Sweet potatoes/yam

Jwillow

• Moderators

I cut them into bite size pieces, toss with oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and chili powder and roast them at about 425 degrees, stirring a couple of times to help prevent burning. You can do the same thing with them sliced in any shape you want, that's just what's easiest for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I do exactly what Shannon does, but with the following spice blend:

• 4 tbsp smoked paprika
  • 2 tbsp sea salt
  • 2 tbsp chili powder
  • 2 tbsp ground cumin
  • 1 tbsp ground black pepper
  • 1 tbsp dried oregano
  • 1 tbsp ground white pepper
  • 2 tsp cayenne pepper

I make a full batch of the spices and keep it in my spice rack and use a couple of tablespoons for 2 or 3 sweet potatoes.  I usually make a big batch on Sunday and either have them with eggs or in a salad (DELICIOUS) throughout the week.

I make a batch every week by first chopping about 5 sweet potatoes and tossing them with olive oil, cinnamon and cayenne pepper. I then spread them evenly on a cookie sheet or two depending on volume and bake stirring them to keep them from burning. When I take them out to stir them I will usually sprinkle a little more cinnamon on them after I spread them out again. I always get comments on how good they smell or that it smells like Thanksgiving in my house while they are baking. Enjoy

I just put mine dry (but washed) and whole into a 400 degree oven (poke holes in them with a fork first), and bake for 45-60 minutes. When they come out of the oven, I cover them with a towel and let them cool. The towel steams them a bit to make the skin come off easily. Then I take them out of the skin and slice them into big circles. I keep them in the fridge for post-WO or to add to meals. They are a fridge staple for me (with baked chicken breast and hard boiled eggs), and they taste good cold as is or warmed up with salt, pepper, ghee, even cinnamon (sometimes). I love sweet potatoes! Must be because I'm from NC where A LOT of sweet potatoes are grown.

I just bought some patti-pan squash from the farmer's market on the weekend and sampled it raw.  It tasted quite good, just added a little spice & balsamic or light olive oil.

Ooo, I found patty pan squash at our local roadside vegetable stand a few years ago, and I really liked it. They haven't had it since. :-(

During warm weather, I steam-bake several potatoes in my pressure cooker as part of my weekly cook-up. (One batch of russets and one batch of sweet) They are cooked through, but still firm, so they are ready to eat quickly: as hash browns, baked, cubed, sliced, etc. I pack them in my lunch box and eat them cold.

I know that this is probably super weird but I roasted a full sweet potato yesterday (I'm going to use the inside mashed tater for a recipe) and was left with the skin, halved and staring at me looking pretty darn close to a restaurant potato skin appetizer. I actually really like potato skin (when out for dinner with family I'm the only one that eats the skin from a baked potato) so at first I decided to just sprinkle a little sea salt and planned to eat the skins with my dinner. But then brilliance struck ( :P) I sprinkled a little bit of cinnamon over the sea salt and voila, they were amazing. They were savoury but salty at the same time.

I'm thinking that I might like to try my sweet tater chips (sliced on a mandolin and tossed in olive or cocounut oil with garlic, salt, parsley etc and baked) with coconut oil, sea salt and cinnamon instead and see how that goes. I know that to some it may be SWYPO but I'm doing this full time (wholeErin since January 1) so I'm not worried about resetting any sugar dragon or anything.

I chop my potatoes/sweet potatoes into cubes and mucrowave them, lid off for about 8 minutes. They steam and the outside becomes kind of dried and crispy.(if you leave the lid and used pricked whole potatoes you can just steam them, but I like the extra texture.) After theyre done I add a spoonful of butter. Yum.

It will never beat roast potatoes, but I find it much quicker and faster when I need food *now*. I keep a few emergency spuds in my desk at work.(and emergengcy eggs. You can steam eggs in the microwave too. Just take the shells off first >○<.

• Administrators

I chop my potatoes/sweet potatoes into cubes and mucrowave them, lid off for about 8 minutes. They steam and the outside becomes kind of dried and crispy.(if you leave the lid and used pricked whole potatoes you can just steam them, but I like the extra texture.) After theyre done I add a spoonful of butter. Yum.

It will never beat roast potatoes, but I find it much quicker and rasier when I need food *now*. I keep a few emergency spuds in my desk at work.(and emergengcy eggs. You can steam eggs in the microwave too. Just take the shells off first >○<.

By "spoonful of butter" you mean clarified butter, right?  Butter as it is bought from the store is a no-go on Whole30.  :)

Archived