July 21st Start

lunabear54

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Ramonax and Mona, I have been SO tired at night, it's crazy... and awesome because I actually go to sleep on time.  My eyes are crossing around 9 pm (I'm up between 4 and 5).

I think y'all are talking about being woozy during the day, but man. Just wanted to chime in.  Also, sometimes when I feel a lull coming on, I run to the nearest water bottle and down it.  Believe it or not, it helps significantly.

IronGirlTrixie, I hope you are feeling better soon!!! 

@Ramonax and Mona, I have been SO tired at night, it's crazy... and awesome because I actually go to sleep on time.  My eyes are crossing around 9 pm (I'm up between 4 and 5).

I think y'all are talking about being woozy during the day, but man. Just wanted to chime in.  Also, sometimes when I feel a lull coming on, I run to the nearest water bottle and down it.  Believe it or not, it helps significantly.

IronGirlTrixie, I hope you are feeling better soon!!!

Thanks. I'm working it out. I'm also feeling tired earlier than I usually do so something must be working right! Cause we can't all be wrong!

Have a great Friday everyone!

Maybe y'all know how to use this forum better than me, so, is there a way to be notified when new posts are made to threads I am following?  Or to recognize if someone @s me?

Thanks!

On the notification  of posts in a thread you're  following, first have you clicked on "follow this topic" in the upper right corner? (Just above the "Reply to this Topic" button.) After that, in your Profile, select My Settings > Notification Options to choose how you want to be notified.

If someone just puts an @ sign in front of your name, that doesn't do anything in this forum.  If someone wants you to know they responded to your post, they should quote your post (as I've done in this post), by clicking the Quote option in the lower right of the post in question.  That will notify you based on the notification settings you've made in your profile.

Hey all. Sorry I haven't been able to check in much. How are things going? Still lots of feeling really tired and peeing all the time? Lol I feel it's important to notice even when those small things change.

I'm visiting a friend in a different city for a few days so I've had to do some shopping and cooking here. I visit her a few times a year and have never really tried to be very healthy when with her, since it's so infrequently.

Today was my friend's boy's third birthday. We had a big picnic at a splash park, which involved tons of sandwiches, chips, juice, and a big delicious marble cake. There was ALSO a big veggie tray, tons of fruit, and sticky rice + compliant chicken & pepper salad (contributed by me). I made it through without feeling much temptation, besides the food being there and just tempted to snack on it (even limited that pretty well though). I had packed tons of compliant snack foods (Lara and epic bars, baby food, etc) but didn't end up needing any of it! I had a great time playing with all the kids and babies. The hardest part was not tasting other's hard-worked-on creations, like the decadent homemade cake.

I'm doing good. I upped my carbs (sweet potato/potato-potato) and felt great yesterday. Had energy to get chores done. My baby was up all night so I don't know if I would have slept better, but I did feel a lot more patient and calm as he screamed! 

It would be hard to not eat decadent homemade cake at a party! Every single year I make a lemon meringue pie for my best friend's birthday. That would be this weekend and I just can't do it. I can be around sweets, but to actually do all the work, the measuring and mixing and whipping the egg whites and not even taste it! I just can't. So I gave her a Post-W30-Lemon-Pie-Voucher. 

IronGirlTrixie - how are the headaches?

@Ramonax, that's a great idea, the voucher, haha!  I wouldn't be able to make that cake either.

And kudos, @dizzylizzard!  So glad you checked in.  I had a similar experience last weekend at a 2 year old's birthday party... Except they put us in a closed-off room with pizza, a lathered-in-icing cake, and ice cream.  I felt like I was locked in a box of temptation, hahahaha... But it came together just fine.  At the end of the day, I know that purple tutu cake isn't going to make my day.

I have a question for everyone.  Are you experiencing bloating still? 

When I wake up in the morning, BAM, my stomach is flat and trimmer than pre-Whole30.  But the second I eat breakfast, I look pregnant.

But seriously.  Like 5 months pregnant.

I know it can take time for the gut to heal, etc... just wondering if you are experiencing stuff like this.

Candace

Candace, I have a very similar feeling. I have attributed it to my body adjusting to three meals a day, rather than the graze method I've always infamously employed. I think because I've been fasting for 12ish hours by the time I eat breakfast, my stomach is empty..then, when I eat 1/3 of my daily intake at one time, I go from very empty to very full, hence the food baby. I think it's still an adjustment period and hoping my body figures out the different pattern soon!

I'm doing good. I upped my carbs (sweet potato/potato-potato) and felt great yesterday. Had energy to get chores done. My baby was up all night so I don't know if I would have slept better, but I did feel a lot more patient and calm as he screamed!

It would be hard to not eat decadent homemade cake at a party! Every single year I make a lemon meringue pie for my best friend's birthday. That would be this weekend and I just can't do it. I can be around sweets, but to actually do all the work, the measuring and mixing and whipping the egg whites and not even taste it! I just can't. So I gave her a Post-W30-Lemon-Pie-Voucher.

IronGirlTrixie - how are the headaches?

I think I figured out what's causing them. All trial and error though. Ditching allergy medicine and causing a different one while working with ENT. A long story. And they weighed me at the clinic, I tried not to look and she may have recorded the number wrong by a lot anyway.

I'm also getting the bloat but I agree I think it may be an adjustment period. But I got the best sleep on Friday than I have in a VERY long time so something must be working! ;)

Hey, everyone...sounds like a lot going on! I have had a very busy weekend...it's been in the 90's here, and my 81 year old father decided NOW is the time to build a fence!! So my boys and I have been over there helping dig holes, steady posts, and pour cement. It was a great way to sweat and drink mass water. I have been exhausted by the end of the day, though, and that's why I've been absent.

I know it is late, but water has been essential to ending headaches. More water than they suggest on the website...at least for me. Maybe because it's hot here, but I am drinking almost a gallon a day. I also had to add yams/sweet potatoes at least once every day to keep up my energy...like Ramonax did. That was hard because I am so used to "no starchy carb" plans. Ditto on the fat allowance...hard to believe I need it, but it helped.

I made the wasabi mayo and it is wonderful...husband LOVES it. And, by the way, he has been enjoying the meals I make. He just adds his corn tortilla to something or some cheese where he wants. Everyone seems to be okay with this and I am looking forward to more sauce recipes.

Oh boy, rambling on ;) ...one last thought: Candace, I am feeling the same way. Loving the flatter belly each morning and then, bam! EXACTLY like you say...prego. :(  I do believe it is adjustment to the veggies and maybe even fat. Sadly, the gut can take quite a while to heal...gladly, it feels better every morning!! We are almost half way and I bet things will be better by week 3.

I am also glad to report that I feel like something wonderful is going on at a much deeper level...healing from the inside out. Not the greatest for wearing a bikini just yet, but better for being lean from now on....Peace!

For those of you experiencing bloating, this can be caused by a variety of items, including:
- not drinking enough water (especially if you are eating lots more vegetables than you were pre-Whole30). Our recommendation is to drink at least 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of body weight daily

- nuts and nut butters

- raw vegetables

- cruciferous vegetables

- carbonated water

If anyone would like to get more detailed feedback on what they're eating and possible tweaks, feel free to post 2-3 days worth of your typical food log in the Troubleshooting section. Include portion sizes, and daily water consumption. We can then take a look and make suggestions on changes that might help reduce the bloat.

Have you invested in a spiral / noodle slicer of any kind?

I want to get one to jazz up my Whole30, and I have a Williams Sonoma gift card (bonus!).

If you have one, which kind do you like?  I know there are forums about this but I wanted to hear your opinion in here.

Candace

For those of you experiencing bloating, this can be caused by a variety of items, including:

- not drinking enough water (especially if you are eating lots more vegetables than you were pre-Whole30). Our recommendation is to drink at least 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of body weight daily

- nuts and nut butters

- raw vegetables

- cruciferous vegetables

- carbonated water

If anyone would like to get more detailed feedback on what they're eating and possible tweaks, feel free to post 2-3 days worth of your typical food log in the Troubleshooting section. Include portion sizes, and daily water consumption. We can then take a look and make suggestions on changes that might help reduce the bloat.

I laid off the nuts.  Huge difference.

Have you invested in a spiral / noodle slicer of any kind?

I want to get one to jazz up my Whole30, and I have a Williams Sonoma gift card (bonus!).

If you have one, which kind do you like? I know there are forums about this but I wanted to hear your opinion in here.

Candace

I haven't invested in one but am considering it. I still just use a julienne peeler.

And kudos, @dizzylizzard!  So glad you checked in.  I had a similar experience last weekend at a 2 year old's birthday party... Except they put us in a closed-off room with pizza, a lathered-in-icing cake, and ice cream.  I felt like I was locked in a box of temptation, hahahaha... But it came together just fine.  At the end of the day, I know that purple tutu cake isn't going to make my day.

"Locked in a box of temptation" hahaha! Definitely been there, and I feel your pain! But at this point in the program I'm finding temptation pretty easy to stave off. Anyone else finding this? After two weeks of just not letting myself eat bad stuff, it's become automatic... what a lovely feeling!

For those bloating, is it still going on? According to the timeline, second week and on is when a lot of the real gut healing is starting to happen, so I can imagine why we all have some bloating/gas/etc. My bloat hasn't been too bad personally, but gas and a little bit of intestinal uncomfortability has definitely been a thing for me.

We are on Day 15 guys! Whoohoo! Congrats to all on making it halfway! Anyone planning on treating themself to a non-food reward? I'm going out to buy a dress for a wedding (usually wouldn't buy something brand new)

@IronGirlTrixie, I have a julienne slicer too- do those make noodles? Am I missing something huge?!

I currently use it to make long thin slices for "lasagnas".

I use the julienne peeler on zucchini. Put them in a colander, salt and wait. For a minimum of 20 minutes. Rinse salt off, press out as much water as you can and voila multipurpose noodles.

I used a regular peeler for lasagna noodles. I've tried a mandoline slicer but I couldn't get a good grip on the zucchini. I have better success with the julienne.

I haven't been having bloating really. A bit more at night time, but not much. It resolved for me in the first week. In somewhat bloating news, my boobs are smaller. I'm not going to lie, not that much of a 'non scale victory'.  A friend said "maybe you are like a camel, that's where you store your water". 

I haven't been really tempted either. I feel pretty resolved, but I am like that. I can stick to something for a timeline in my head, it's the after 30 days - actually I think I'm going to do a W45? - that I am worried about. I've had this experience before, say when I'm training for a running race. I train diligently and then the day after the race I'm all pizza and television. I'd like to work on being less extreme, more in the middle. Not an entire bag of easter eggs a day and not no sugar for the rest of my life. So that's my eating goal. 

And I was super excited today. I've been making speghetti squash, but finding it hard to cut the squash in half. Yesterday my parter noticed this giant cleaver we have and said "do we ever use this? we should get rid of it" and I said "sure"..but then today while looking at this squash I thought 'CLEAVER' and whacked the squash like a crazy person and it split right in half with one chop! It was like I was cool chef on food network.  

I use the julienne peeler on zucchini. Put them in a colander, salt and wait. For a minimum of 20 minutes. Rinse salt off, press out as much water as you can and voila multipurpose noodles.

I used a regular peeler for lasagna noodles. I've tried a mandoline slicer but I couldn't get a good grip on the zucchini. I have better success with the julienne.

I AM CRACKING UP.  I don't have a julienne slicer, IronGirlTrixie, I have a mandolin slicer, hahaha. 

Obviously I should start my own Whole30 cooking show.  I know my stuff.

No wonder I can't make noodles with my "julienne" aka mandolin slicer.

@Ramonax- I need that cleaver to chop things on days when my toddler is whining, "Book?! Book?! Book?!" as I try to cook my complicated 20-step dinners.

I totally feel you and sympathize about working toward a goal and then afterward being like, "Well, what now? Pizza?".

I'm striving for more moderated in-the-middle behaviors as well.  I am confident a whole thirty days will help engrain new habits, but can I keep my dragon at bay???

I am glad to hear the resolve in these posts. I am with you, Ramonax...be committed, train hard, and when you reach the "goal" it's like you can "go for it" in whatever binge you may desire. This feels different, though. I have read so many blogs and articles from Melissa and Dallas that I TRULY want to change for more than a week post whlole30.

So...@ Ramonax, if you really decide to do a W45, keep me posted! As of now, I am desiring the same thing. I am a Special Education Teacher and still have the rest of August off. It seems a perfect time to keep going. Then I will have a stronger foundation when I get back into the stress of work and my boys back in school, too.

Way to go everyone...we are HALF-WAY through!! I bought new exercise pants and a pair of running shoes today. And about the bloat...I cut back on all nuts and also realized it was my La Croix carbonated water...duh!!

And about the bloat...I cut back on all nuts and also realized it was my La Croix carbonated water...duh!!

I've been trying to figure out what is not liking me in the plan. I haven't been offroading or anything. I think I figured it out this morning since I slept like I did before starting whole30. The seltzer water. The fizz is getting the boot today.

Archived