Joining Whole 30 August 1

RochelleKK

Hey Guys! My name is Emily and I completed my first whole30 at the end of June (27th to be exact). To sum up my experience with my first whole30 and say it was life changing would be an understatement. So many things in my life just seemed to fall into perfect rhythm. Health wise, I was pain free (back pain etc) pretty soon after beginning the whole30. My sleep and digestive system regulated and my cravings were easily managed and soon were very few and far between, and when they did rear their head I was able to shut them down quickly. People in my life started noticing an overall change in my mood and even mentioned a "glow". There was a substantial amount of weigh-loss, which was nice. However, the nicest thing I gained from it was my newfound knowledge about my body and the food I put into it. With that knowledge I knew that no matter what, the only way to continue was with clean eating. I ended and only "sampled" a few things the month following my first whole30. I tried beans and an alcoholic beverage, both of which seemed to pretty quickly disrupt my digestive system. Needless to say they weren't worth it. Any who, my best friend decided after watching my transformation over the past couple of months that starting August 1st she was going to begin her first whole30. So I decided I would join her and try to make it more interesting by trying to challenge myself to work on having an even more diverse diet then before! So there you have it, my whole30 experience in a nutshell. I can't wait to hear about everyone's journey, it truly is amazing. I will say, if this is your first, prepping is key! Also, a positive mind can go a looooonnngg way! Thinking about the bigger picture, and reminding yourself that it's only 30 days helps a lot! Good luck everyone!!!! Can't wait for August 1st!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I plan to start Aug. 1 also. To prepare, I've been trying to eat up all the grain and dairy in my fridge!  I'm opting to go caffeine free for 30 days also. That'll be as tough as grain- and sugar-free.  Going without coffee, dark chocolate and grain will be tough for me. I already eat lots of fruits and vegetables, and not much processed food. I suspect, though, that gluten or something is causing systemic inflammation. If this diet reduces my joint pain, it will be worth 30 days of food restrictions to find out if I'm something in my normal diet harms my body—even though I can digest it without problem. Good luck to all of us!

I'm ready. I've been "practicing" this week. I'm already sleeping better and look forward to what other positive changes are ahead. I think one of the hardest challenges will be to not get near the scale for 30 days.

Hi everyone, My name is Kelly and I completed a whole 45 in February. My last day was the first day of my vacation, apparently I have been on vacation ever since. I am starting my whole 30 August 1 also. I want so much to feel better and have energy again. I just need to get in control of food period. What I find really helps me is to be a countable to some one that understands the process. My family won't be doing the W30 with me but I also don't have to be a short order cook for them either, which really helps.

I will be joining in for my first Whole30 tomorrow (Aug 1) as well. I joined this forum in hopes that it will help me stay accountable & motivated. My family won't be joining in with me (I currently live with my parents), so I'm hoping that I'll be able to stay focused despite the distractions/temptations that will be around the house. Excited for this journey!

Im excited to start but nervous aswell on dealing with cravings! Have stopped my coffee over the last week as that is my main downfall and cant drink black. Now printing off motivational pics etc and pinteresting meals! LETS DO THIS!

So in the spirit of Melissa and Dallas's point about starting "right now," I decided that I was as prepped as I would ever be. I figure today is like a trial run and I'll see what works for me. Here's my breakfast:

- leftover carne asada from last night, with a scoop each of guac and mango salsa

- sautéed peppers and onions

-not pictured: giant glass of water

image.jpg

My concerns are that 1) I don't typically eat a lot at one sitting (and I'm almost certain not enough to last me 4-5 hours as encouraged), and 2) I'm probably not eating enough protein, which speaks to #1.

I guess I will learn to eat more as I get more hungry? Have any W30 warriors dealt with this?

...My concerns are that 1) I don't typically eat a lot at one sitting (and I'm almost certain not enough to last me 4-5 hours as encouraged), and 2) I'm probably not eating enough protein, which speaks to #1. I guess I will learn to eat more as I get more hungry? Have any W30 warriors dealt with this?

Yeah, I'd say you need about half the protein again, more veg (at least a half again), and probably double the guac to get enough fat in - at least that's what I'd eat anyways.

If you're struggling to eat a full template meal, plate up a meal as large as you can imagine, eat around the plate (so as you're getting a bit of everything rather than all protein) then pack it up and eat the remainder as soon as you are able.... You'll soon find your appetite increasing as the days go on, especially if you haven't been a 'breakfast' sort of person.

Well done on jumping right in - that's the spirit!!

@jmcbn thanks for the help! I will do as you say and pack up the leftovers and have them as soon as I get hungry! I'm sure (especially after reading ISWF) that this will all level out over the next few days, but I certainly don't want to handicap myself by getting into a habit of starving/snacking.

I am ready to give this a try.

My heart Dr. suggested this as a way to help with my weight , heart disease, and health problems. I am so ready to try anything so maybe I can get off

some of the meds I am on. I try to exercise some everyday, yet I need help with what to eat. I can give up the bread,, just not sure about my coffee.

I've eaten steak twice today with various roasted veg and there is a chicken in the oven for dinner.

I'd be very wary about Lara bars aemd...they are for emergencies only and are not a meal. You need the usual protein, veg and fat combo for breakfast

aemd-- if you are in a rush in the morning, make sure you have hard boiled eggs and veggies with a compliant fat ready to go -- you could do veggies with a compliant dip made from homemade mayo and seasonings, OR (this is hubby's favorite!) make up an egg bake and you can grab and go. They are yummy cold and good warmed up too. You could do that and have a portion with additional veg and maybe some olives or avocado on the side. Leftovers are excellent for breakfast too. Also, rather than having breakfast, lunch and dinner, consider them M1, M2, M3 instead. 

Day 1 complete. M1 3 eggs w/mushrooms a piece of ham and 1/2 cup of blueberries.

M2, a brat, banana. M3, 3 chicken thighs and 2 tomatoes w/ salt. A snack was one small Apple. I drink green or black tea and water all the time.

I am happy how today turned out. Dinner, I decided to cook earlier than usual which turned out fine because I was the only one eating dinner.

For me I'll be doing the count up, because I already know I am going beyond 30 days.

Good luck everyone.

Day 1 complete. M1 3 eggs w/mushrooms a piece of ham and 1/2 cup of blueberries.

M2, a brat, banana. M3, 3 chicken thighs and 2 tomatoes w/ salt. A snack was one small Apple. I drink green or black tea and water all the time.

I am happy how today turned out. Dinner, I decided to cook earlier than usual which turned out fine because I was the only one eating dinner.

For me I'll be doing the count up, because I already know I am going beyond 30 days.

Good luck everyone.

Double check the ingredients of your ham and bratwurst to be sure they're compliant. Both are suspect for for things like sugar, sweetener and/or gluten.

Archived