Starting July 20 - Who's In?

swithy

Hey everyone....I started my third Whole30 7/20.  Glad to see there is a large group to hang with.  Whole30 chili in the crock pot for tomorrow.   :)

That chili is on my list of recipes to try out, you'll have to let us know if you like it!

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day two and my bad habits are really coming into focus for me. I feel like I'm constantly cooking, prepping to cook, or thinking about what I'm going to cook.  I really like all of the recipes I've tried and the food I'm eating but all the time in the kitchen has me realizing just how complacent I'd gotten about fast food or the ready made section of my grocery store.  If Whole30 does nothing other than getting me back into the swing of making most of my own meals instead of buying them I will be so grateful.  

Today's temptations that I did not give into included a birthday cookie I was offered and a meeting over the dinner hour in which everyone else was munching on popcorn, M&Ms, and cookies. I did run home and eat some pumpkin seeds and cantaloupe though.

Hey everyone!

It's Day 3 for me and I can't figure out if I am exceptionally cranky because I'm doing the Whole30 or because I spent 20 minutes painstakingly blowdrying my hair straight this morning, only to get caught in the rain on my way to the bus stop.

Probably the latter. I still look like a drowned rat, but a few cups of tea and the prospect of lunch has cheered me up a bit.

I've been posting my daily meals in my Whole30 log (linked in my signature) - has anyone else got a log that I should be checking out for ideas?

Thanks for the idea...I had no idea about the logs, but I just started mine.  What a great way to track progress and challenges throughout the 30 days.  I've attached mine in the signature, as well, if you want to follow along.

Today was not too bad, I did have to drink coffee with a shot of espresso with 2 Advils to make it through without a nap though....hmmm maybe not so great. Yesterday I had to go to bed at 2000 because I wanted my daily dose of haggen dazs coffee ice cream. We have a small local convenience store 3 blocks from my house that carries my favorite ice cream... lets just say that I always clear them out and am very well informed of the delivery schedule.. yeah I have a problem. As I read everyones post I find myself skipping through the forbidden foods you all write about because I start drooling.

I am prepping my husband and kids for tomorrow and the following day as they are usually my most crabby days. I made a large pot of albondigas yesterday and had that for lunch today. I have 3 protein options for tomorrow and plan on adding egg to shredded short ribs with sliced avocados to add extra protein. I have a lunch meeting at work tomorrow and they always have yummy cakes, I will have to leave the room before they start serving it. 

On to day 3!! we got this..

Today was not too bad, I did have to drink coffee with a shot of espresso with 2 Advils to make it through without a nap though....hmmm maybe not so great. Yesterday I had to go to bed at 2000 because I wanted my daily dose of haggen dazs coffee ice cream. We have a small local convenience store 3 blocks from my house that carries my favorite ice cream... lets just say that I always clear them out and am very well informed of the delivery schedule.. yeah I have a problem. As I read everyones post I find myself skipping through the forbidden foods you all write about because I start drooling.

I am prepping my husband and kids for tomorrow and the following day as they are usually my most crabby days. I made a large pot of albondigas yesterday and had that for lunch today. I have 3 protein options for tomorrow and plan on adding egg to shredded short ribs with sliced avocados to add extra protein. I have a lunch meeting at work tomorrow and they always have yummy cakes, I will have to leave the room before they start serving it. 

On to day 3!! we got this..

Ha - I love that you have to go to bed early to avoid ice-cream! My major side effect so far is that I'm continually thinking about food - meal planning, googling restaurant menus to see what I can eat, basically being the most boring person alive. I'm loving busy days at work, just so I can be distracted. I took myself off to bed at 9pm with a book last night, as a diversion tactic.

I feel like I'm going to read a lot of books this month. Or get into arts and crafts.

Day 3 -- I'm still feeling extremely tired and I'm very agitated today. Everything and everyone is bothering me! I'm not sure if it's because I didn't have my coffee this morning or what but gosh, I'm on edge. Chugging some black coffee right now! Yesterday, I did turn down a whole appetizer lunch at work for a co-workers bday...I mean, they had cheesecake, chips, brownies, bbq little smokies, spinach and artichoke dip, buffalo dip (my fav!)...you name it, it was there...but, I said NO! Whoop! NSV :)

Feel free to look at my logs - I know there has been some mention of these in previous posts. Mine are listed below in my signature as well! There is a whole forum link where you can start your own log and write down everything you eat....very helpful to stay on track! Just go back into the forum and scroll all the way to the bottom, you should then see the Whole30 Log link.

I have a question that maybe the moderators would want to answer...In regard to working out, the meal template says to have a pre-WO and post-WO mini meal. What qualifies as a legitimate work out for the mini meals? I'm assuming not just a run/walk would qualify or would it? Also, what if I just ate dinner and then go for a work out? I wouldn't need to have anything before as I just ate, right? and then something after would be ok?

Any input would be great! This time around, I really want to focus on building muscle and moving my body along with good food choices!

Hello ... I'm starting today Wednesday, July 22nd to honor the memory of my daughter who called me exactly a year ago today to tell me that her breast cancer had returned.  We only had 11 weeks with her before she died on October 7th.  She was always very conscious about eating well and often lectured me about "taking care of myself" and "eating better" and I can't think of a better way to honor her than to do the Whole 30 program. 

Hi all! I hope you don't mind if I jump in on this thread. I'm starting my Whole30 today (July 22) - here's to slaying that sugar dragon!

Hi Lauren,

I also started today! 

Meal 1 consisted of a sunnyside salad (Nom Nom Paleo - blog) and some watermelon. 

I cannot stop thinking of food...

Hi from France, 

I'm starting today my 1rst Whole30... I eat pretty clean usually, but the last three months have been like hell (work and other activities) and I did not have time to prepare good meals anymore. I put on 4 kilos and started feeling tired and crappy. So I hope the summer will be calm enough to go through this challenge. 

I think the most difficult part for me will be getting rid of bred cheese and wine "apéros".  We 'll see... :)

Meal 1 : bell peppers with lardons garlic and basilic; melon

Only 29 days left !! ;)

Hello everyone.  I started on Monday - so it is day 3 here.  I am soon to be 44 and this is my first Whole30.  My entire family - husband (49), son (19), and two daughters (17 and 15) and I - are all on board and we are doing this together.  So far so good! I did a lot of prep work to make sure this could transition as easily as possible for all of us...cleaned out all the non-compliant food, spent the entire weekend preparing fresh veggies and "quick" protein.  And all that has paid off because everyone loves how easy it is to put together a quick breakfast and lunch with the stuff ready in the fridge.  I make dinner each night so try to double recipes to keep extras in the fridge for breakfast and lunch.  

So far no one has really struggled with anything.  Yesterday a few of us had slight headaches but nothing too bad.  My son was very tired yesterday but he is working 12 hours painting, so it could be the long days or it could be the adjustment.  I had been slowly "weaning" myself from sugar - I was addicted to Swedish Red Fish candy and need to cut that bad habit!  I was worried I would have a terrible  couple of "hangover" days, so I started last week trying to decrease my sugar intake a little each day instead of going cold turkey and that seemed to help.

At any rate, we are all still excited to keep this up for the 30 days and then transition in to a paleo diet/lifestyle.  Heading out to a Farmers Market this afternoon to restock on fresh veggies...feeding a family of 5 Whole30 style requires a TON of veggies!  ;)

I started on July 20, it sure was a lot of work getting ready but planning is the key.  I have done Paleo in the past but I needed something more strict to help me learn what my triggers are.  I suffer from vision headaches, sleeplessness and I find my energy has been not what it should be.  Day 1 was probably the best, Day 2, I was a little cranky but got through it and today I have a headache so I am trying to work through that as I am typing this.  Just had a snack hoping maybe it has to do with my blood sugar because its been almost 5 hours since I had breakfast and I probably did not eat enough, its tough to eat a big breakfast when you get up at 5:30am.  Anyways, thanks for listening. Hope everyone has a very successful Whole30, here's to the July 20 group!

7/22 Day 3 here. First day of temptation. Co-workers had a "no more radiation" lunch for one of the gals who beat breast cancer. Lot's of treats and I stuck to the fresh veggies and brought my own grilled hamburgers. It was hard, but I did it! Especially when that boob cake came out, lol. Day 1 & 2 have been really sleepy and having morning headaches. Day 3 a little better.......Chicken breast on the grill with acorn squash tonight.

Hello ... I'm starting today Wednesday, July 22nd to honor the memory of my daughter who called me exactly a year ago today to tell me that her breast cancer had returned.  We only had 11 weeks with her before she died on October 7th.  She was always very conscious about eating well and often lectured me about "taking care of myself" and "eating better" and I can't think of a better way to honor her than to do the Whole 30 program. 

Wow Oma10x,  what a special way to honor your daughter. <3  I hope you find lots of support here and are having a successful first day!

7/22 Day 3 here. First day of temptation. Co-workers had a "no more radiation" lunch for one of the gals who beat breast cancer. Lot's of treats and I stuck to the fresh veggies and brought my own grilled hamburgers. It was hard, but I did it! Especially when that boob cake came out, lol. Day 1 & 2 have been really sleepy and having morning headaches. Day 3 a little better.......Chicken breast on the grill with acorn squash tonight.

Boob cake, ha ha; I love it!  We celebrated two birthdays in my office today. I was out at a meeting and found a donut on my desk when I returned.  Oops!  I quickly passed it off to someone else.  Go us for resisting temptation!  ;) 

That chili is on my list of recipes to try out, you'll have to let us know if you like it!

I have made the whole30 chili a few times. It is always delish. Don't be afraid to add ingredients as long as they are compliant. Adding hot sauce and hot peppers is a must in my bowl.

• Moderators

I have a question that maybe the moderators would want to answer...In regard to working out, the meal template says to have a pre-WO and post-WO mini meal. What qualifies as a legitimate work out for the mini meals? I'm assuming not just a run/walk would qualify or would it? Also, what if I just ate dinner and then go for a work out? I wouldn't need to have anything before as I just ate, right? and then something after would be ok?

Any input would be great! This time around, I really want to focus on building muscle and moving my body along with good food choices!

Walking wouldn't need either. If your running is not very strenuous and doesn't leave you feeling tired/depleted, you may not need either, but if you start feeling tired over time or feel you're not recovering well, then try adding the post-workout. If you're training for a race or something where you're really pushing yourself, you're more likely to need them, and post-workout seems to be most important to recovery. Pre-workout is more important for people who work out first thing in the morning before breakfast, and people who have gone a couple of hours or more after a meal before they start a workout -- so in your situation with dinner, you wouldn't need a pre-workout.

If you add weight/resistance training, you probably do want to have the post-workout, as its purpose is to help the muscles recover.

This article has a pretty good explanation of the post-wo meals.

On to Day 4!  Today I totally overslept and had the urge to just run out the door and stop somewhere on the way to work to grab food and coffee. Most likely, this would've resulted in a breakfast croissant and a turtle mocha...HOWEVER, not this time. Instead of being impulsive, I stepped back and grabbed what I could find in the house -- threw my raw eggs in a container, spinach and pico, along with an avocado in my bag and went to work. (in the meantime, my hubby made coffee...so I did get that :)). Got to work and actually "cooked" my meal in the microwave and ate it. It felt good not to succumb but now that I'm thinking about it, I don't have lunch...AGH. Guess I'll be hitting the good old salad bar! BAS time :)

Hope everyone is doing well!

Archived