Joining Whole 30 August 1

RochelleKK

My husband and I are starting the Whole 30 on August 1. OUr son and daughter in law did it in join and are very pleased with how they feel. We have the book and are reading it together. We have already tried some of the recipes and they are quite good.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm currently doing a whole30 (my 5th, started July 1st) and I'm planning on continuing through August until the first week of September when my son goes back to school. I'll most likely have a horrid reaction to gluten (it has been escalating over the last year) but my dr wants to test it properly and I don't want to ruin any of our precious summer hols being ill.

I'm hoping it'll be ok if I join you to keep myself in line? X

I've been eating compliant lunches and dinners, but still eating dairy and sugar/stevia. I've quit my Whole30 twice already, so I feel even more determined now. I sat down yesterday and wrote out my reasons for wanting to do a Whole30, so when I hit a rough patch, I can read them and help reinforce the WHY of what I'm doing. I'm considering starting a Whole7 on Friday, then breaking for my daughter's birthday on August 1st and starting a true Whole30 on August 2nd, as I'd planned. I'm actually considering a Whole66, as this is supposed to be the optimum amount of time to create a new habit. Last year I completed a 100 day running streak where I ran at least a mile every day for 100 days. There were times I really wanted to quit, and once I even got in a mile on a hotel treadmill in street shoes and a dress at 11:45 pm! So I have the determination to complete things, I just have to remember why I want it when it's hard.

You started July 1, right? How long will you go since you plan to continue until your son returns to school?

You sound like you are on a good track...what are you planning on eating on your daughters birthday?

Yep, I started on the 1st of July and I'm planning on reintroducing wheat on the 2nd or 3rd of September to check for an allergy (though I'll see what the dr says next week) followed by cheese, cream, sour cream, butter, petis pois, chocolate and maybe rice. Though I know deep down I shouldn't do the chocolate! I think it'll be a whole 63 or 64 or something?

Though I would really like to stay whole30 as much as possible from September onwards and regardless of the wheat test I'm debating not eating it again after that. It has always made me bloated and it has been affecting my eyes for almost a year now in increasing amounts so even if I don't have a full blown reaction I may call time on grains...

what are you planning on eating on your daughters birthday?...

Well, she's picked Panera for lunch and Sweet Tomatoes for dinner. I can eat pretty "healthy" at both places, but not really compliant. Sweet Tomatoes has this massive salad bar, plus breads, soup, pasta, ice cream, etc. It's pretty tame for a buffet. But I decided I would wait till after her birthday to do my Whole30, and her birthday is the last one in our house for the year, so I'm good after that!

I don't have any known food allergies, but I don't miss rice, bread, quinoa, pasta like I thought I would. I ADORE sweet potatoes, and this has given me the opportunity to really enjoy them more. Plus, they are grown right here in NC, so they are cheap and plentiful! Things I missed during my two attempts: dairy! I love yogurt and lattes from Starbucks. I quit gum just before July 1, and the first couple days were challenging, but after quitting Whole30 the second time I tried a piece and don't like it anymore. It makes me swallow so much air, and I can't make myself burp, so I end up with this hard "ball" of air in my chest that's very uncomfortable.

The birthday plans sound marvellous ;)

I haven't had gum in ages either...not even thought about it which is good!

I don't miss grain products really at all (except my mother's bread and butter pudding...and the occasional cherry scone) but I know I can live without them so I'm doing that intro to know, not to reintroduce permanently as such. I do miss dairy (not milk, I've never been able to drink milk, plus I can't stand it! But butter and cream and cheese), peas, chocolate and would like to have the option of rice whilst I'm out to eat and at other people's houses. So that's my plan. If I do wheat on the 2nd and wait a week (that's how long it took to get over the immediate reaction last time) then do the others with 2 days in between I'll be finished on the 18th, incidentally the date we as a family are going to my uncle's 70th weekend so I won't have to worry about reintroducing that weekend. I'm planning on chocolate last as I know it doesn't agree with me but I love it so if it still "only" leads to short term nausea and bloating (yes, I know!!) I'll be ok that weekend...plus I can eat it whilst I'm there.

I know...I really should give up the chocolate permanently shouldn't I?! X

I know...I really should give up the chocolate permanently shouldn't I?! X

No, I think chocolate CAN have a place in one's life, once it's learned to be managed properly. ;-)

Your mention of peas reminded me of the one off-plan food dream I had. It wasn't about candy, chips or ice cream...

Lima beans. That's what I dreamt about. I guess that means I'm truly a southern girl now when you dream about eating a big bowl of perfectly seasoned lima beans. Or rather, butter beans, as we call them in the southeastern U.S. :-)

I'm pretty sure that I am totally incapable of managing chocolate properly. I've given it up for 35 years worth of Lents (with one year off whilst I was pregnant), 4 previous whole30s and various smaller wholeXs and even so I have never managed to have a normal, non obsessive, bingy type relationship with that one food stuff! It always tastes icky and bland after the break but I wean myself back into it pretty fast every time ;(

It's funny what you miss isn't it? I would never have thought I'd single out teeny garden peas over other foods I was convinced I couldn't do without the first time round (diet coke...I'm looking at you...) but I really love them!!

I used to love kidney beans in chili but my mothers chili recipe (whole30d by me) is perfect without term so I won't bother...though I forgot houmous...I may add houmous on to the petit pois day ;)

Still love dairy though...that is never a shocker!

I am a chocoholic. I hide it from my husband. My problems will be not using Splenda in coffee, and nothing for sweet tooth. I'm going to really give it a go. I think writing down reasons is a good idea. I think about them, but having them out where I can be reminded is something I'll try. What do ya'll do for your coffee?

Try sticking them somewhere you can see them regularly if you can aemd...I used to have a list taped to my kitchen cupboards ;)

I'm bit a big coffee drinker...I will drink it if someone offers hot drinks (I trained myself to as I always felt rude just point blank refusing or asking for water). I drink it black without sugar and I just drink it. I have however developed a taste for fruit/mine/camomile teas over the last year...they may be a good substitute?

I went out to eat today at a place I've eaten out at many times. Shortly after the meal was over, I had pain from my sternum all the way down my left side. The same thing happened on Sunday when we ate at a place that I used to eat at every week! I didn't get an upset stomach, but had to stay in the bathroom because the pain was so bad. I've been eating Whole30 compliant lunches and dinners and have changed my diet a lot over this past month despite my quitting the Whole30 twice.

That said, I'm starting TOMORROW! I can already see that things have changed with my gut just eating more "cleanly" this month. Two of my favorite places to eat have left me in so much pain. I'm not waiting anymore. But I am planning to Whole30 through the entire month of August, so I'd like to stay a part of this group.

My kitchen is already ready to go from my last two attempts. Here I go..... Third time's the charm!

I have cut all sweets and most sugars.  I used to have 1-2 shots of bourbon a week and that is gone.  Grains and dairy are gone.  I went through a week of headaches and low energy but I am better now.  I think this awesome kick start will make the 30 days much more doable.

Hello!! I plan to start Whole30 for the first time on the first as well! I'm a little nervous because eating healthy for me has always meant spending more money than I have, or making food. I obviously don't have much of the first one, and suck generally at the second one so it always makes me nervous but I'm really determined this time and am hopefully for wonderful results! I would love to actually know what food makes my stomach get angry at me and see if any of my anxiety/depression/migraines/etc lessen or go away completely after learning to eat healthier!! So heres to an awesome and hopefully rocking success of a whole30 through August!! 

Hello. I plan to start my 1st Whole 30 on August 1st too. I can't believe that it's almost here. I'm very excited (& maybe a little skeptical) to see what changes are in store as I learn to eat healthier. I've already cut out sugar recently (big time sugar addict) and am reading the books. This next week, I plan to get my pantry and fridge ready as well plan out my meals (at least for a few days). Glad to see I have company on this journey.

Archived