Upsetting slip on day 28

I made it all the way to day 28 with not even a tiny slip despite being around an Italian family very often who encouraged me to eat off plan and college friends who encouraged me to drink.

However, today was day 28 and I was told there would be grilled chicken I could eat at a family party I went to. Turns out, I went and there wasn't a single Whole30-compliant food there. I ate my Larabar that I brought as an emergency snack but by two hours in I was starving. Plus it was 90 degrees out and humid, we were all outside, and other people who were choosing not to eat for dietary reasons were starting to get legitimately sick. So I made a decision to eat the lemon chicken, which had flour on it.

I've been really bummed out about it since eating it. I feel fine, as in no negative effects from the flour, but I feel like I failed after working so hard, but I didn't want to not eat while in that heat. I am proud though that I resisted any other foods including all the desserts. Just had floured lemon chicken and some carrots.

Anyway, I really can't start over since I have vacation coming up and I'm already on day 28. Some advice would just be greatly appreciated to overcome this guilt! Thanks. :)

Hey there,

As far as the emotional affects of eating off-plan go, I think you just have to give yourself a break. Although it was a conscious decision, you legitimately felt you had no other option in the moment. Eating off-plan on Day 28 does not mean you need to feel bad, it just means that you need to do another Whole30 (at some point in your life) and remember this experience so you can have a totally awesome 30 days of clean eating (rather than a totally awesome 28, which is still totally awesome). Next time you do a W30, you will be aware of all the potential challenges and better prepared to tackle them. As far as reintroductions go, you might want to get some specific advice about how to proceed (I don't know) because eating gluten-containing-flour could change the order of reintros for you. 

Just try to remember what your overall goals were when you began the program, surely you had more to gain than merely exercising self-control for 30 days. I wonder if you are able to feel some of the positive results of doing the program (even though you fluffed up a bit). 

Cheers,

Amalia

Thanks! And I definitely feel the positive effects, mostly the daily energy boost, weight loss, and the whole feeling of being in control of your food. I still have digestive issues unfortunately, but I was on medication before the Whole30 that I stopped so I may just need to start taking it again. And yes I definitely plan to do another Whole30, probably next summer. 

you got to day 28 and that is still something to be proud of!!! There is still a lot you can take away from this, so keep your chin up and keep making as many whole30 choices as you can until you are able to fully commit to the full duration as you will be even better equipped to face it.

Just don't over stress about it - stress hormones will wreak as much havoc, if not more, than lemon chicken ☺

Archived