Hard time- late night eating

I have had an issue with getting up at night and eating. I know I am doing it so it is not sleep eating. Tonight is my first night on the whole 30 and I am so scared that I will wake up and blow it and eat something I shouldn't. Any suggestions?

Make sure that you are eating enough at each of your meals, particularly meal three, and then should you waken rather than eat, take a drink of water and think about whether or not you are truly hungry (would you eat some steamed white fish & plain boiled potato or some other bland dish?), or if this is just a habit you've developed. If you  are truly hungry then have a little mini meal of protein & fat (& preferably veg) & then increase the size of your meals next day...

• Moderators

I wake up in the middle of the night hungry more often than I would like. Some nights it happens even when I have eaten a lot at every meal all day. It has become my new priority in working with the functional medicine doctor I am seeing now. I tell you this as someone who has experience with getting up from bed to eat.

Last night I ate a can of albacore tuna packed in olive oil and two fresh, heirloom tomatoes. Some nights I eat sardines and sauerkraut. Some nights I eat tuna and a cold baked sweet potato. Basically I eat a modest meal of protein, fat, and veggies. I learned the hard way that eating a can of fruit when I wake up hungry is inadequate. Some nights I could stay asleep after eating fruit, but too often I would wake up hungry again a few hours before my alarm and need to get up and go ahead and eat breakfast. 

Archived