Beef/Chicken/Veggie Broths

dehight

I've searched through the site and found several relevant topics but I still have a quick question about compliance. I was desperately searching for a compliant broth to use in a chili and found that most have yeast extract. I managed to find the Kitchen Basics brand which doesn't but the beef and chicken have honey. I was wondering about the veggie stock though. The listed ingredients are Vegetable Stock, Natural Flavor, and Spice and Herbs. Would this work? It just makes me wary because the sugar content is 4g whereas it was only "less than 1g" in the beef and chicken that included honey.

Thank you for the help. I'm on day 4 and don't want to restart because of something like this.

• Moderators

I stopped using broth when making chili. I include a large can of diced tomatoes when I make chili and that provides plenty of liquid. On a few occasions I have simply added water to the pot in place of broth. When you are making chili with flavorful meat, it makes its own broth. 

• 5 months later...

I stopped using broth when making chili. I include a large can of diced tomatoes when I make chili and that provides plenty of liquid. On a few occasions I have simply added water to the pot in place of broth. When you are making chili with flavorful meat, it makes its own broth. 

Thanks, Tom! This just saved my dinner tonight, as I did not have a compliant beef broth on hand to make Chili (and yes, I've learned I need to plan & prep in advance...newbie!).

• Moderators

I do this too... I"ve never actually heard of using broth for chili until I started coming to these forums... the liquid in the tomato (the beans back in the day) and the vegetables (I put zuke and mushrooms in mine) have plenty of liquid and it's all so flavorful!

I am trying to find a broth as well for other dishes. I am assuming yeast extract is not okay but I am not 100% sure.

Best avoid that one Ren, Nutritional Yeast is okay, some people who are sensitive to MSG have a reaction to Yeast Extract.

Some people have more luck with organic broths, but there's a lot of variation between locations and stores.

So I do not create another whole thread on a question that probably comes up often, can I ask about these ingredients? They are: beef stock, contains less that 2% of: salt, natural flavoring, yeast extract, carrots, celery, onions. They are ingredients for a beef broth. Originally I thought it was okay, but now am questioning the "beef stock" because it does not list what is in the stock? I know the yeast extract is not preferred, but technically compliant. Thanks!

• Administrators

So I do not create another whole thread on a question that probably comes up often, can I ask about these ingredients? They are: beef stock, contains less that 2% of: salt, natural flavoring, yeast extract, carrots, celery, onions. They are ingredients for a beef broth. Originally I thought it was okay, but now am questioning the "beef stock" because it does not list what is in the stock? I know the yeast extract is not preferred, but technically compliant. Thanks!

This broth would be fine.  Manufacturers can't "hide" things like soy, wheat, sugar etc in a general term (like "beef stock") so if the nasties were in there, they would have to state it on the label.

• 4 months later...

Archived