an electrolyte replacement.

I would suggest reading the book "Your Bodies many cries for water" by Dr. Fereydoon Batmanghelidj

It's real technical, as the late Dr. was a genius, but also eye opening about how most of us take water for granted

Archived