non-dairy creamer for coffee?

brent83

I have the absolute hardest time giving up coffee, but only drink about a cup a day. Just need a little. What is your guys' favorite whole30 approved creamer for coffee? I've heard of coconut milk (can't stand the tast in coffee) almond milk and butter (butter isn't allowed on whole30 so I'm assuming ghee would work just as well?)

If you guys have a recipe (proportions and everything) please let me know. I normally add one sugar cube or less and a splash of heavy cream to my daily cup of coffee. Obviously not allowed on whole30, but don't want to drink it straight black... Would just like a little sweetness and creaminess to my coffee. Nothing overpowering!

thanks guys!

See my post from today on "Black Coffee". I thought giving up cream and a sweetener in my coffee would be the end of me. It took a few days but I am now enjoying coffee without any additions!!! It does take a bit of time but well worth it. I did not do any experimentation... I just stuck with it and my taste buds came around!

Cheers

DJ

I find cold-brewed coffee much more pleasant to drink black--it's less bitter than regular coffee. You can make a batch and just keep it in the fridge for at least a couple weeks (I never make a batch that's that big, though), so it's pretty convenient. Just add hot water, or add water (because it's concentrated) and heat in microwave.

I don't really like plain coconut milk in my coffee, but for some reason this creamer tastes better to me (even though it's made with coconut milk and coconut oil, go figure).

http://followingmynose.com/2010/10/a-primal-non-dairy-coffee-creamer/

My friend recommended "Bulletproof Coffee" after I asked the same question. It is SO GOOD.

Directions: Brew coffee, throw in a spoonful of ghee, a spoonful of coconut oil, whip with an immersion blender for 1-2 minutes.

I don't know how, but it comes out frothy and delicious. Might be a little more work than your typical morning brew, but sooooo worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a bad reaction (nausea) to coconut milk in my coffee so I tried almond milk and it was much better. However I just saw this post, looked at the label and, sure enough, it contains carrageenan. :( Should I dump it? What is a good brand? I only use a very small amount in my coffee, one cup a day. Thanks!

almonds, water and sea salt are ok ingredients.

carregeenan, evaporated cane syrup, rice starch, soy lecithin are not...I've never seen a commercial brand without one or more of these. :(

i found a can of coconut milk with 60% coconut extract, and water. what do you think that means, pure coconut extracted from a coconut OR coconut extract (flavouring)?

When I started Whole 30 I said that the most difficult thing would be to give up almond milk. . Believe me I have spent much time in WF looking for almond milk that makes the grade. No such thing. Now I am at Day 13 and continue to put canned coconut milk in my morning Joe and I am fine with it. My advice: just stick with what you choose-- coconut milk from the can ( there are also no boxed coconut milks that I have found without carageenan), ghee, coconut oil or black. Your taste buds will adjust. just sayin....,!

When I started Whole 30 I said that the most difficult thing would be to give up almond milk. . Believe me I have spent much time in WF looking for almond milk that makes the grade. No such thing. Now I am at Day 13 and continue to put canned coconut milk in my morning Joe and I am fine with it. My advice: just stick with what you choose-- coconut milk from the can ( there are also no boxed coconut milks that I have found without carageenan), ghee, coconut oil or black. Your taste buds will adjust. just sayin....,!

I found two boxes coconut nut milks without anything added, only organic coconuts. The one brand is "let's do...organic" :)

• 1 month later...

I find that a spoonful or two of light canned coconut milk (I keep it in the fridge after I open it), plus several shakes of ground cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice does the trick and it does not taste coconutty.

I love almond milk but only learned about the carageenan thing like 5 minutes AFTER I bought Almond Breeze at the grocery store...doh. I don't know what to do with it now. Such a waste. Oh well, at least I'm set in my coconut milk ways!

http://www.enjoybettercoffee.com/Kimbo-Extreme-Blend-p/kim1020.htm

I'm a professional chef with really good credentials/ experience .... After eating paleo/ whole30 for a while, I was amazed at how much my taste buds woke up!!!! And how much more I could taste and experience and I have made a living for the last 30 years with my taste buds...

Try getting really good coffee.... This one is my absolute favorite and it is wonderful black..... Smooth smooth smooth, dark but not burnt,nutty,vanilla,creamy.... This is coming from a former double cream,double sugar addict.... Try some different styles types, you'll be amazed at the layers and nuances....

• 1 month later...

Archived