Day 19: Lost pounds, but gained back…why?

I know we're not supposed to weigh ourselves, but I couldn't help it. At about 2 weeks I noticed that I lost X pounds, and was ecstatic! Weighed myself again at day 19 and noticed that I gained X pounds back. I do Crossfit 3 days a week, which I also started at the beginning of July. Is this ok? What did I do wrong? Can you eat too much fruit on whole30? I was afraid of the calories in nuts, so I avoided nuts in the first 2 weeks of whole30, but then gave in to nuts in the third week, as I wanted to eat something with more substance. Was it the almonds that made me gain weight? Or too much natural sugar in the fruit? I snack on fruit more than i do veggies. I eat more fruit than I eat nuts as well. I am 5'3" 125.4 pounds currently. Was hoping to get down to 119 by the end of July. I might be crazy, maybe I should just be happy with the weight I am at. I was told you gain weight when you gain muscle, and since I just started Crossfit this month, I attributed the weight gain to working out. Also, I've had mashed white potatoes about 3 times since starting whole30. I was told this is allowed on whole30 now. Is that correct? Or should I cut out white potatoes? Thank you for all your help Whole30 friends! I look forward to hearing from you.

Hi Sweettooth, I think you probably gained muscle. I know for me when I power lift my weight fluctuates like crazy. That's why we aren't supposed to weigh ourselves lol you should slide that scale away and focus on all the non scale victories! Wahoo for CrossFit it's so much fun you'll love it. 

Firstly this is not a diet, and therefore weight loss should not be your focus. Secondly there is a reason we ask that you do not weigh yourself & that is because if weight loss does happen it won't necessarily be linear and many experience loss followed by gain, followed by more loss. Thirdly this is a Whole30 not a Whole19 and because the weight loss is not linear you need to give it the full 30 days - more sometimes if you're coming from a background of restricted eating and/or health issues...

You mentioned that you snack more on fruit than on veggies - you should be aware that snacking at all is discouraged, but especially snacking on fruit. Snacking on fruit, nuts and/or nut butters will play havoc with blood sugars and any potential results.

If you'd like to post a few days worth of your food/liquid intake along with activity levels we'd be happy to take a look and see if you can make any tweaks.

In the meantime please step away from the scale & focus on the non scale victories - are you sleeping better, has your overall mood improved, is your skin clearer, are you more energised etc, etc...

You will note that I have edited both the title & content of your post. Weighing is against the rules, and by posting the results of your weigh in you are not only undermining your own Whole30, but that of others who may be encouraged to follow suit & check their own weight, be discouraged by your result, or disappointed at their own.

• Moderators

It is against the rules to weigh yourself, just as it is against the rules to eat a cupcake. Besides the fact that you may or may not lose weight, you are shortchanging yourself and your results. Your need to weigh is one more indicator that your relationship with food is in dire need of fixing. You're judging your self-worth in part based on gravity and a number on a scale. The diet industry encourages this crap in part because it leads people to sabotage their weight. If it were as simple as calories in calories out, there wouldn't be a diet industry.

Throw that thing out the window! You can do this!

Another thing to consider:  The timeline tells us that many people experience bloating and water weight gain at a certain point in the thirty days.  After feeling their clothes get looser, they suddenly get too tight.  This passes.  It's just a stage.

Archived