Whole Family starting October 1st and terrified; PUMPKIN SPICE!!!

Northern

We, the poppa, the momma, the 2 and 5 and newborn-year-old, are planning on starting this October 1st, 2015.

As I am due with our third child any day now (end of July) and then are starting our first serious year homeschooling in September, I think October seems the right time. Though, depending on sanity level and my ability to plan, we may start in September.

But.

PUMPKIN SPICE!

I am all about pumpkin spice. Like people who crave Christmas, I crave autumanl drinks and all the glory of the pumpkiny love.

Hope please?

• Administrators

Make pumpkin spice?  As in, the actual seasoning mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves etc.  Put it in your coffee grounds and brew away.  Find a compliant pumpkin spice tea (there is one in my area but you have to check labels).  Eat actual pumpkin and other squashes seasoned with some cinnamon and nutmeg and salt, roasted in the oven and used as a side dish to your main meals (not spiced and eaten as dessert, mind you!). 

"Pumpkin Spice" is notoriously used in baked goods and sugary beverages and is an excuse for people to fall for marketing ploys about how to have the coziest and bestest fall season all while eating the bejeebus out of these "limited time" treats.  As far as I'm concerned, the pumpkin spice people have bastardized the glory that is squash season.  It might be worth reframing how you see the squash season over the fall.  There are SO many squashes out there that if you roast as cubes tossed in fat, they will caramelize and be beautiful and creamy and naturally sweet and delicious.

• Moderators

For more spice blends in that vein, try Chinese 5 Spice or garam masala. I haven't tried them yet, but you might also like this rogan josh spice blend or this ras al hanout. Actually, that site -- The Clothes Make The Girl -- has a ton of spice blend recipes and foods using them. You might find a replacement for your pumpkin pie spice that you end up liking even better. (She's also the author of the Well Fed cookbooks, which I highly recommend.)

• Administrators

For more spice blends in that vein, try Chinese 5 Spice or garam masala. I haven't tried them yet, but you might also like this rogan josh spice blend or this ras al hanout. Actually, that site -- The Clothes Make The Girl -- has a ton of spice blend recipes and foods using them. You might find a replacement for your pumpkin pie spice that you end up liking even better. (She's also the author of the Well Fed cookbooks, which I highly recommend.)

Ras El Hanout tossed onto cubed butternut squash that is tossed in fat and then roasted on a metal pan (for maximum browning) at 450 until done is deeeelightful. It's sweet, it's spicy, it's creamy and so comforting.  Love.

Archived