Starting August 3rd

amyhighonlife

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day one - feel like I ate some great stuff today and my plates have been beautiful to look at. So many colors! Definitely felt some brain fog and 3pm lull which is when I usually grab a coffee and some thing sugary.

Hooray for everyone on getting through day 1 <3 

I went shopping and had to take a pic after- the produce and colors were so beautiful! No boxes in my cart! Simply food that has always been food!

Ate my colorful lunch outside, not in front of screen.

Felt brain fog too! Like a little blurry sugar withdrawal. Drank a lot of water today. Had beautiful slow cooker pot roast. Resisted urge to have sweet blueberries for "dessert"!!! Pattern changing!!! More H20!

Day 1 went really well - delicious veggie omlette for breakfast, extremely delicious chicken/egg salad with olive oil and balsamic for lunch.... oh so delicious pork chop, sauted leeks, sweet potato, cauliflower, gren beans and brocolli for tea... nom nom... yesterday was all about recovering from Total Warrior (10k mud/obstacle race), which we took part in on Saturday so today will be my first run of the week; 8 miles planned, we'll see how that goes... I'm going to have to get some kind of extra meal/snack in late afternoon i think to cover myself to run, FYI - if anyone is interested - I'm not over weight so not massively interested in losing anything during my whole 30, it's all about getting rid of unwanted digestive issues, sugar/carb cravings, eliminating sugar substitutes (which i truly believe are terrible for us) and being in control of my eating,  so that i can consitently select the right fuels to be able to perform at my various activities :) yesterday we booked a three session climbing course at our local climbing wall, I'm hoping to get super-strong so that I can do even better at Total Warrior next year!

How is everyone else getting on? :)

I'm going to have to get some kind of extra meal/snack in late afternoon i think to cover myself to run,

Have you checked out the meal template? We have recommendations for pre- and post-workout nutrition for optimal results...basically protein and fat pre workout (no carbs), protein and starchy carbs post (no fat). It may take a little time to adapt to running on this fuel, but long term it can be amazing for endurance, etc.

Here is the template: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Day 1 went well, and even though I made my mayo with EVOO instead of Light OO, I powered through and made another batch.

Randomly, why is it that nobody wants to go out to lunch with me until I start Whole30 and then I have friends I haven't talked to in ages asking me if I want to go and grab a bite to eat? There's nothing near my office that's in any way compliant, sadly. I have turned down a few invitations so far, or asked if they want to go to a coffeeshop instead. 

First day went great. Made the Whole30 mayo in my food processor, and it came out great. Left the eggs and lemon on the counter all day to ensure they were room temperature and used the drip top component to add the oil, instead of adding it by hand. I think the Whole30 book recommends using a squeeze bottle if you don't have a food processor. 

Tried the Kitchen Sink Egg recipe this morning, which were pretty good. I am rarely hungry in the morning, so eating breakfast at all is a bit of a challenge. 

Hi everyone! I am starting today, hoping I can join you all for motivation since i'm only one day behind! This will be my second attempt at a W30, I completed my first (almost, I only made it to 28 days) last august. I felt amazing after those 28 days but have slipped WAYYYYY back into some old, bad, SUGAR driven habits. I am so not in control of my food choices at the moment so I am looking to fix that. I am just generally bloated, moody, sad, tired and hungry ALL the time! I recently have made some career changes and also really committed to working out & my yoga practice the past few weeks, so I am feeling like now is the perfect time to forge ahead and change the way I am eating!!

My boyfriend is supporting me, and has committed to eating W30 at home and to bring leftovers for lunch. He travels for work, and often has to eat out, which was something he is still reserved about... he doesn't want to be "that guy" so he will likely eat some sauce that isn't compliant, but is going to order steak instead of pasta and knows the basics of how to avoid really bad stuff. Overall i'm just happy and proud he agreed to not drink beer for a whole month :) 

Well I'm off to go to the grocery store for some last minute items and begin my food prep! 

Hope everyone has a great day, I already had food dreams, and woke up scared that I would have to push off starting till tomorrow because I thought I ate pizza for breakfast! 

Hello! I also started yesterday (August 3).  So many folks to join in with!

Someone mentioned "friending" someone.... do you mean here or on facebook? Is there a way to "friend" on this forum too?

I also have a couple of auto-immune diseases, so I am doing the AIP (AutoImmune Protocol) version of the Whole30.  So no eggs, nightshades, nuts or seeds - cuts out a lot more on the list.  Anyone else also following this protocol as well?

This second day is.... well it ain't great....

//Olly

First time - started yesterday. Overall doing pretty well - biggest snafu for me yesterday was checking the pasta for kid and husband for doneness. Whoops. I am going to take that tiny bite as a lesson about the ways that the little habits that can sneak up on you. Vigilance! This morning, definitely feel the headache and the fogginess, and wow, when I am hungry, I am hungry.

I also have a couple of auto-immune diseases, so I am doing the AIP (AutoImmune Protocol) version of the Whole30.  So no eggs, nightshades, nuts or seeds - cuts out a lot more on the list.  Anyone else also following this protocol as well?

Note that we generally recommend for your first Whole30 to complete the standard version first.  Get that under your belt first, so to speak, and then, if you feel there is more work to do, take on removing the eggs, nightshades, etc.

Be sure you're building meals to meet the recommended meal template of 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and a compliant fat. 

Thanks - I'm working on that. In part, I think that it's actually revealing inconsistent eating patterns in the past. Eating a good breakfast wakes the body up somehow - so when it's time to eat lunch, I can tell! The hardest thing to adjust to is probably getting the right amount of fat, honestly. Good thing I love avocados!

• Moderators

I am rarely hungry in the morning, so eating breakfast at all is a bit of a challenge. 

This will change in the next few days if you keep eating to the template and within an hour of waking.  It's an adjustment for your hormones but you'll soon find yourself a breakfast eater and wonder how you ever went without.  I promise!

Hi guys,

I started yesterday too and so far so good. Waiting for it to get bad!  :unsure:

I'm 29, from Dublin, Ireland, but based in UK.

I am very obese - weigh 118.6kg on 1.52m (261lbs and 5'0")

I have always been overweight, the unfitness and the consequences of carrying all this weight is affecting my health in a big way and I'm pretty desperate for a solution. 

I'm getting married in January, and am hoping to be on the road to health, and a bit closer to being able to have a healthy pregnancy by then.

Would be great if someone wanted to buddy up with me for support.

Love,

Laura

• Moderators

We are all here for you Laura!  You have many many buddies here supporting you and wishing you the best in health! Post here often and if you have questions, definitely reach out.  You may find it helpful to start a food log here so that if you have any questions or would like us to review your intake, you don't have to try and remember back to what you ate three days ago.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding! 

Looks like I'm starting today the 4th or tomorrow the 5th.  I asked to resubscribe to my emails and I got day zero today instead of on the 10th when I wanted it.  But maybe I'll get my Day 1 on the 11th when I requested.

Doesn't matter.

It was more of a psychological thing than a planning thing.

Day 2 and things are going really well. I'm feeling good and tackled a project I've been putting off for a long time. Made the whole30 basic mayo, (haven't done that in a while) and plan on making a sweet potato salad with eggs and onions tonight, raw veggies and chicken breast.  Also for anyone from Canada, I found Maple Leaf reduced salt bacon without sugar -only smoke! Keep going everyone!

Hi everyone! I am starting today, hoping I can join you all for motivation since i'm only one day behind! This will be my second attempt at a W30, I completed my first (almost, I only made it to 28 days) last august. I felt amazing after those 28 days but have slipped WAYYYYY back into some old, bad, SUGAR driven habits. I am so not in control of my food choices at the moment so I am looking to fix that. I am just generally bloated, moody, sad, tired and hungry ALL the time! I recently have made some career changes and also really committed to working out & my yoga practice the past few weeks, so I am feeling like now is the perfect time to forge ahead and change the way I am eating!!

My boyfriend is supporting me, and has committed to eating W30 at home and to bring leftovers for lunch. He travels for work, and often has to eat out, which was something he is still reserved about... he doesn't want to be "that guy" so he will likely eat some sauce that isn't compliant, but is going to order steak instead of pasta and knows the basics of how to avoid really bad stuff. Overall i'm just happy and proud he agreed to not drink beer for a whole month :) 

Well I'm off to go to the grocery store for some last minute items and begin my food prep! 

Hope everyone has a great day, I already had food dreams, and woke up scared that I would have to push off starting till tomorrow because I thought I ate pizza for breakfast!

I started today too! Well, restarted. :-)

I started on Sunday, August 2 for the first time.  It's now day 3 and going well.  I feel pretty good.  Hope to feel the same or better on day 13.  Looking forward to making some of the basic sauces, mayo, etc.  Good luck everyone.

Ready, set, go! This is my first Whole30. I had a baby who is now 18 months old and I want to get back on track with healthy eating. I slowly started eating more sugar and processed foods over the last year and my husband has gotten really out of control with it as well (ex. Costco muffins every week). I am starting with getting myself healthier and hoping he will want to as well if he sees me losing weight and having more energy! I have to admit though, I am not used to eating so much meat. I have done a raw vegetarian diet in the past but wasn't able to sustain it long term. I am glad there is so much support for this diet and I look foward to hearing everyone else's progress and experiences! 

• Moderators

Hi RowanEvangeline;

The wonderful thing about Whole30 is that it is completely sustainable.  You are getting the best nutrition you can in the most bioavailable forms that exist, so it's definitely something that you'll be able to keep up!

As far as not being used to eating so much meat and coming from a more vegetarian place, this article might be helpful for you.

http://whole9life.com/2013/02/eating-meat-a-primer-for-the-meat-challenged-2/

Archived