A "special" thing to cook that would be Whole 30 compliant

Mow

Hello ladies and gents,

My significant other is in the middle of a whole 30, and she has a birthday coming up in a couple of days. I would like to prepare her something special for her birthday, but I am really at a loss as to what would be something suitable for such an occasion that would also be Whole 30 complaint.

Any ideas for me, fellow travelers?  :ph34r:

Wishing you health and all the best,

Mow

• Moderators

Obviously it's going to depend some on what kinds of things she likes. My favorite would probably be grilled steak with either roasted or baked sweet potato or roasted baby potatoes, maybe a nice salad or some grilled zucchini or yellow squash. Maybe some grilled pineapple.

You could do grilled or baked salmon with asparagus and some other vegetables. If there's some recipe you know she's wanted to try but it's been too expensive/time consuming/ingredients are hard to find, you could make that for her.

If there's some dish that is her absolute favorite, tell us what it is and we can see if there's a way to make it whole30 compliant.

Steak.... or these -- http://www.marksdailyapple.com/lime-and-basil-beef-kebabs/#axzz3gH1t0nJc  sooo yummy! I marinate a whole bunch of different veg in the marinade and grill them up along with the beef.  Hands down a real favorite. I typically double the marinade, do the beef in half, and then do mushrooms, bell peppers, red onions, zucchini or yellow squash, what have you in the second half. Then I do the beef and veg kabobs, and then do the do veggie kabobs out of the rest of the veg, adding large cherry tomatoes to the mix. You could do something like that and then do a cauliflower rice pilaf to serve it over. 

(note--when I found the link, the page is black so the type is hard to read, but if you highlight the page, you can still read it)

It really just depends on what she likes. My husband and I made an anniversary dinner out egg foo yung this year. When we celebrated the fall equinox, I made a pork loin with apricots and cinnamon, butternut crab bisque with crispy prosciutto, cooked greens, and roasted potatoes.

• Moderators

Mow - This is wonderful! This is the type of support we wish everyone who undertakes a W30 would do! Personally, I think that once she knows you came here and asked for suggestions and put some thought and effort into this, whatever you make her will be the perfect thing because truly, it is the thought and effort that counts! You are awesome!! This just seriously warms my heart!!

I made this really delicious dish yesterday, just tried to throw something together with what I had in the cupboard and fridge. I'm only on day 6 so I hope it's compliant! I took half a can of coconut milk and crushed a couple of garlic cloves into it. I added salt and pepper and brought it to a simmer. Then I poached a hake fillet in it. When the hake fillet was cooked I removed it and then reduced the sauce until it got to a creamy consistency. I threw in a handful of cooked prawns and some fresh parsley. I poured this sauce over the hake and ate it with a side of green beans and a spoonful of sweet potato mash. It was Soo good and felt like restaurant food!

Archived