Starting July 20 - Who's In?

swithy

• Moderators

I am also on Day 5 and although, we're not supposed to snack, I find it's the only way to get some fruit in my diet.  I'm more of a savory eater and not much into sweets but I am craving a little bit of sweet since I started Whole 30. I'm usually super busy and don't get to snack much,  but I've been grabbing some snacks during the day or after dinner that include a couple of handfuls of cherries or blueberries or a piece of cantaloupe.  Is this ok?

What mcki0133 said -- fruit is completely optional, you never have to have it. When you do have it, have it alongside a meal.

If you're truly hungry between meals (as in you could eat something bland like plain fish and broccoli), have a mini meal of protein, fat, and vegetables, and try increasing portion sizes at your meals going forward. If you're not actually hungry between meals, but you have a habit of eating, find some new habit instead -- go for a walk, have a cup of tea, read, talk to a friend, just something that will get your mind off food.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any tips on how to keep busy?

The sky is the limit.  Off the top of my head:

- Go out and explore: walk around - hike, go to a local park, beach, lake, garden, museum, funky gift shop, whatever. 

- Canoe, kayak, paddleboard or swim

- Get a manicure, pedicure or massage

- Read a book or magazine

- Do a craft, puzzle, or other creative project

- Garden

- Journal

- Call and/or meet up with friend over coffee or tea to catch up

- Play some music you like and dance around

Just about made it through the work-week! Now the challenge is to get through the weekend... we have lots of going-out plans that can't be avoided, so will have to just be strong. 

Yesterday, I accidentally took a sip of Gatorade that was handed to me without thinking. Looked at the label and the first ingredient was sugar...but nothing else non-compliant other than that nothing in there is actually food. I feel ok about it. I think sugar is the least of the problem-foods eliminated on Whole 30, for me anyway. If it was milk or something, I'd start over. 

But last night I had my first food dream. This plagued me on my previous Whole 30. I feel like I had one every night practically. This time, I thought I was doing better, but here it was. I dreamed that I was at a church where the preacher also made cocktails (I know, weird dream)...like, the most excellent cocktails ever. I absentmindedly took one and started drinking and it was delicious. Some sort of gin and grapefruit juice thing. I realized about halfway through it that I was on the Whole 30 and I was going to have to start over. I woke up feeling so guilty! I hope hope hope this doesn't keep recurring like it did last time. I woke up practically every morning so angry at myself for breaking the Whole 30 and then realizing I didn't do anything wrong. It would be better if I realized that *in* my dream, and just enjoyed whatever I was consuming! 

Wishing you all a great compliant weekend!

Have a good weekend Swithy!  I haven't had any food dreams yet but I've definitely almost eaten something off plan a couple of times without thinking about it. I'm used to being able to just eat/drink whatever, whenever-definitely makes me think about how much mindless eating I do. I hope your weekend goes well.  :)

If I make it through the program, it will be the first food goal I've ever set for myself that I accomplish. That thought is really driving me right now; last night I kept reminding myself that Whole30 isn't asking me to give up bread and cheese forever, just for one month. After that, who knows what I'll feel like, what I'll want, and how I feel as I introduce foods back in, but I want to get to that point so I'm going to try. :)   

YES!!  I totally agree, this is about more than food and healthy eating (though it's a great part!) for me, it's proving something to myself and realizing that I'm in control...that's what is driving me right now.  I don't want to fail myself or give up again...it's been too long since I've had that kind of victory.  Be STRONG & proud of what you're accomplishing, we've nearly finished the first week  :D  And it's only 30 days, right!  

Day 5 and all I can think about is wine. I want a glass of wine! I don't think my cravings are ever going to go away. I haven't been snacking made some delicious meals this week. I just really want a glass of wine. I live near wine country like 15 minutes. And I'm exhausted.

Day 5 and all I can think about is wine. I want a glass of wine! I don't think my cravings are ever going to go away. I haven't been snacking made some delicious meals this week. I just really want a glass of wine. I live near wine country like 15 minutes. And I'm exhausted.

Stay strong!  Cravings haven't been too bad for me until today (Day 6.  I feel exhausted and hadn't had a chance to restock my groceries....so the temptation was very real.  I couldn't muster the energy to make a grocery run (it's a little complicated when it involves 45 min one way commute on public transit).  For the first time, it seemed so feasible that I could just give in to the cravings...I could just order McD's or pizza or something easy for delivery and be lazy all day.  But, I managed to scrounge together a decent lunch and ran by a grocery stall for enough essentials to get through dinner & breakfast tomorrow.  I'm just so tired and trying to scrape by for the day...we can do this, though.  We can master those cravings and habits...hope Day 6 goes well!

For those of you who might be tired at this stage, know that this too, shall pass. Take a look at the Whole30 timeline.

That being said, if you'd like to confirm whether you're on the right track, feel free to post 2-3 days worth of your typical Whole30 food log in the Troubleshooting section.  That way, we can provide feedback on any possible tweaks. 

Oh my gosh, what a morning. We had storms in the area last night that set off the alarm panel in the building where I work (I work a Tues.-Sat. schedule) and all morning has been spent working with facilities trying to turn off the alarms, assuring all of the public that everything in the building is actually fine...pay no attention to that loud buzzing...and figuring out how to reopen a giant security gate that came crashing down and we were short staffed most of the morning.  I know for a fact that if I wasn't doing Whole30 right now I would be stress eating today.  Not gonna let that happen!

Feel like I am going strong!  It has been easier than anticipated really.  (as far as passing on the junk around me... even made it thru McDs fries overtaking my van and an ice cream trip last night!)  Biggest issue continues to be making sure I am not a garbage disposal for my kids, eating their leftovers, BLTs(bites, licks, tastes) while preparing their meals, etc.  It is really a mindless habit so I have to be aware!

How about portable protein?  I was on the go from about 11 yesterday morning to 10 last night.  I had a cooler and had some grilled chicken tenderloin, veggies and fruit and that worked, but I don't know if it will on a daily basis. 

I am nursing so I need to be sure I have access to plenty of food, and protein has always been a struggle for me bc I don't eat beef or pork and I don't really eve like chicken/turkey/fish/seafood but I manage with those.  But a big part of my protein has always been legumes or nuts!  I am finding myself going for nuts more than I should bc I know they are a source of protein and I need more of that...

How about portable protein?  I was on the go from about 11 yesterday morning to 10 last night.  I had a cooler and had some grilled chicken tenderloin, veggies and fruit and that worked, but I don't know if it will on a daily basis. 

I am nursing so I need to be sure I have access to plenty of food, and protein has always been a struggle for me bc I don't eat beef or pork and I don't really eve like chicken/turkey/fish/seafood but I manage with those.  But a big part of my protein has always been legumes or nuts!  I am finding myself going for nuts more than I should bc I know they are a source of protein and I need more of that...

How about hard boiled eggs for another protein?

Note that nuts are a fat source on a Whole30, and are recommended to be limited.

Day 5: Still somewhat tired, but the thought of grilling burgers when I got home got me through my late day snack (sugar) craving. Had some green "squeaky" beans heated in evoo and a little sea salt and then some raspberries. I've noticed I'm not hungry all the time either.

Day 6: Challenging. For the past 4 weekends I've been helping a friend pack up her house for a few hours on Saturdays. The routine had been to pick up "fancy" coffee and treats on the way over. Today, I still picked up coffee and treats , BUT only for my friend! Yay! Thankfully I brought an RX bar along because I didn't get home for lunch :-)

How about hard boiled eggs for another protein?

Note that nuts are a fat source on a Whole30, and are recommended to be limited.

I may be able to handle HB eggs, as I managed to gag down a turkey burger today.  This is challenging when you really don't like meat LOL

And I know about the nus, having always considered them protein in the past, I am finding myself using them more than I should.  None today though!  But too much watermelon and not enough veggies...  I am a work in progress :)

Woo-hoo!!!  One complete week done! :D I've been feeling more energetic and hoping this means we've rounded the corner and are on the cusp of Tiger Blood!

Today was a bit tough, I was out and about in the city all day (11AM-8PM) showing new staff around, and had to MacGyver a couple meals on the fly.  Protein is still the hardest thing to come by in these situations...thankfully, the grocery had a salad bar that included hard boiled eggs.  But, I'm not sure how often I can count on that strategy.  

Tomorrow, I have friends visiting and they want a traditional Chinese/Singaporean meal, so I'm planning to eat beforehand and just enjoy the green tea while we catch up.  Sadly, there's just no way to eat to safely enjoy the Asian food here  :wacko: Praying that I am feeling strong and don't even notice the temptation (it's been the case for the past several days...and I'm going to make sure I have a yummy lunch, so I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

Hope you all are finishing the week strong!

Woo-hoo!!!  One complete week done! :D I've been feeling more energetic and hoping this means we've rounded the corner and are on the cusp of Tiger Blood!

Today was a bit tough, I was out and about in the city all day (11AM-8PM) showing new staff around, and had to MacGyver a couple meals on the fly.  Protein is still the hardest thing to come by in these situations...thankfully, the grocery had a salad bar that included hard boiled eggs.  But, I'm not sure how often I can count on that strategy.  

Tomorrow, I have friends visiting and they want a traditional Chinese/Singaporean meal, so I'm planning to eat beforehand and just enjoy the green tea while we catch up.  Sadly, there's just no way to eat to safely enjoy the Asian food here  :wacko: Praying that I am feeling strong and don't even notice the temptation (it's been the case for the past several days...and I'm going to make sure I have a yummy lunch, so I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

Hope you all are finishing the week strong!

Congrats on the week and for your creative meals on the go.  I'm a little nervous about this next week because I will be tested in the same way.  I've got a couple of long work days coming up that will make compliant meals a challenge. Plan, plan, plan right?  I bet you'll remember the company of your friends much more than missing the meal!  :)

I started on July 20th as well.  This is my first Whole 30.  It hasnt been bad so far... I feel like today may be a kill all the things type of day, I will finish this, it is so doable.  Having my dinner now, beef kabobs with veggies.  Yummy! 

Early this morning I was woken up by a really painful leg cramp. Not sure what that is about?  I'm a little amazed at how much my energy has been varying in the mornings. On day 3, I was completely exhausted when I woke up, yesterday I bounced out of bed, and today back to being exhausted.  TGIF!

I have had multiple leg cramps at night since starting.. I use Magnesium oil on my legs before bed and it did the trick.  

Also went out yesterday with family to a mexican rest.  RESISTED the chips and cheese dip somehow... Asked the waiter if they could cook my fajitas in oil instead of butter, ate my fajitas with salsa/lettuce/a little bit of quac (because I hate it) and it was just as good as the cheesy tortilla version I would have had a week ago.  I was very proud.  Just hoping they actually cooked my stuff correctly.  I figure if that's the worst thing that goes wrong I am doing good.  

Hi all! It's been a few days since I checked in, but I'm still on the wagon! :) I've been figuring out how much I need to eat to stay full. I know snacking is discouraged, but as I am 5 months pregnant I know I need to eat a little in between meals sometimes. I found that celery and carrots dipped in almond butter make a nice snack with a bit of protein. 

My kids and I went camping for a couple of days, which was a little rough but I still managed to hold fast to the Whole30! Even when my best friend made brownies over the fire! Yesterday my whole family went to Cold Stone and had ice cream... and I of course didn't have any! I admit I still feel sorry for myself sometimes, but i also have realized that doing the Whole30 is how I am "treating" myself right now, and the benefits of sticking to it are going to be worth it, I'm sure! I keep telling myself I'm worth it - my health is worth it. My health is my "treat." 

I'm still working on figuring out satiety cues. I ate lunch at lunch time even though I didn't feel hungry, because I had somewhere to be after lunchtime and knew I wouldn't get another chance for a meal. I over-ate at breakfast time, so maybe that's why I didn't feel hungry at lunch. I'm sure in a week or so more I'll have the satiety thing figured out... I hope!

Hi everyone! I started July 20th as well. Guess I'm late to the party. Hooray, one week down!!! I'm still feeling good. I resisted the STRONG urge to go to Del Taco yesterday. Very proud moment for me. I'm definitely eating more fruit than I should be, but I wouldn't survive without it. Stay strong during week 2, everyone.

It is officially one week since my family and I started and I am amazed at how its been going.  I was honestly expecting this to be much harder the first week.  This weekend we all were ready for bed much, much earlier than usual.  Like 9pm!!  Last night we lasted until 10pm so I guess that is improving.

We had some challenges this weekend - one of my daughters had a dance convention that her and I went to that was out of town.  I packed up a cooler with meals for the both of us and we stuck to whole30 the entire weekend.  We "splurged" at the end and went out for dinner to Chipotle on our drive home and it was nice to eat hot food that someone else prepared!  My husband was with my other daughter out of town to a tennis tournament and they did the same thing...brought a cooler full of food and had a treat of going out for dinner to Chipotle on their drive home.    My daughter sat at the dance convention and watched all the girls drinking fancy starbucks drinks with whipped cream, chowing down on pizza, eating candy, and drinking lots of soda and Gatorade.  She never once regretted her decision to start the Whole30 and mentioned several times how she "didn't even want that junk anymore".  It is interesting to see how other teenagers react to my girls making these choices.  My other daughter had to turn down many offers of cookies, granola bars, pizza, etc while at the tennis tournament and explained to her teammates what she was doing.  Many of these other teens were flabergasted that she would even attempt doing such a thing (no sugar?!) and several were interested in the details of what she will gain from it and if her parents were "making her do this" (we aren't).  I am so proud of my girls for making the choices to stick with the program even though they are constantly being tempted to have junk.  It makes it much easier for me to stick to the program, knowing that they are having a lot more temptations than I am!  

We all pitched in yesterday late afternoon to prep the food for this week.  Another thing I love about the Whole30 - it is creating a fun way for my family and I to spend a late Sunday afternoon together.  We cranked the music, cooked bacon, grilled chicken, cleaned and cut veggies, made mayo, created salad dressings, and had a fun time doing it all.  

So as we start week 2 in our house, we are looking forward to some yummy meals planned and are all hoping we aren't so tired this evening!  

One realization I have had this past week- so thankful we have our own chickens!  I would be spending a small fortune in eggs LOL

I was trying to do a good job prepping for the week last night by grilling a ton of chicken tenderloins (my saving grace last week) but my husband and kids decided they were so good they had about half of them for dinner!

Hopefully they last til Thurs, it is going to be way too hot here to fire the grill up again until then!

Archived