July 21st Start

lunabear54

I'm doing OK. Haven't fallen off the wagon, did an even better job of preparation and still got some dancing in (dancing is like meditation for me). Vivid dreams happened this weekend. But today I feel a little swollen compared to the last few mornings.

I considered adding another exercise goal during the my whole30 but have decided not to. Because when I up the exercise, I tend to get more lax in the the food department (think lazy) and I want to get this right first.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Lizzie I didn't make it. had run out of coconut milk - will try today. I just used olive oil and balsamic for dipping over the weekend. 

I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with the term 'bonking', but I felt exactly like I was bonking all day yesterday. I mean bonking in the exercise context..or hitting the wall. (I'm sure there are other connotations with bonking, but believe me, that was not my experience!) I had so little energy. I had to psych myself up to get form the car into the house, to walk from the back room to the living room. I could barely make it through the day. That was described in the book as typical for day 6/7. But today I feel good. Not tiger blood, but pretty normal. 

@dizzylizzard-made the Sunshine sauce and the whole family thought it was peanut sauce! And it is crazy delicious. I will be making that in double batches for sure. Didn't have light olive oil, only Extra Virgin, so still looking forward to the mayo.

Faced a challenge yesterday...I was tired, a bit short with my boys and then up and down in mood. I knew they said tired for day 6/7, but I was like, "what is wrong with me?" Then, it dawned on me...THIS was the PMS Dragon. And for me my friends, she is like the Sugar Dragon on steroids! Ugh. I ate great meals, worked in the yard, tried to stay distracted. Wrong or right, I have to admit I ended my night with 1/4 cup full-fat coconut milk, 1 teaspoon sun butter and 1/2 cup blueberries. Oh well. Way better than I have done in the past. Needless to say, I am curious if this, too, will improve after the whole 30 days.

@Ramonax-glad you are feeling better today. I am very familiar with hitting the wall. Never fun. Hoping we are around the bend from Tiger Blood. :D  

@IronGirlTrixie-AMEN! to dancing is like meditation. I am glad you make that a priority for yourself. I would die without dancing!

Congrats to all of us for making it this far. I know I am a broken record, but thanks for sharing. I continue to be surprised with how much this forum is helping me. And now, my treat to myself...no laundry or dishes today (the boys will do it). Out to the patio to soak up some sun!

@Midna - definitely understandable and "better than it would have been in the past" = progress! This whole experience is meant to be a learning curve about your own tendencies, habits, crutches, and places where we have some room for improvement. What I'm reading is that you acted with mindfulness and enough self-awareness to make a healthier choice for yourself and stay committed to your goals. Good job! :)

Around that phase where the "newness" excitement has worn off a bit (as cautioned in the book), which is where the real heavy lifting begins. I've done a better job with my sugar dragon - eating more protein than I would have in the past really seems to help. It clarifies "eh, I'm kinda hungry, better eat" sentiment into "I am not hungry. I don't need to eat until my next meal!"

I've also taken it easy during this first week as far as exercise goes - I've been getting my >10k steps during each day but have only run a few times, allowing my body to adjust. 

Hope you're all doing well ! 

Hmmm ... I can see how you would interpret that statement that way. I understand how it would be confusing to read that and then hear we want you to use protein, veg and fat for any between meal snacks.  Thanks for sharing how it could be misinterpreted!

Our snack recommendations (at minimum) say to include at least 2 out of the 3 macronutrients. So, you'd have protein + fat, or fat + carbs, or protein + carbs. That's why an apple and almonds work. It'd be better to stave off hunger and feel satiated if you did have a complete mini-meal, but if you're really on-the-go that may be challenging. Two out of three will do.

Best,

Melissa

Thank you, that helps, the snack part is confusing and seems to be conflictual message on the forums. 

So I made the sunshine sauce. Didn't really put it together that it would taste like peanut sauce (duh) so next time I will be sure to use lime and rice vinegar. I didn't have lime and used a lemon and apple cider vinegar. It was pretty good. 

and my PMS dragon came to visit as well. I have to say the emotional roller coaster (I say euphemistically to mean the hellish, teary, rage filled, needy blob of fury) was not evident. I think the tiredness was part of that, but overall it was pretty good. cool.

Yesterday was the first day I "gave in" to my sugar cravings.  Not meaning that I went off the Whole30, but the first day I purposefully ate something to curb a sugar craving (an apple with almond butter instead of something in accordance with my meal plan).  I felt crappy (physically) afterward and had a little crash.

Today has been 100% better.  Lesson learned.

Anyone have a favorite Whole30 recipe they like so far?  We've made the spaghetti squash spaghetti a couple times and I really like it...

Burgers with sweet potato buns are a definite favorite. I've also had great experiences with all of the salad dressings and my family actually loved when I made a cilantro-lime style olive oil based dressing (put it on a grilled chicken salad)!

I had some ground pork in the fridge, so I mixed it with sweet potato, almond flour and egg and added cinnamon/thyme/parsley and burgers with them. I've made 3 million of the salmon cakes. Also the chicken from this recipe which I keep in the fridge  http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2014/03/sizzling-chicken-fajitas/

today is hard. I'm bored, it's raining, it's 10 degrees (I live in Northern Canada), I want a tea and a piece of chocolate. I see I want it b/c I'm bored and am trying to be mindful of the experience and how the emotion is dictating the craving. But also I am thinking "this is stupid, I can do what I want. I can have a piece of chocolate  if I want".  So I'll have the tea and wait it out.

I had something similar just happened to me. I waited a good half hour but I felt like I would eat broccoli and salmon so I had an emergency snack. It seemed to help. Maybe you should write a story about the day or rain. I've also been tempted lately to get one of those meditation coloring books to use for distraction.

Anyone have a favorite Whole30 recipe they like so far?  We've made the spaghetti squash spaghetti a couple times and I really like it...

My favourite Whole30 dish this round has definitely been these cabbage wraps with almond butter and ground chicken/bean sprout/herb filling. Super easy to put together!

Old favourites:

• Sweet potato hash - sometimes I add grated carrots or parsnips too!
  • Homemade burgers with lettuce buns are easy, and I can usually make yummy toppings out of whatever I have around. Examples: grilled peppers and zucchini, pineapple, caramelized mushrooms and onions, roasted acorn squash chips, avocado, salsa
  • Any type of "noodles" are a classic for me too. Love spaghetti squash but also a big fan of bok choy noodles with a stir fry like this. Coconut oil with garlic or ginger & salt is all it takes!
  • This pork hock stew (based off of Good Not Perfect's recipe) is one of my faovurite things in the world

My instagram is kind of a log for food so I don't forget what I've made  :P so that's why all the pics

today is hard. I'm bored, it's raining, it's 10 degrees (I live in Northern Canada), I want a tea and a piece of chocolate. I see I want it b/c I'm bored and am trying to be mindful of the experience and how the emotion is dictating the craving. But also I am thinking "this is stupid, I can do what I want. I can have a piece of chocolate  if I want".  So I'll have the tea and wait it out.

I'm also in northern (ish) Canada. On top of this crappy weather, one of our family's two cats died last night. Sigh. It's definitely been one of those days. I just want to curl up in bed, watch TV, and eat packets of fruity baby food + almond butter. Emotions definitely drive my cravings... it's crazy how justified I feel in not eating properly when I'm feeling down or really any extreme emotion...

Awesome recipes / food ideas, thanks guys!

I'm on Day 8!  With every new day we begin, I feel encouraged and pumped.

Isn't it crazy to be able to pinpoint the triggers for emotional eating?  Boredom, sadness, loneliness, etc... the Whole30 has allowed me to confront the fact that I am tempted to eat/eat sugar when bored, and when I'm alone or lonely.   I didn't know these were my "triggers". 

I've made a list of small things I've been meaning to do for a while, and when I feel bored, or like sitting down and eating junk, I just knock out one of those to-do list things.  It's a win-win.

Have a great day.  Candace

I started July 20th for the first time.  I am really loving this way of eating.  I am not missing cheese and bread, which I thought I would.  I only miss it at work, since I work in an Italian restaurant; but fortunately I'm able to get whole 30 compliant meals for dinner; like great salads (I bring my own dressing) and zucchini noodles. 

I am on day 10 and still feel really tired early in the night and early morning, even though I've been sleeping great!  Is this normal?  I am normally not a big sleeper and now I've been asleep by 10 pm and awake by 6 or 7 am.   I also feel like everyone else is losing weight and I don't really feel like I've lost anything?  Is all of this normal?

Definitely agree about the emotional/boredom inspired cravings - trying to distract myself for as long as possible works the best for me. I get out of the house to take  a walk and listen to podcasts (totally understand that this is a Southern California luxury, sorry Canadians  :mellow: ).. tea is great. I used to be a gum addict (yes, this is a real thing) and I'd find myself propping cravings/chewing out of total boredom and have instead switched to brushing my teeth more often to get that "want to eat" lack of flavor out of my mouth. 

Doing something creative usually distracts me too, @IronGirlTrixie ! Painting my nails is a win/win because I am mindful to keep my hands still..makes mindless eating impossible to do. 

Keep at it, guys! The longer you go without giving in to the emotional/boredom cravings, the easier they get :) Hope everyone has a great day!

Hi, everyone...to those of you in Canada, sorry about the weather. I am in Washington and this has been an incredible Summer, but you know our reputation for rain, rain, rain.  So I totally understand the challenge of gray, cold (not THAT cold) weather.

@Ramonax- hope the tea did the trick!

@dizzylizzard- so sorry about the family cat. That is rough. Grief and frustration are my biggest triggers.

@Jordan-thanks for the positive reply. You are right that anything better than before is just that...BETTER. And I will confess, since you were brave enough to say it aloud, I, too, was a gum addict.  My kids started to say, "will you STOP chewing gum!" I thought it would help me not eat. It's actually so bad for you...messes up the digestive process.

I was so tired yesterday. Still ate great meals, but couldn't find my groove. Much better so far...attempting the mayo today. Thanks for the recipes. I am allergic to almonds and haven't really cared until I read that recipe with almond flour...Ramonax! That sounds delish.

Here we go, guys...almost to the double-digit days of this. We can do it!!  Nothing tastes as good as feeling good FEELS!! Oh, one more thing, had a crazy dream that I was holding a huge candy bar. It was wafer-like cookie in the middle with peanut butter layers surrounded by a Snickers! I said, "If I just cut off the end and eat it, I can still mark the day off on my calendar." Shwew...you know I was happy to wake up from that. :o

I've been feeling a little sluggish but I think it's in part I don't sleep well. But sleep has been better than when I started.

I didn't prep as well last night for today. I'm out until late this evening so all meals will be away from home. However, I got creative and brought in the mini crockpot and am cooking salsa chicken at my desk with fried cauliflower rice that was sitting in the freezer. Bam! Staying on plan. ;)

I was so tired yesterday. Still ate great meals, but couldn't find my groove. Much better so far...attempting the mayo today. Thanks for the recipes. I am allergic to almonds and haven't really cared until I read that recipe with almond flour...Ramonax! That sounds delish.

Minda, I bet coconut flour would substitute in any recipe that calls for almond flour. 

Well, I'm sticking with it but I'm having migraine type symptoms, then I eat a meal and they go away for a bit. The next meal comes and I feel like I'm forcing it down to prevent another migraine-esque episode. Is anyone else having similar issues?

I am not - but according to this forum some culprits could be: not enough water, not enough fat, not enough carbs? 

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/6270-9-days-into-my-whole-30-ive-had-3-migraines-whats-going-on/

I'm still so freaking tired. I have tried upping my carby-veggies/fruit to see if it will change.

Archived