Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

amyhighonlife

Starting August 3rd

@SugarDemonBaby - here for you! 

i did a lot of pre-planning for the first time ever. I roasted a ton of veggies, and did a steam-saute of several others, so that I always have a variety of vegetables to throw in the pan for meals. It was really handy for breakfast - I threw some in the pan with coconut oil, then scrambled some eggs in there. Really quick, really good.

Dinner was a stir-fry, also really good. And again - the prep really helped alot.

Day 2 was OK I enjoyed my food but no run for me... I was utterly exhausted by the time work ended, possibly more to do with the weekend's exertion than anything else... in bed by 19:30 for ten hours and feeling much more lively today. I had an interesting time making two types of stir-fry yesterday, one for me (no soy, no sugar) and one for my husband (lots of both) - it turned out OK, even though  Iwasn't able to taste his for seasoning, I used ginger, garlic, five-spice and a dash of balsamic vinegar in mine... with a juicy bit of fillet steak on top (yum!).

Must run later! :D

Welllllllll 

I am going to re-start today, found a "forgotten" growler of beer in the back of the fridge which we decided to drink so as not to waste it. It was expensive and when you fill them up are only good for about 3 days. Anywhoo.... all my meals were compliant yesterday, and I am feeling good today. Up at 5:30am for a bootcamp workout at the gym. Food prep and shopping is all done and the fridge is officially cleaned out!! 

I do have a question about pre/post workout meals: I basically get home from the gym at 6:45 and immediately cook breakfast, so do I have to add another meal in there? Also does anyone have any good ideas about pre-workout meals? I get up at 4:45 and leave the house at 5 for the gym, the thought of eating anything especially a hard boiled egg at that point in the morning disgusts me. 

I am going to have to be super careful at work tonight because there will be lots of temptation everywhere. I'm a bartender so there is always lots of candy and bar snacks to tempt me. Its just so easy to grab a handful and keep on truckin' because sometimes its VERY hard to find 5 mins to actually eat anything. Does anyone have any ideas on how to handle this? I suppose I can wait until the end of the shift, but that will be late... is it bad to eat after 11pm? 

Hope everyone has a great day!!! 

Not new to paleo but new to whole30.  I have enjoyed way too many summer cocktails and I'm ready to get recharged.  Today is day 2.  I'd like to lose 15 pounds overall (not just this month), but know this is a great catalyst for reaching my goal.  I wish there was more of a buddy system.  Most friends don't want to be so strict so it's tough to stay on track after the first week.  I love to cook, but I'm a full-time working mom of two elementary age girls, so time is limited.  I know I can do it...just would love to have a solid group to experience the highs/lows with.  I'll try and come back here often to check in.  Good luck everyone - woohoo!  

Note that we generally recommend for your first Whole30 to complete the standard version first.  Get that under your belt first, so to speak, and then, if you feel there is more work to do, take on removing the eggs, nightshades, etc.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the tip. Why is this the recommendation? Is it that it's harder with more pulled out of the diet? I had been eating almost fully paleo for a couple months, with a bit of dairy here and there - so the full whole30 seemed pretty close to what I was already eating. I have some symptoms that I am trying to figure out how to manage and so thought removing some of the AIP triggers (and eventually easing them back in) might be very helpful.

I am open to your thoughts on this.

//Olly

I felt achy, tired and in a fog yesterday but today less so. I'm glad the books, timeline and those of you with experience prepared me for this! I have to say - only three days in and already I've learned a ton about myself and my relationship with food. Pretty grateful to be on this path. 

Day three was good, no cravings or problems and I ran 6.5 miles without trouble. Salmon twice in the same day though..... But I do like salmon does anyone know if it's possible to eat too many eggs? I'm having four on some days.

I also started on Aug 3rd. My name is Sandra, I'm 37 years old, I've done one years ago but I didn't make it the whole 30 days as we then started redoing our whole downstairs and I basically had no kitchen. I've been doing mostly paleo for awile, but know I need to do this for a complete reset. My 14-year-old daughter is also doing it with me. My husband and son are not, but my husband is supportive although he isn't about to give up his dairy. We know already know that gluten affects my daughter and her arthritis, and my eczema. So far we are doing pretty good. Was able to do a lot of pre-planning and make ahead stuff the last few days. This week at work might be a struggle, I work 7 on 7 off graveyard shift, so this week will be an experiment to make sure I get all 3 of my meals in. Normally when I'm working I usually only eat 2 meals, but I am going to try my hardest.

I felt achy, tired and in a fog yesterday but today less so. I'm glad the books, timeline and those of you with experience prepared me for this! I have to say - only three days in and already I've learned a ton about myself and my relationship with food. Pretty grateful to be on this path. 

I have been SO tired and feel like i've been hit by a bus. got 9 hours of sleep last night and skipped yoga this morning to get extra rest. Glad I'm not alone here!! 

This week at work might be a struggle, I work 7 on 7 off graveyard shift, so this week will be an experiment to make sure I get all 3 of my meals in. Normally when I'm working I usually only eat 2 meals, but I am going to try my hardest.

This is a big problem for me too. I bartend so usually don't get a chance to even think about eating until 11:30pm or later. By then I usually either eat the least healthy thing that is close by to shove in my mouth (because i'm so hungry) or try to be "good" and don't eat at all. For my shift last night i brought some tuna salad and a bunch of veggies cut up small and some olives. So it was easy to "snack" on this when I had a quick second to sneak away. I know we aren't supposed to snack, but really it was eating meal 3 in small bites over the course of an hour. Is this bad do you think? I was still hungry by the time I got home and could sit down, but I think I was just craving so I drank 2 big glasses of water and went to bed. Let me know how you end up combating this, I would love some ideas! 

Also I ALREADY need to prep more protein, I feel like I JUST GOT DONE! But I know it will get easier once I get into a groove. 

Hope everyone has a great day!! 

Well yesterday and today I am feeling a bit tired and unwell. I have cold like symptoms; cough, runny nose and eyes, sneezing and a sore throat. The thing is I don't think it is a cold. It was actually intermittent yesterday and (sorry to get personal here..) all mucus is clear. I normally have seasonal and environmental allergies but this seems heightened. Could this be part of the detox?  

I also caved to an empty/hungry feeling a couple of hours after my diner - which really I shouldn't have been, (two med. balsamic burgers atop grilled eggplant and a side of homemade guacamole and raw carrots) and opted for a few slices of bacon. But truth be told I also had a few, very few berries after the meal. I'm thinking I should be really careful with fruits as I have a long way to come down off the sugar mountain I've been living on!

I hope everyone has a good day!

I can certainly relate to people's feeling of tiredness and foggy brains.  Me too today especially.  

I have found this nice to check in once a day on.  Nice to see what is going on for other folks and to share what's going on for myself.

Wishing us all good luck for the evening and tomorrow!  

Lalam

Well yesterday and today I am feeling a bit tired and unwell. I have cold like symptoms; cough, runny nose and eyes, sneezing and a sore throat. The thing is I don't think it is a cold. It was actually intermittent yesterday and (sorry to get personal here..) all mucus is clear. I normally have seasonal and environmental allergies but this seems heightened. Could this be part of the detox?  

I also caved to an empty/hungry feeling a couple of hours after my diner - which really I shouldn't have been, (two med. balsamic burgers atop grilled eggplant and a side of homemade guacamole and raw carrots) and opted for a few slices of bacon. But truth be told I also had a few, very few berries after the meal. I'm thinking I should be really careful with fruits as I have a long way to come down off the sugar mountain I've been living on!

I hope everyone has a good day!

Most likely this is detox from my experience as well as reading many others logs. It will get easier. 

I was really energetic this am, but after lunchtime I got really tired and remained that way. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. 

Some things I am really enjoying so far:

How pretty my food looks - all of the vibrant colors. Now I understand why everyone is snapping pics of their plates!

I don't feel like I am restricting myself from good tastes. There is plenty of YUM.   

This has forced me and my Finace to cook together again after falling into a long rut of going out all the time.

Good stuff!  

:D   :D   :D

Yes, lots of home cooking galore!  I am eating more vegetables than ever before.  I am so thankful for this.

Pretty tired today still - and very grumpy.  So hoping this will passs within a reasonable time period!

//Olly

Glad everyone is hanging in there! I am feeling good today, still tired, but less like death, so thats good  :D

Packing all the food we both need for work everyday is challenging, boyfriends been complaining of hunger, and I don't think he is eating enough fat and/or veggies with each meal. He doesn't like olives and only eats avocado on salad, any suggestions for an easy portable fat? 

Heres to another day in the books! 

I have been SO tired and feel like i've been hit by a bus. got 9 hours of sleep last night and skipped yoga this morning to get extra rest. Glad I'm not alone here!! 

This is a big problem for me too. I bartend so usually don't get a chance to even think about eating until 11:30pm or later. By then I usually either eat the least healthy thing that is close by to shove in my mouth (because i'm so hungry) or try to be "good" and don't eat at all. For my shift last night i brought some tuna salad and a bunch of veggies cut up small and some olives. So it was easy to "snack" on this when I had a quick second to sneak away. I know we aren't supposed to snack, but really it was eating meal 3 in small bites over the course of an hour. Is this bad do you think? I was still hungry by the time I got home and could sit down, but I think I was just craving so I drank 2 big glasses of water and went to bed. Let me know how you end up combating this, I would love some ideas! 

Also I ALREADY need to prep more protein, I feel like I JUST GOT DONE! But I know it will get easier once I get into a groove. 

Hope everyone has a great day!! 

I get you on the soo tired bit. I would love to sleep more than my 5 or 6 hours I get, but for some reason my body wakes me up and won't let me go back to sleep. I usually catch up on my sleep on my off week, which I still have 5 more days of working before that happens.

I know snacking is not an ideal way of eating, as I think one of the things the Whole 30 wants you to do is sit down and be mindful of your eating. Is there any way you could take 20 minutes and go sit down to eat?

I haven't been doing too bad with getting my meals in. I work in a hospital lab, so I have a fairly set eating schedule at work. What I've been doing is: eat my meal around 12:30 or 1 am ish, usually just leftovers from the previous day or so. I get off at 7am, so I have been packing extra food with me, the past two days, I've packed 2 hardboiled eggs, a baggie of carrot sticks, and some coconut chips or nuts. I end up eating those on the way home in the car (I know not ideal, but I know I need to eat as by then it's been at least 5 hours since I last eat and I am usually hungry). I am usually in bed by about 8am. Right now I can sleep in a bit as school hasn't started up yet, so I get up around between 2-3pm or so. (Unfortunately once school starts I will be having to be awake no later than 1:30pm to get my daughter from school). I eat a meal shortly after waking (although it usually is a bit smaller than normal, lately it's a sweet potato, egg, hamburger/sausage mix that I cooked in my crockpot a few days ago). Then around 6 or 7 we eat dinner. Then back to work at 8:30 pm.

Day 6. This AM: pumpkin porridge with coconut milk. One thing that continues to amaze is that so far I haven't felt deprived! Instead I'm eating yummy combos I wouldn't have imagined before. Also, my cravings for sugar are far less than I thought they would be. I don't really miss dairy or grains which is wild b/c so much of my previous diet was made up of these. I know it is only the first week but still - I am so impressed with this process Just goes to show you never really know about something until you actually try.  :D 

I am still reading the books as I start along this process and trying to learn as much of the sciency stuff as possible. It has been years of disconnect with my body so I am really tying to find my way home. I am having some bowl trouble these last few days and don't know if it will all level out in the next few weeks or if I will need to go the next step and eliminate the nightshades and eggs? That seems frightening! I am traveling for the next week and need to do a great deal of planning. All my friends and family are supportive so far, but this will be a big test! I'll also try to keep in touch with this forum -it feels like we are in this together. 

Hey!! It's only day 5 for me today, I ended up starting a day later than planned because of traveling. I still feel a little tired and foggy. But I've done this before so I know it gets better. :) happy whole30ing

I am still reading the books as I start along this process and trying to learn as much of the sciency stuff as possible. It has been years of disconnect with my body so I am really tying to find my way home. I am having some bowl trouble these last few days and don't know if it will all level out in the next few weeks or if I will need to go the next step and eliminate the nightshades and eggs? That seems frightening! I am traveling for the next week and need to do a great deal of planning. All my friends and family are supportive so far, but this will be a big test! I'll also try to keep in touch with this forum -it feels like we are in this together. 

I have read that bowel trouble is not unusual at first because the body is adjusting and bad backteria are being starved out and so need to also be gotten rid of.  I have been doing the Whole30 nightshade and eggs free - though I know it is not recommended by the Whole30 folks to do that on the first Whole30.  I simply have potentially so many food autoimmune issues, I am using this time as a big reset.  So far I am not missing those items - except it is the right time of year for amazing tomatoes!

I am having much more energy today on day 6 than on the previous few days.  I was out with friends at social event and bar - first time for passing up on social snacks and drinks.  I ate before I went, let people know I had some big food restrictions so I wouldn't be enjoying the snacks (though they looked good) and immediately got myself seltzer waters.... seemed to work okay. Hope the energy keeps in the upward direction!