Why is caffeine allowed?

Could someone answer this for me? I drank tons of caffeine before starting Whole30, and the detox I had once I started Whole30 was terrible. I knew black coffee was allowed, but I'm trying my best not to have it. But why is black coffee allowed? Caffeine seems to have a lot of nasty side effects and I don't see a lot of wholesome value to it?

Hmm....interesting discussion

So am I understanding the thought behind it is that it's ok, just in moderation, and to make sure that it doesn't become a crutch? I can understand that for someone who doesn't already have an addiction, but it seems like it'd be harder for someone like me who previously had one?

Kind of like giving a small amount of cocaine to a recovering drug addict and telling him that's all he's ever allowed to have. Lol

If you find it is an addiction for you, best to cut down, consume only in the amounts and times of day recommended in the manifesto, or avoid completely.

This is similar to the fact that fruit and nuts are allowed on a Whole30, but for some, these items become a crutch for mindlessly snacking and/or feeding the sugar dragon. In those cases, folks tend to minimize or drop either from their Whole30.

Part of the Whole30 is examining what food/drink (even those allowed) is serving you or hindering you in your quest for overall health.

• Moderators

We encourage you to eat meat, veggies, and healthy fats. We allow you to consume several things during a Whole30 that you would be much better off not consuming at all. Coffee, nuts, and Larabars are the first three that spring to mind.  Eating them is up to you. These items, as problematic as they can be, do not fall into the category of foods that definitely cause gut irritation, joint inflammation, insulin response, etc. like the foods that are banned during a Whole30. We could tell you exactly what to eat during a Whole30, but that would mean treating you like a child and it would limit your opportunity to learn one of the most important lessons - choosing for yourself what to eat. 

The sooner you can give up coffee....the better off you'll be.  It took me months and months to give up the final one cup per day.   When I did, the tanker I was carrying around my middle started to deflate.  I'd stacked all of my weight around my middle and it would not go away.   Coffee and cortisol were the hitch in my gitch.   My blood sugar is stable and I'm starting to reverse the curse of coffee and what it did to me over the years.  It's nightmare fuel.

The sooner you can give up coffee....the better off you'll be.  It took me months and months to give up the final one cup per day.   When I did, the tanker I was carrying around my middle started to deflate.  I'd stacked all of my weight around my middle and it would not go away.   Coffee and cortisol were the hitch in my gitch.   My blood sugar is stable and I'm starting to reverse the curse of coffee and what it did to me over the years.  It's nightmare fuel.

You know you're wanting to kill me slowly..

no beans,

no peas

AND

no COFFEE?!?  

Dang.. I might as well give up all plants and animals.. and just eat what's left..  

oh oh wait a minute.. there isn't anything left..  

guess I'll keep the plants and animals.

cheesysuggestivesmiley.jpg?w=150&h=150

Archived