Fat Adapted

I understand that one of the purposes of the whole30 is to make us utilize our fat stores for energy, as opposed to using carbohydrates and sugars. What I am wondering is how eating something off-plan will affect this. Will the off-plan food sabotage the efforts we have made in becoming fat-adapted? I am just trying to figure out how continuing to eat a normal whole30 diet (after the program is over) plus occasional splurge items (when deemed worth it) will affect us.

Those are the things I look for in myself. The type of hunger that I experience also varies. In sugar mode, I need food NOW. My head hurts, I'm tired, I feel shaky, and I'm ready to murder someone. When I'm fat adapted, I may still experience intense hunger, but I'm still functional and I know I'll be okay until I can get some food in me.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/21617-reaching-fat-adapted-status-when-not-fully-compliant/

praxisproject

Whole9 Moderator Since December 27, 2014

• photo-thumb-11357.png?_r=0
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 2127 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:34 AM

I wake up very fast when fat adapted, no foggy head for 2 hours like I used to have.
Where I notice it most though, is exercising. I used to "hit the wall" and feel like I was going to collapse, don't get that anymore.
I'm more energised at the end of the day too, need to get careful not to get too stuck into an activity when I should be getting ready for bed  :D

Keep in mind if you have a sugar load at some point, it can kick you out (or just slow you down a little) of your fat adaptation. However you should get back into it quicker than the first time (less stored stuff to get rid of). If your metabolism has been abused though, this can take awhile.

I also find my fat adaptation is impacted when I'm sick, I get a foggy head, crave fruit and my blood levels change, even when my diet hasn't.

Some people do better on a much higher fat percentage, but try the full Whole30 before you do any tweaking  :) 

Melbourne, Australia - Gluten Intolerant & MTHFR-gene

Physibeth

Whole9 Moderator Since Jan 3, 2014

• photo-thumb-19395.jpg?_r=1425049183
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 4654 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:26 AM

It really isn't that you become "unadapted". But yes if you give your body a lot of sugar when it isn't burning that as its primary fuel anymore you might feel off or weird. I crash pretty hard now when I overdo sugar. 

You do want to keep your glycogen stores topped off regardless of your fat adaption status. Once you are in fat burning mode my understanding is that your body won't reach for those until you are in the higher range of your intensity. 

Tom Denham

Whole9 Moderator/First Whole30 May 2010

• photo-thumb-6.jpg?_r=1403697759
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 6356 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia, USA

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:28 PM

I do not know the formula that would answer your question, but I do have some thoughts that I think are relevant...

Success after a Whole30 involves eating better than you did before permanently. To me, eating better means I almost always eat meat, fish, veggies, and fruit and almost never eat dairy, grains, alcohol, or added sugars. When you eat like this, your body burns fat naturally because fast-burning carbs like bread or pizza and fast-burning sugar/alcohol like wine are too rare for your body to adjust. 

I am afraid you are asking, how much junk food can I eat in a day or a week before it impairs my body's ability to burn fat. Once I know what that amount is, I will make sure I eat just a little bit less so my body continues to burn fat. I get the logic, but I am afraid that knowing how many slices of bread you can eat in a day or week and "get away with it," is not a new, healthy relationship with food. It would be the same torture as being on a diet all the time, counting calories, and figuring out how many points you've already consumed.

Archived