What are a few simple things I can eat?

Brandon Sager

So I want to do this Whole30 diet and see how it affects me. The problem is I hate cooking complicated things. I am a fairly monotonous eater, so I just want 5-10 things I can eat by themselves, and that are easy and quick to prepare.

I am 16 and mostly do Crossfit workouts 5 days a week excluding weekends, so if that helps or will change what I should be eating in any way please let me know or give advice.

Thanks.

I would suggest just grilling up some chicken, steak and pork. If you have it pre-grilled and keep it in the fridge, your protein is good to go. Boil up some eggs too. And have lots and lots of veggies on hand. I like to chop them all up and keep them in large ziploc bags-then I can just cook up what I want in any combination depending on my mood.

The beauty of the whole30 is the simplicity of it! You can make your food as plain or seasoned/spicy as you like.

Good luck!

Hi Brandon!

You don't need to make it complicated, the most difficult part is cooking meat, as there is a limited amount of meat or seafood that you can purchase cooked. But you can simply brown up some beef or roast some chicken for quick protein and have it ready for your week. If you have a crock pot that can do all the work for you. Veges can all be raw if you don't want to take the time to cook them. And avocados are a fantastic food to eat daily.

Good luck and it's great that you are doing this at such an early age!

Speaking of homemade taco seasoning..here's the one I use. :) Courtesy of Allrecipes.com.

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper

• 3 weeks later...

I'm 23 and in college, so simple is very, very necessary. My favorite simple thing, especially for a packable lunch, is a salad. I take leftover chicken, pork, hard-boiled eggs, shrimp, or whatever I have, and I put it in a bowl with 3 cups of spring mix and a cup of cherry tomatoes. I pour some extra-virgin olive oil in a separate small container, sometimes with a splash of lemon juice or vinegar, and when it's time to eat I pour my dressing on it and eat. I eat this Every. Single. Day. Sometimes twice.

If you're willing to try your hand at something "complicated," say for a Sunday dinner, try roasting two chickens like this: http://counterculturecooking.com/2012/roast-chicken-2/. It's really easy to do, you don't need the herbs if you don't have them, and you can just throw some microwavable steamed veggies together and call it dinner. Plus your family will be super impressed. I've made it for myself and my fiance 4 times and he's impressed every time.

Everyone in the family can eat it and you're guaranteed plenty of leftovers to make anything you want with.

Archived