Starting July 20 - Who's In?

swithy

Day 8 and everything is going well.  Having fresh (from my garden)  tomatoes, spaghetti squash, bell peppers, jalapenos, and kale have been so nice.  So many options everyday that cost me zero dollars.  

My biggest problem with the whole30 is exercise/running.  Last Saturday was my weekly long run of 11 miles and it was a bit of a struggle.  This is my third whole30 so yes, I have already read the exercise portion of the forum.  I know doing a whole30 while training for a race can be problematic.  I will push through my workouts and cover the distance, but it will not be at my usual pace.  I'm ok with that....

Glad everyone is doing well.....

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am having issues with NOT being hungry (so crazy to even say) and timing.

Again, I am nursing so I know I NEED to eat...

I am sitting down for lunch now.  I cant imagine eating a full meal.  But, I have work appointments that will keep me tied up for about 4 hours so I know I need to suck it up and eat something.

One week done! It's so inspiring to read everyone's posts about a successful weekend. Feels so good to get through that, doesn't it? I tallied up all the times this weekend where I would have had bread, cheese, alcohol, ice cream etc and realized just how much of that stuff I would have consumed on a normal weekend where I wouldn't have even considered it to be a splurge. I'm feeling so proud of myself for saying no to all of that. Plus, I had tons of amazing homemade food including BBQ baby back ribs with compliant homemade BBQ sauce--first time I ever made either and it was crazy good. I was also craving a bloody mary but the mix I like has gluten in it (why???). So I made own and it's so good!

I feel like I'm already seeing results. That took longer the first time I did the Whole 30. But yesterday I wore a favorite pair of jeans that I haven't fit into for almost 4 years! And today I've been told that my skin is glowing.

Energy wise, though, I'm not there yet. I was off work today, and slept till 1pm. Yikes.

One week done! It's so inspiring to read everyone's posts about a successful weekend. Feels so good to get through that, doesn't it? I tallied up all the times this weekend where I would have had bread, cheese, alcohol, ice cream etc and realized just how much of that stuff I would have consumed on a normal weekend where I wouldn't have even considered it to be a splurge. I'm feeling so proud of myself for saying no to all of that. Plus, I had tons of amazing homemade food including BBQ baby back ribs with compliant homemade BBQ sauce--first time I ever made either and it was crazy good. I was also craving a bloody mary but the mix I like has gluten in it (why???). So I made own and it's so good!

I feel like I'm already seeing results. That took longer the first time I did the Whole 30. But yesterday I wore a favorite pair of jeans that I haven't fit into for almost 4 years! And today I've been told that my skin is glowing.

Energy wise, though, I'm not there yet. I was off work today, and slept till 1pm. Yikes.

What BBQ sauce recipe did you use Swithy? That sounds really good!

Macysknits--here's a link to the BBQ sauce recipe I used. I really liked it and it was easy. Plus it made a huge batch I am freezing. I have been slathering it all over everything. The sweetness comes from pineapple (and I only used 1/2 can).

http://civilizedcavemancooking.com/recipes/condiments/beasty-bbq-sauce/?m

There is also a different recipe in the W30 book.

Everyone is doing so great! I find it so interesting how my body is behaving pretty much along the timeline as the book says. I was thinkin', "nah, I'm not feeling bloated".. well yesterday and still this morning my whole body feels puffy! Ha!

Some of the amazing positives after only one week:

-My thumb callous from opening a daily diet coke bottle is fading away

-I swear wrinkles on my forehead are fading away

-I don't want to say my heart rate is fading away, but according to my fitbit HR my daily average resting HR that used to be in the low 70s is now consistently in the mid-60s. Wow.

-And, last but not least, my teeth always feel clean!

Can't wait to see what the next days and weeks bring us! Way to go all!

Hi everyone, I'd like to join this thread since it is very active and you all seem to be doing very well! I started on July 24. This is my second attempt - my first one lasted 15 days and then I gave in to the sugar dragon (and I was just pissed about not having cream in my coffee).

This time, I have learned a lot - before I didn't really get the meal template, so I think that was part of my problem. I got the Whole30 book and am loving the recipes. I am struggling a bit with eating so much for breakfast, and remembering to add fat. I've had some digestive issues, but it seems better today.

I am on Day 5 and so far I've been feeling good - I'm kind of surprised. I gave up coffee and am drinking a cup of green tea instead, and this morning it felt good to wake up and not have coffee be the first thing I thought of. Also, the knee pain that's been bothering me (one of my reasons for doing this) is noticeably better.

It's great to see what others are going through.

Macysknits--here's a link to the BBQ sauce recipe I used. I really liked it and it was easy. Plus it made a huge batch I am freezing. I have been slathering it all over everything. The sweetness comes from pineapple (and I only used 1/2 can).

http://civilizedcavemancooking.com/recipes/condiments/beasty-bbq-sauce/?m

There is also a different recipe in the W30 book.

Thank you!

Hi everyone, I'd like to join this thread since it is very active and you all seem to be doing very well! I started on July 24. This is my second attempt - my first one lasted 15 days and then I gave in to the sugar dragon (and I was just pissed about not having cream in my coffee).

This time, I have learned a lot - before I didn't really get the meal template, so I think that was part of my problem. I got the Whole30 book and am loving the recipes. I am struggling a bit with eating so much for breakfast, and remembering to add fat. I've had some digestive issues, but it seems better today.

I am on Day 5 and so far I've been feeling good - I'm kind of surprised. I gave up coffee and am drinking a cup of green tea instead, and this morning it felt good to wake up and not have coffee be the first thing I thought of. Also, the knee pain that's been bothering me (one of my reasons for doing this) is noticeably better.

Welcome Peacedance! Congrats on beginning again  :)

Morning all,

I joined the Whole 30 July 20th but was a little delayed with signing up on the forum.

So far I'm loving it; however, the last two days I've experienced stomach pains and bloating waking up in the morning? Anyone else? Any way of minimizing this? Or is this just a phase and it too shall pass like the serious fatique 2-3 days ago.

Cheers. :)

Morning all,

I joined the Whole 30 July 20th but was a little delayed with signing up on the forum.

So far I'm loving it; however, the last two days I've experienced stomach pains and bloating waking up in the morning? Anyone else? Any way of minimizing this? Or is this just a phase and it too shall pass like the serious fatique 2-3 days ago.

Cheers. :)

Stomach pains upon waking are not typical.

For us to best help you, can you post the past 2-3 days worth of your food log in the Troubleshooting section? Include portion sizes, daily water consumption and any exercise.  From there, folks here can give you feedback on possible tweaks.

Hi again after an intensive and long week end. 

My 1rst challenge was to say NO to a risotto prepared by my boyfriend. But he understood, felt sorry for one second and ate all the risotto. :D

After, I also said no to a restaurant that I know is not whole30 complient, and to a deliciously smelling brunch. I watched...

So far, I have not experienced any big physical invoncenience, except that I look like a 6 months pregnant woman. :)

I had major psychological changes, on the other way : terrible post-apocalyptico-terrorist nightmares that woke me up nearly every night until last night, and a bit of angriness the last two days. I also noticed a radical change in my attitude at work from yesterday: I'm more efficient now.  ^_^

I see that everybody is doing fine :)

Cheers

I put a cinnamon stick (broke in half) in about 1 cup of coconut milk. Put the stove on low for a out 15-20 then let it steep for about 10 more minutes. It's so good. I put a couple of spoonfuls in my coffee. So yummy. I'm storing it in the fridge.

Starting on Saturday I have been having digestion issues about once a day. Usually right after I eat. For lunch I had walnut crust pork loin butternut squash and pesto. My itchiness is gone so maybe the toxins are coming out through my intestines. Idk. I'm hoping the digestion issues go away soon. I didn't really see anything in the timeline about having these issues. Is this normal?

Starting on Saturday I have been having digestion issues about once a day. Usually right after I eat. For lunch I had walnut crust pork loin butternut squash and pesto. My itchiness is gone so maybe the toxins are coming out through my intestines. Idk. I'm hoping the digestion issues go away soon. I didn't really see anything in the timeline about having these issues. Is this normal?

Digestive issues can occur, and it's usually relative to how different Whole30 eating is from how you ate previously.

For us to best help you, can you post 2-3 days of your typical Whole30 food log in the Troubleshooting section?  Include portion sizes and daily water consumption. From there, folks here can give you feedback on possible tweaks. 

I am struggling to choke down protein.  It is getting harder each meal :(

I don't eat beef or pork.  Have thought about reintroducing, but just cant get there.  It is mostly chicken and turkey.  And turkey has a funny taste to me about 90% of the time outside of deli meat.  Lots of texture aversions.  Ground meat is not my thing, crockpot cooked meat is grainy.  I have managed a pack of those Aidele sausages, but the casing is 100% a no go!  The inside I can do if mixed with the veggies.  Still awfully mushy...  I am such a PITA, I know.  I would normally go days without any meat, so this is a BIG change!

The eggs aren't bothering me, but once a day is plenty LOL. 

Anyway, I would be in heaven if I could find some deli meat that is compliant.  All I have found thus far, even the "natural" varieties are non-compliant.  Close, but non-compliant.  Any brand suggestions to look for?  I am in a pretty rural area- no WF or Trader Joe's.

Also, note to self: don't skip the morning shot of coffee. 

Thought I might be past the caffeine headaches and could wean off of the 1/2c or so of coffee I have been having.

After a day working from home with my four kids plus a neighbor girl, I realized that was a dumb idea.  Really, really dumb.

I am struggling to choke down protein. It is getting harder each meal :(

I don't eat beef or pork. Have thought about reintroducing, but just cant get there. It is mostly chicken and turkey. And turkey has a funny taste to me about 90% of the time outside of deli meat. Lots of texture aversions. Ground meat is not my thing, crockpot cooked meat is grainy. I have managed a pack of those Aidele sausages, but the casing is 100% a no go! The inside I can do if mixed with the veggies. Still awfully mushy... I am such a PITA, I know. I would normally go days without any meat, so this is a BIG change!

The eggs aren't bothering me, but once a day is plenty LOL.

Anyway, I would be in heaven if I could find some deli meat that is compliant. All I have found thus far, even the "natural" varieties are non-compliant. Close, but non-compliant. Any brand suggestions to look for? I am in a pretty rural area- no WF or Trader Joe's.

Do you eat fish or seafood?

Since you'll eat turkey, have you tried Applegate turkey hot dogs?

Compliant turkey or chicken deli meat is hard to find. Many folks opt to roast a whole chicken and then use the meat from that.

Do you eat fish or seafood?

Since you'll eat turkey, have you tried Applegate turkey hot dogs?

Compliant turkey or chicken deli meat is hard to find. Many folks opt to roast a whole chicken and then use the meat from that.

I had shrimp last night and have cod for tomorrow :)

I will have to look for the Applegate brand.  I have not seen that locally, but I am planning to make a trip to a natural grocer maybe next week to help open up some new options as I grow tired of what I have been eating.

I did a whole chicken in the crockpot last week.  It just confirmed my aversion to the crockpot meat LOL.  Need to try it in the roaster though.

Thanks for the suggestions!

• Moderators

I had shrimp last night and have cod for tomorrow :)

I will have to look for the Applegate brand.  I have not seen that locally, but I am planning to make a trip to a natural grocer maybe next week to help open up some new options as I grow tired of what I have been eating.

I did a whole chicken in the crockpot last week.  It just confirmed my aversion to the crockpot meat LOL.  Need to try it in the roaster though.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Have you seen this article? Maybe some of the suggestions will be helpful.

Have you seen this article? Maybe some of the suggestions will be helpful.

Thank you!  I read it and all of the comments last night :)

It is a bit ironic... I have access to excellent quality sourced meat (we have raise our own beef cattle and pigs!) but it has been a good 20 years since I have had either.  Over half my life.

When I read the Aidele chicken apple sausage was encased in pig intestine I thought that was my chance to step out of my comfort zone, only it was a fail!

The thought of reintroducing pork at least has been swirling in my mind for a while now, long before the Whole30.  My family eats it, for the most part, and it would be just lovely to have *one* meal that all six of us would eat with no alteration!

I know I really liked broiled seasoned pork chops as a kid, and they don't totally disgust me to make so *maybe* I will try a bite next time....

• Moderators

I put a cinnamon stick (broke in half) in about 1 cup of coconut milk. Put the stove on low for a out 15-20 then let it steep for about 10 more minutes. It's so good. I put a couple of spoonfuls in my coffee. So yummy. I'm storing it in the fridge.

That sounds delicious! I cheat and put pumpkin pie spice blend (all approved ingredients... nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice) in with my coffee grounds and then a dash of coconut milk in the cup when I pour it. SO GOOD!

Archived