Oral sugery and recovery on Whole30 - ideas?

Hi everyone! I am pretty new to the Whole30, 5 days in to my first one and going strong and feeling great! Unfortunately, the end of my 30 days almost perfectly coincides with having my wisdom teeth removed -- I had originally planned to start the Whole30 after when it would be "more convenient" and then said to hell with it and started immediately, because, why wait? I would like to maintain my Whole30 eating with a few adjustments here and there, and experiment with foods I would like to add to my diet, after the 30 days is up. However, b/c of the oral surgery, I will be on a liquid only diet for at least a day, followed by a soft foods diet for about a week. I would LOVE to stay true to the Whole30, but I am having a hard time thinking of ways to get in my protein, fat, and veggies... I've had oral surgery before, and my usual standards are: ice cream, jello, moarrr ice cream. I suppose I could treat myself to a little coconut milk ice cream, but all that sugar!

Has anyone dealt with this before, and what would you recommend? I'm thinking lots of scrambled eggs and beef broth, but this is also the first time I will be seeing my family since the holidays, and I feel a bit guilty asking my mom to mash me sweet potatoes and make me eggs, and hunt down Whole30 approved broths while I'm recovering. So any easy soft food recommendations? Also, since I'll be recovering from surgery, should I wait until I feel completely better before I start playing the "will grains make me sick and crazy" game?

Thank you so much for your input! :)

I had surgery a few weeks ago (not oral surgery though - I had my wisdom teeth out a few years ago and I definitely ate such junk for the few days after!); my parents visited but I stocked up on food I thought I would want a few days beforehand. (And then I wanted any kind of food that I didn't have at my apartment.) You could do that with the broth, and maybe some baby food to get veggies? I'm thinking avacado for fat..maybe some homemade guac? Or, mash up some sweet potatoes beforehand - they should last for 2 days or so, I think? (I have no idea how well they freeze.) I can't think of another way to get protein though -ahhh, sorry this wasn't more helpful! I'm sure others will have more helpful suggestions!

Side note - I didn't think recovery from wisdom tooth removal was too bad, and I think some people are back to mostly normal (minus swelling) the next day. Good luck!

I had my wisdom teeth yanked this past January. It was tough because you can't be too picky if you want to stay eating clean. Stick to avocado, coconut milk, quality oils, and bone marrow for fat; roasted eggplant, mashed cauliflower/rutabaga/squash for carbs; lots of liver/prawn pate and nut butters for protein. And also drink your veggie and fruits via smoothies to get in lots of vitamins and minerals.

Get well soon!

how do you feel about baby food? I have found the organic, pouch baby foods have no added ingredients and are actually pretty tasty. I started trying them out so I could use them in place of gu/blocks/jelly beans when I start training for a marathon next month. Have to say, I've been pleasantly surprised. They usually have the texture of applesauce. I'm not ashamed to admit the pear/spinach pouch plus a couple of hardboiled eggs has been packed for on the go breakfast more than once at my house :)

Thanks for all the great ideas you guys! I'm totally embarassed to admit that I've actually eaten baby food by choice before for no other reason that I just felt like eating some already pulverized peaches, but I never thought about eating it for actual food -- makes sense though! The only problem now will be resisting the ice cream my mother is sure to buy in an attempt to help me feel better and get me off this "crazy diet"!

• 1 month later...

I think all the good ones have been listed:

Broth, guac (mild!), baby foods, sweet potatoes, chilis (again, relatively mild), soups.

If you're feeling undernourished, you could do spoonfuls of coconut oil, but i don't think it's necessary.

I never got my wisdom teeth out, so I'm not speaking from experience...but you're only off solid food for a couple of days, right? you aren't going to launch yourself into a major protein/nutritional deficiency in two days. Do your best, swallow what you can, and reintroduce soft solids when you can (soft boiled eggs would be good here, etc)

Archived