Starting August 3rd

amyhighonlife

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm also starting August 3rd! I meant to do some prep today - but got home a lot later than I had planned to. That's okay - I can get plenty done tomorrow night instead.

I have done this before and am really going to depend heavily on "hot plates" from Well Fed, as well as considerable meal prep on the weekends. Having to cook meals when I am not in the mood is what always stumps me.

Good luck all!

Hello Everyone!!

Started today, August 3rd. First timer

My name is Michelle, and although I am originally from the SF Bay Area in California, I currently live in Singapore.

Went shopping this weekend and one of the few things I couldn't find was cheese cloth. The butter splattered everywhere when I clarified it, this morning and I used a clean cotton dish towel to strain, when a paper towel didn't work LOL. Made a huge mess of my kitchen, but did eventually have a good breakfast. However my black coffee with a bit of coconut milk was kinda awful.

I'm feeling so many mixed emotions, but still very committed.

Hope all the tips and encouragement we give each other gets us through successfully!!

I'm starting (have started) today... I have autoimmune thyroiditis and I think wheat is a problem for me. I run about 30 miles a week and my biggest challenge I think is going to be fueling that activity sufficiently to stop cravings getting the better of me, I have a history of low level eating disorders, recently this has manifested as a day or two a month of massive processed carb based binges, although i the past it was more purging type behaviour (which thankfully I don't do any more). I think I need to learn how to incorporate more healthy carbs & fats into my diet to prevent this...

Life's A Trip...

Just hoping I can do it. I typically eat pretty well but this is extreme and no one in my life eats this way. I'm going to give it my best and just do it but "no grains" is definitely going to be a total lifestyle change for me...particularly when I have guests over. I know it can be done and I love a challenge so I'm going for it.

On a different subject...my basic mayonnaise is a TOTAL failure. I doubled the recipe...should have tried it first. I used a Vita-Mix, which I think may have slightly heated the recipe. It looks like a bowl full of oil with "stuff" in the bottom of the bowl. I'll try again tonight. My egg and lemon are on the counter getting warm. I'll use a regular blender and definitely add the oil slower than I did yesterday. Any suggestions on how long to blend at each stage? Am I looking for something in particular? Juice of 1/2 a lemon is subject to the size of the lemon...any suggestions?

Thanks for the chat. Have a great day, eat well, feel good!

VAS

Vas, 

What doubts are you having?, maybe all of us can help you through them.

Still learning how to work this site. I responded below before realizing I could respond directly under your question (I think!). Going to post this and see what happens.

Beginning Day 1...30 To Go! This IS doable!

good luck everyone! I'm starting on the 8th as i/m away with work this week and as its my first time around I want some good home cooking to start off  :)

Will be watching how you guys get on as I will only be a short way behind you. 

Have a great first day!

Me too, me too! Starting tomorrow. I've done a few before but since then have totally crashed out my adrenals and am slave to a vicious sugar demon.

I try to be gluten-free, grain-free and dairy-free these days but I give it all up in a flash for something sweet. I don't even like sweet things but I eat them anyway. Aargh I hate it.

Hoping thitry days will set me straight.

Now I'm off to bed (in aus so my timing is a little off) for a solid 8 hours and early yoga practice tomorrow.

Good luck everyone!

Starting today and I must admit that I'm a bit anxious.  I woke up and my brain said "I would love a bagel and cream cheese right now.  Oh and how about that delicious latte we usually have?"  Hopefully I can quiet that beast after a few tasty meals on plan.

Let's do this!

Did my shopping yesterday and food prep to plan for a long day at work. 

This is day 2 for me but day 1 on a workday...put Pot Roast with tons of veggies in the crockpot at 8am can't wait to come home to it at 8pm lol!

Had my coffee black this morning...it's not that bad! I've been doing it for a few weeks already and like the bold flavor. 

prepped Salad with protein, avocado, carrots, cherry tomatoes and handful of blueberries+strawberries for lunch. 

As I'm reading other posts, seems like key to success is planning ahead with meal prep, not wondering what to grab while out on the go. I'm armed with almonds for when my coworkers inevitably bring sweets to share at work. Stuck cucumber slices in my waterbottle for some fresh flavor.  

Hi Everyone!!  Day 1 of my 2nd W30 off to a good start! I have been out of town for 3 weeks and then out with friends since then so this is the first time I have used my stove since 7/8 LOL

I am always interested in new recipes and meal plans/ideas....we have a FB group for anyone who is on there if you'd like to join!  Lots of yummy ideas, workout ideas, etc...

Good luck to everyone!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/681298825347792/

Life's A Trip...

Just hoping I can do it. I typically eat pretty well but this is extreme and no one in my life eats this way. I'm going to give it my best and just do it but "no grains" is definitely going to be a total lifestyle change for me...particularly when I have guests over. I know it can be done and I love a challenge so I'm going for it.

On a different subject...my basic mayonnaise is a TOTAL failure. I doubled the recipe...should have tried it first. I used a Vita-Mix, which I think may have slightly heated the recipe. It looks like a bowl full of oil with "stuff" in the bottom of the bowl. I'll try again tonight. My egg and lemon are on the counter getting warm. I'll use a regular blender and definitely add the oil slower than I did yesterday. Any suggestions on how long to blend at each stage? Am I looking for something in particular? Juice of 1/2 a lemon is subject to the size of the lemon...any suggestions?

Thanks for the chat. Have a great day, eat well, feel good!

VAS

I made mine yesterday with a hand immersion blender and it worked great (except at the very begining when there wasn't much to blend and it was hard to keep it from splattering everywhere!). I was so excited to see it emulsify since I have read of so many people having trouble making their own mayo. Hand immersion blenders are cheap and seem to work very well for this.

Hello everyone!  I am starting my 3rd Whole30 today.  However, it has been more than 2 years since my last one.  I am 41, 200 pounds overweight and need to make some big changes, desperately.  I want to enjoy life again!  There is so much I miss out on at this size.

Even though clean eating can be a challenge, I can say as a very unhealthy eater, that it is possible for even the most unhealthy eaters like myself to successfully complete a Whole30 and to come out feeling great.  My #1 suggestion to everyone starting is to make sure you always have something on hand that can be ready to eat quickly.  That moment when you have been so busy that you have let yourself get to the point of being very hungry and you have nothing quick that can be heated and eaten soon is the very moment you will talk yourself into eating something that isn't Whole30 approved.  I hate prepping, but I know that it is the key to my own success.  Just thought I would throw that out there. 

I'm looking forward to having some support over the next 30 days!  Good luck to all of you!

Well here we go! I'm excited and nervous about this journey. I did an elimination diet many moons ago in 1997 and felt the best I had ever felt in my life! I want that feeling back. I have well over 100lbs to loose, but I'm trying not to think about that. What I want is energy. I have been sitting back and watching life go by for far too long now.  My life has been one of constant  food/weight struggles, trying every diet plan under the stars only to gain more and more weight! I have spent the better part of a year eating mostly wheat free, dabbling with Paleo recipes and beginning to feel better. (As soon as I let wheat into my life however, I go out of control for a few weeks!) So here is to committing to W30 and discovering who I really am!

LOL the bacon I planned for this morning had sugar in it and the tea had some stevia hiding in there too. So I switched things up and made other choices.  

Hello Everyone!!

Started today, August 3rd. First timer

My name is Michelle, and although I am originally from the SF Bay Area in California, I currently live in Singapore.

Went shopping this weekend and one of the few things I couldn't find was cheese cloth. The butter splattered everywhere when I clarified it, this morning and I used a clean cotton dish towel to strain, when a paper towel didn't work LOL. Made a huge mess of my kitchen, but did eventually have a good breakfast. However my black coffee with a bit of coconut milk was kinda awful.

I'm feeling so many mixed emotions, but still very committed.

Hope all the tips and encouragement we give each other gets us through successfully!!

-------- coffee with coconut milk gets better, trust me! (Signed, a former half and half addict)

I'm starting (have started) today... I have autoimmune thyroiditis and I think wheat is a problem for me. I run about 30 miles a week and my biggest challenge I think is going to be fueling that activity sufficiently to stop cravings getting the better of me, I have a history of low level eating disorders, recently this has manifested as a day or two a month of massive processed carb based binges, although i the past it was more purging type behaviour (which thankfully I don't do any more). I think I need to learn how to incorporate more healthy carbs & fats into my diet to prevent this...

Hi ST-C,

Be sure to read the guidelines for Pre- and Post-Workout meals and include them on your run days. The main problem us runners face is not eating enough which leads to cravings and snacky-hunger later in the day that can derail you.  Those pre- and post-WO meals are BONUS meals in addition to your 3 template meals and they don't need to be large, but they really do make all the difference.  Protein & fat before workout (a hb egg, or some chicken or other leftover meat with some mayo or olives).  Protein and carby veggies post workout - chicken breast/fish + sweet potato. Just a couple of bites of each but increase the amounts if you're doing an intense or long run.  Don't reach for fruit as your carb, stick to veg.  Also try to get that in directly after your workout. You can then eat whatever your next meal is in 20-30 minutes or whenever it's meal time.  I literally wake up, have a hb egg, go for my run, eat my post-workout meal, then shower and change and eat Meal 1.

Also, just in general, be sure to have a fist size serving of carbs daily (sweet potato, winter squash, rutabaga, carrots, potatoes).

Good luck! You'll do great!

Started today as well! Doing awesome so far...ha! The most exciting thing so far is having such an awesomely clean fridge, freezer and pantry! I feel really good...very well prepared to clean up my mind and body! Wooohooo!

Hello, everyone! Another newbie here.  My name is Leslie, I'm 44, and I'm starting my first Whole30 today. :)

Nearly 4 years ago I went on Weight Watchers and lost 35 lbs in 10 months. As of right now, I've gained every pound of that back. I cut out dairy & soy 2 years ago as I noticed an inflammatory response from them. Since then my arthritis is much better, but the weight gain is really depressing. I'm uncomfortable, and I really don't want to buy new bigger clothes. I'm hoping this W30 will give me the reset my body needs to get back down to a healthy weight and lifestyle. It's a pleasure to join you all.

So far, so good. I had paleo sausage and eggs for breakfast, tuna salad for lunch, a few macadamia nuts for a snack and for dinner I will be having blackened drum fish with green beans, peppers, and onions. Currently I am also attempting to make homeade coconut yogurt. 

VAS, 

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. For the mayo use a stick blender with the following recipe. Warm a glass and egg with warm water prior to doing this (a couple of minutes)

Mayo:

1 egg yolk

1 tablespoon of lemon juice (vinegar if you don't have lemon)

1 tablespoon warm water

1 teaspoon of dijon mustard

1 cup of light tasting olive oil or avocado oil

Put all ingredients into the glass and place the stick blender all the way to the bottom. Turn it on and be very gentle tipping it back and forth until thick and creamy. Add salt and pepper and any other herbs you want.

Hope this helps

Currently I am also attempting to make homeade coconut yogurt. 

If you're planning to make the yogurt to use in a sauce for a meal, that's fine. Alteratively, if you were planning to create more of a desserty treat, that would be against the Whole30 rules.

If you're planning to make the yogurt to use in a sauce for a meal, that's fine. Alteratively, if you were planning to create more of a desserty treat, that would be against the Whole30 rules.

Also if you were planning to make a "breakfasty" treat, this is a no-go. The whole30 recommendation is to include protein, fat and veggies at every meal, no exceptions.

Archived