Magnesium

BirdyP

I am currently taking a magnesium supplement in the evenings. Suggested by a naturopath. It is by Trace Minerals. I used to use the Natural Calm tea but it was just too inconvenient with my lifestyle. Always on the go!! I was looking at the Pure Encapsulations Magnesium Glycinate suggested in the book. A capsule would make life even easier. Does anyone have experience with this to offer suggestions? Thanks

• Moderators

I shifted from Natural Calm to Douglas Laboratories ® - Magnesium Aspartate. I did this on the recommendation of a functional medicine doctor. It has been working fantastically for me. I don't think Douglas Laboratories matters, but that was the vendor the doctor sold from her in-house pharmacy. I have since bought more from Amazon.com.

My go-to supplement is magnesium citrate. It's still easily absorbed (as opposed to magnesium oxide which your body barely digests), but it's one of the more cost-effective preparation. I also do magnesium spray on occasion and/or epsom salt baths.

Isn't the Whole30 diet supposed to help our GI tract automatically regulate itself? What's the deal with everyone using supplements to go to the bathroom? I too find myself constipated and frustrated, but I was thinking the Whole30 would eventually work things out naturally, without supplements. Confused...

What's the deal with everyone using supplements to go to the bathroom? 

Supplementing with magnesium is not the same as taking a laxative. Most people are deficient in magnesium because the soil is depleted making our vegetables deficient in magnesium. Does magnesium supplementation help with constipation issues? yes, for most people, but that isn't the only reason to take it. Healthy levels of magnesium help with all sorts of things.

My naturopath recommended I use magnesium. BUT, I can say I used to use 1 full cap of Miralax and 3tsp. of Natural Calm EVERY day!! About Day 15 I started weaning myself. Now I just take magnesium drops at night. NO Miralax and NO Calm!! That has been a goal of mine for YEARS and YEARS!! Of course my regular MD found no harm in needing to supplement to go to the bathroom but I do NOT agree!!

• Administrators

My naturopath recommended I use magnesium. BUT, I can say I used to use 1 full cap of Miralax and 3tsp. of Natural Calm EVERY day!! About Day 15 I started weaning myself. Now I just take magnesium drops at night. NO Miralax and NO Calm!! That has been a goal of mine for YEARS and YEARS!! Of course my regular MD found no harm in needing to supplement to go to the bathroom but I do NOT agree!!

I read this as "a full cup of Miralax" the first two times I read it and nearly fell over!  Glad that you are finding your ease with bathrooming!  :)

Archived