Sausage and Bacon

I don't really eat much sausage and bacon in my regular, non-paleo diet....but there are so many recipes with sausage in them....am I right that as long as it's raised well and doesn't have additives sausage is fine?  Same with Bacon?

• Administrators

Bacon is a funny one, some people go beserk over it but it's not something you want to eat oodles of.  Check out the Bacon Manifesto.

Compliant sausage is difficult to find in many cases and can have a lot of "other" stuff in it that, while not off limits, isn't the best. Lots of people around these parts will make their own sausage out of ground meat and something like this Italian Sausage Seasoning.  Made into patties and then fried is delicious.  

But to answer your actual question.  If you find sausage or bacon that does not have any off limits ingredients in it, you are free to eat it.  :)

Proscuitto is a pretty good substitute for crumbling on a salad or the like, and it's pretty easy to find compliant. As ladyshanny said sausage is really easy to make and tastes amazing! The only compliant bacon I've found was at Whole Foods... and you pay twice the price for half the bacon.

• Moderators

Janer, I'm with you... I never ever eat it... in fact, if Bacon fell off the planet, I would probably do a happy dance... and then run for my life from the BaconCult...

Lots of recipes with sausage can be done with other protien sources... if it's ground sausage, you can use ground pork or beef... if it's cut up sausage in some sort of 'bake' or casserole, try it with chicken thighs or drumsticks.

• 2 weeks later...

Proscuitto is a pretty good substitute for crumbling on a salad or the like, and it's pretty easy to find compliant. As ladyshanny said sausage is really easy to make and tastes amazing! The only compliant bacon I've found was at Whole Foods... and you pay twice the price for half the bacon.

But proscuitto surely costs more, no? I searched our local Whole Food for compliant bacon and didn't find any. Can you share a brand name?

Archived