JUMPED off the wagon :-(

Ugh..... I did the whole30 in April-May.  I lost 35 lbs, looked awesome and felt awesome....then Memorial day hit and I thought I can drink, and have some brats etc.......  well here it is July 16th and I look like the Michellen Man.  Seriously I have put 10 lbs of the 35 I lost back on and a TON of inches.

I am so disappointed in myself, and so frustrated.

I want this, I want to feel good, look good and be better!  WHY AM I ADDICTED TO SUGAR????  I think about food all the time again, and sneaking sugary snacks.... just cause I can?  What is that? 

I need mental clarity, and focus to get BACK on the wagon and get this done!!!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Ugh, so I just had my 42nd birthday on Monday.

April and May couldn't have been better,  I thought I was really on the right track, got my whole 30 in, lost a total of 35 lbs in 6 weeks, and a ton of inches.... felt amazing.

Then Memorial Day hit, I had some drinks, some unauthorized foods..... next thing you know its today!  I realized oh that's right I am over 40, addicted to sugar, and have a non existant metabolism..... GRRRR

I remember in my 20s and even my 30s.... I even thought about dieting or eating healthy and I dropped weight.... now.... not so much.  My will power is WAY diminished too....

Help ladies.... I need to get refocused!!!!

It's so hard to watch yourself fall back into old patterns. I only had a month of riding my own bike and felt myself starting to slip majorly. Luckily the "official" July whole 30 was about to start so I jumped back in with both feet.

If you are really ready to take back control, chose a new start date RIGHT NOW. Do not postpone it. If you can't see yourself committing to a Whole 30, do a whole 14, or even a 7 and reassess. You know you can do it. You did it before.

I will say the second round seems physically easier - those habits and less healthy foods don't have their hooks in as deep so withdrawal is lessened. Go back and read your old logs if you kept one - read other's success stories too, anything that motivates you. You can do his. You are worth it.

Ifeel your pain. I am close to the end of my first W30, and quite concerned about losing control when this round is over. As a result, I have set the date for my next W30 for mid August. I have a visit from relatives, a birthday and my anniversary in between. That's daunting, but just knowing I am building in the next one helps settle

Wow!  Awesome job in your first whole 30.

Now other than weight - what are your reasons why you want to do a whole 30?  Make a list.

Our reasons for doing a second whole 30 are usually different than the first one.  And I found personally that the second round is more difficult than the first.  It's like learning how to ski.  The first little while - you are learning - you are uncertain of what lies ahead, and you are scared and excited.  But the second time around is like - this is like old hat - I got this!  You get careless, you have the feeling of - meh I've done this before.... I've soooo got this.  Except carb flu and cravings still hit and then you realize that this is actually tougher than before. 

So refocus your needs this time around.  You goals from your first round will be most likely different than the second.

I definitely need to refocus my needs and goals.  The problem with me is everything is mindset... and I cannot seem to cut the sugar or alcohol this time.... its SUMMER! haha  no excuse but BBQs, deck sitting, friends, birthdays, holiday on and on ......  I am totally being lazy and quite honestly its pissing me off!

I can do this.... I did so great last time.  (See my profile pic) he he  it was awesome!!! 

Ok.... I got to just buckle down.  Leaving for vacation on Wed.... the beach.... So I will try to be ready to start on July 29th.

I am sorry you are struggling. I am going to give you a little speech about our brain. Performing an action creates a path in our brain. Repeating this action deepens this path. Our brain is lazy, it LOVES routine, it loves minimizing the work. Think about it this way - driving in an unknown town without a map vs driving a familiar route, for example to work. You are doing the same thing - driving, in both cases, but first scenario takes effort and focus, whereas second scenario probably means that you can listen to the music and relax. You have driven this road so many times that you can't forget this route if you take a detour one time. Do you see where I am going with my analogy? The more you repeat the right thing for you, the easier it will be to get back to the correct eating habits once it becomes the cozy familiar thing for your brain.

What might work:

- Analyze every choice. Be super anal about it. Start questioning why do you crave it. Are you bored? Tired? Under slept? Emotional? Scared to stand out with your choices? Write it down if you need to then reflect, you might find a pattern in your eating habits.  

- Imagine a scale "what do I want NOW" vs "what do I want MOST". I want a cookie now vs I want to feel awesome. Take one situation at a time, don't think about yesterday and tomorrow. Here and now. Big success is always a sum of little victories. 

- Tip from Melissa (I think I saw it on her instagram) #1. You need to get one clean plate in to get it dirty. Basically, if you want a cookie, you must eat a compliant meal first then have a cookie if you really want it. This will a) fill you up B) distract you c) provide nutrients because lack of them induces cravings. 

- Tip from Melissa. "I can have it tomorrow" trick. Delayed gratification works wonders. You promise yourself that you can have it tomorrow if you really want to. "Making the reward abstract and less immediate helps you make a rational, instead of acting on impulsive urges. Second, it allows you time to engage support, refocus on your long-term goals, and create a plan for dealing with temptation. Finally, it strengthens your conviction by giving you small wins, enabling you to see that you are, in fact, the kind of person who can successfully resist temptation". 

- Have a plan. Always have a plan. BBQ? Bring compliant stuff to fill you up, use the rest allowance for less healthy things. Patio with friends? Mocktails are fabulous. Whole9 blog has awesome recipes. Plan plan plan plan. Little work goes a long way. 

- Manage stress. ACTIVELY. Aknowledge it and deal with it. Hint - breathing, physical activity and meditation.

Good luck, shoot us a message how you are doing.   

I have been in the same boat. I did my first W30 in August of 2013. I felt amazing, looked amazing. Unfortunately, somehow I got off task, gained all the weight back I lost and then some. Within 7 months I had gained 50lbs back. I have done a few since then and still can't seem to kick my old habits. I have been trying not to beat myself up over it. I leave for a cruise on Monday, so my start date is Aug 2. I am planning on doing a Whole100 to really make these great eating habits stick. The thing is, I love the way I feel on W30. I love the energy I have, I love the way I feel, etc. I don't know what I keep going back to my old ways. 

I can only say to keep at it. One day at a time. I think I have read somewhere, that if you feel yourself getting off track, then do a Whole7 or Whole10 to get back into the habits. You can do this!! We can do this!! 

Ugh..... I did the whole30 in April-May.  I lost 35 lbs, looked awesome and felt awesome....then Memorial day hit and I thought I can drink, and have some brats etc.......  well here it is July 16th and I look like the Michellen Man.  Seriously I have put 10 lbs of the 35 I lost back on and a TON of inches.

I am so disappointed in myself, and so frustrated.

I want this, I want to feel good, look good and be better!  WHY AM I ADDICTED TO SUGAR????  I think about food all the time again, and sneaking sugary snacks.... just cause I can?  What is that? 

I need mental clarity, and focus to get BACK on the wagon and get this done!!!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators

- Imagine a scale "what do I want NOW" vs "what do I want MOST". I want a cookie now vs I want to feel awesome. Take one situation at a time, don't think about yesterday and tomorrow. Here and now. Big success is always a sum of little victories. 

i love this! What a great tool!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry you are struggling. I am going to give you a little speech about our brain. Performing an action creates a path in our brain. Repeating this action deepens this path. Our brain is lazy, it LOVES routine, it loves minimizing the work. Think about it this way - driving in an unknown town without a map vs driving a familiar route, for example to work. You are doing the same thing - driving, in both cases, but first scenario takes effort and focus, whereas second scenario probably means that you can listen to the music and relax. You have driven this road so many times that you can't forget this route if you take a detour one time. Do you see where I am going with my analogy? The more you repeat the right thing for you, the easier it will be to get back to the correct eating habits once it becomes the cozy familiar thing for your brain.

What might work:

- Analyze every choice. Be super anal about it. Start questioning why do you crave it. Are you bored? Tired? Under slept? Emotional? Scared to stand out with your choices? Write it down if you need to then reflect, you might find a pattern in your eating habits.  

- Tip from Melissa (I think I saw it on her instagram) #1. You need to get one clean plate in to get it dirty. Basically, if you want a cookie, you must eat a compliant meal first then have a cookie if you really want it. This will a) fill you up B) distract you c) provide nutrients because lack of them induces cravings. 

- Tip from Melissa. "I can have it tomorrow" trick. Delayed gratification works wonders. You promise yourself that you can have it tomorrow if you really want to. "Making the reward abstract and less immediate helps you make a rational, instead of acting on impulsive urges. Second, it allows you time to engage support, refocus on your long-term goals, and create a plan for dealing with temptation. Finally, it strengthens your conviction by giving you small wins, enabling you to see that you are, in fact, the kind of person who can successfully resist temptation". 

- Have a plan. Always have a plan. BBQ? Bring compliant stuff to fill you up, use the rest allowance for less healthy things. Patio with friends? Mocktails are fabulous. Whole9 blog has awesome recipes. Plan plan plan plan. Little work goes a long way. 

- Manage stress. ACTIVELY. Aknowledge it and deal with it. Hint - breathing, physical activity and meditation.

Good luck, shoot us a message how you are doing.   

Nadia....I use your tips.  There are phrases you've said that go through my mind when I'm at the grocery store.   Yep, Nadia.  You've had a very positive impact on my relationship with food.

My favorite Nadia.   "If something is like crack to you, you probably don't need it that much".  

Absolutely.  I don't need it...like at all, ever.  That one comes to mind whenever I'm picking up brightly colored packages, walking up and down the aisles, reading all of the labels.   My husband doesn't like going with me.   Ooooo, don't tell me.  All you want to do is read the labels and I don't have the time for that.  

I could blow a couple hours just reading labels.   I pick up the cream cheese, cheeses...give them a little squeeze.   Nadia says.    Nadia says.   Husband..."who's Nadia?"    A really cool chick on the W30.   :D 

That one comes to mind whenever I'm picking up brightly colored packages, walking up and down the aisles, reading all of the labels.   My husband doesn't like going with me.   Ooooo, don't tell me.  All you want to do is read the labels and I don't have the time for that.  

I could blow a couple hours just reading labels.   I pick up the cream cheese, cheeses...give them a little squeeze.   Nadia says.    Nadia says.   Husband..."who's Nadia?"    A really cool chick on the W30.   :D 

Haha oh look, I am one step closer to the WWTS status. I am glad that my occasional preaching has some impact. I feel like building a relationship around food is a long process where you can't skip steps (hello criticizing or label reading). So be it, read the heck out of these cheese packs, maybe it it one day and remember why you shouldn't. You have the rest of your life to sort out who you are. It's not like I have it figured out completely but I know where I want to be. Not caring/judging what other people eat, being a diet agnostic of a kind, not scrutinizing my choices, feeling lighthearted about imperfect food situations, being patient and focusing on what makes me feel best. This is true freedom to me. This is also hard work, but that's nothing new, it's the answer to literally anything. 

Archived