Feeding baby after formula

Marceeruns

Please help!!! I am in the middle of my 4th Whole 30 and love the program. I have a 9 month old baby and as he approaches the 1 year mark where Dr's recommend switching from formula to whole milk I am debating what to do and find answers. I'm assuming that dairy wouldn't be the best choice for him since it isn't for adults but I don't know what the other best options would be so that he doesn't lack the important things for brain development etc that I'm told.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I want to have a game plan for when the time comes. Thank you in advance.. Marcee

Oh okay! well on that basis I can't imagine your doctor would recommend switching to whole milk at 1 year old. And dairy wouldn't be the best choice for him because he is dairy intolerant, not because it isn't the best choice for adults. I don't really understand your question :-/ he's dairy intolerant, he doesn't consume dairy. Assuming he's offered a full age appropriate balanced diet he doesn't need a formula/ dairy substitute after the age of 1. You could continue to offer his current formula or you could offer coconut milk or almond milk so somesuch. My kids drink milk because they like it and tolerate it. I don't feel it adds anything and I wouldn't substitute it if they didn't.

Yep, my youngest is dairy intolerant and was never offered an alternative once he was weaned off his hypoallergenic formula. It's worth noting that 50% of males who are dairy intolerant are also soy intolerant so maybe don't go down that route. Our dietician suggested rice milk as it was the least likely to cause him problems given the number of other allergies he had but he never liked it and we just perservered with trialling foods to improve his diet. At age 2.5yrs he had five foods he could eat and his health never suffered. Thankfully as he has gotten older his digestive system has matured and he has gradually been able to tolerate more & more - still no eggs, wheat, or dairy, and still no need for supplements of any kind.

Archived