July 21st Start

lunabear54

I haven't been really tempted either. I feel pretty resolved, but I am like that. I can stick to something for a timeline in my head, it's the after 30 days - actually I think I'm going to do a W45? - that I am worried about. I've had this experience before, say when I'm training for a running race. I train diligently and then the day after the race I'm all pizza and television. I'd like to work on being less extreme, more in the middle. Not an entire bag of easter eggs a day and not no sugar for the rest of my life. So that's my eating goal.

I definitely have a hard time finding a balance too.. I think Life After Whole30 is definitely harder than the Whole30 itself because it requires so many conscious decisions. This being my 4th Whole30, I have to start wondering if I am not really someone who can do things in moderation. Sometimes I feel like even one conscious treat (post-W30) can lead to so much temptation for more.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been trying to figure out what is not liking me in the plan. I haven't been offroading or anything. I think I figured it out this morning since I slept like I did before starting whole30. The seltzer water. The fizz is getting the boot today.

I hope quitting the seltzer water helps!! I also have to watch the garlic and onions because I love them in EVERYTHING and that can take some getting used to.

Not to be a downer, but I am not feeling the Tiger Blood....patience, Grasshopper. I have actually been tired again by the early evening. Yes, I go to bed early, and rise early, but this is tired by 5pm. Not cool.

Still...I am glad to be plugging along. Feel better than I would if I reached for sugar, chips, etc. Hope all of you are doing well. So you know, I tried the mayo on my baked salmon and it was delicious. Very moist... :D

Me too. That's the reason for this forum, to complain, to celebrate to ask questions and of course, to talk about our bowels. 

I don't feel tiger blood either - but I do have energy. I don't like to sit as much, I got a bunch of chores done yesterday. I am sleeping better - though my mean baby still gets me up so many times a night I never get a 'good sleep'. Which is why there is always a tinge of tired over me. 

I've started taking magnesium as well and think that is helping with sleep.

It felt like something snuck back into the food but I know I didn't cheat even when working a scabs hunt and making dough for an art project. I didn't want it in any case. I'm definitely not feeling tiger blood. But I'll wait. Yesterday was my first time out to eat in awhile and one minor goof. I forgot Caesar salad also came with cheese. They were kind and just replaced the lettuce and gave me more tomatoes. The fizz is gone and things seem to be better.

Idk about everyone else, but I appreciate your honesty, @Midna!!!

Thank you! And you, too, Ramonax. I feel like this whole journey so far is about being honest, so I have to do it here, too! Felt better yesterday...energy wise. I think I am struggling with my inner voice of, "You haven't lost that much weight, is this really worth it?" I often have expectations that are scale based and not what really matters in the big picture.

My "inner demon" self is the Ego saying this isn't good enough, are you SURE you don't want to have a "goodie"? Sometimes arguing with my self can get tiring!!   ;)

Have a great Saturday everyone...we have come so far! It is an over-cast day and I am looking forward to some cooking adventures! 

Good morning...hope everyone had a great week-end. I just wanted to report that I love the daily emails. It seems that whatever I am dealing with is the topic of an article or blog that we are linked to. The media stuff of yesterday was great...I am embarrassed by the fact that I STILL want to look like so-and-so when she is 5'7" and I am 5'2"!!

Or that "...to feel good" isn't REALLY a worthy goal. I mean, we all WANT to feel good, but it usually has to come wrapped in a particular package (body weight, inches, etc). So today talks about habits and I am working on NOT looking at Fitness magazines and feeling like, "...almost there, just 7 more pounds to lose..."

I AM THERE! I am here, with all of you, improving my eating habits and FEELING my body and trusting it throughout the day like never before. Day 21, folks. Crazy. It's gone pretty fast.

Is anyone getting renewed cravings? What are you guys challenged by, or are you flying through this now? Please share your place in this journey. I have a bad habit of watching T.V. and wanting to eat. I only watch on the weekends, mostly, but that feels like an "off" day. My brain is like, "dessert??"

Is anyone getting renewed cravings? What are you guys challenged by, or are you flying through this now? Please share your place in this journey. I have a bad habit of watching T.V. and wanting to eat. I only watch on the weekends, mostly, but that feels like an "off" day. My brain is like, "dessert??"

I'm fighting the urge to step on the scale big time today. I blame the 'for whatever reason I couldn't get to sleep last night' . Must have had things on my mind.

The other trouble I'm having is on the weekends, I'm sleeping in so getting three meals in a day is tough. Then afternoon boredom hits and I used to graze. Again mostly on the weekends in my before Whole30 life. These two items are really my struggles this past weekend and today.

Occasionally, my brain says dessert but it's close enough to a meal that if I throw in fruit, I'm satisfied.

1.  I think Tiger Blood set in today... or it might be a fluke.  I went to the beach with family, had my first dining-out experience (successfully), chased and lugged my toddler around, and I fully expected to be exhausted from the sun.  But, no, I went to the gym and still feel great.  I am very, very pleased with how I feel.  No fuzzy headedness, no fatigue.

2. Midna, I did and do get cravings one hour post-lunch, quite frequently!  Truth be told, sometimes I scarf a banana.  There, yep, I said it.  100% truth.  Am I going to start over the Whole30?  Um, no.  Everything else has gone pretty great so far. 

3. How is everyone's bank statements these days? haha. I know our grocery budget will be busted this month.  It's expensive to eat whole foods, and nice filling meals all the time, man!  But I'm loving it.  THAT is the part I'm wondering how I'll keep it together after this.  I may have to do some re-arranging.

AND, @Midna... This is kind of personal but, on the note about the body image and newsletter...

I love the newsletter, too!  It is so awesome.  It makes getting out of bed at the crack of dawn before my son wakes up SO much easier!  I pour a cup of coffee and I look forward to reading it.

That being said, I'm glad you touched on that topic.  It was eye-opening for me this morning.  Ya know, body image flaws can go either way.  Wanting to slim down, or, to get more buff, or look more a certain type.  I liked the "Let go of ideal and just be real!" headline.

I needed a reminder to get real with myself, and today helped.

XOXO

Candace

I hope it is okay to quote this from the newsletter today.  I'm sure this is available to the public on the Clothes Make the Girl blog:

“What if I’ve been looking at this thing from the wrong direction all along?

My underlying motivation for all of it – the weight loss, the physical challenges, the healthy eating – has always been that I wanted to be the best version of myself that I could possibly be. Happy, healthy, fit, strong, attractive. But that pure motivation got bastardized into numbers and external measures that divorced what I wanted from what I did.

So what if I try something different? For the first time in almost 30 years, what if I don’t set a physical goal – no weight loss, no leaning out, no target time on the clock or weight on the bar.

Instead, what if I just behave like the best version of myself? Then I will be her.

The other trouble I'm having is on the weekends, I'm sleeping in so getting three meals in a day is tough. Then afternoon boredom hits and I used to graze. Again mostly on the weekends in my before Whole30 life. These two items are really my struggles this past weekend and today.

Occasionally, my brain says dessert but it's close enough to a meal that if I throw in fruit, I'm satisfied.

2. Midna, I did and do get cravings one hour post-lunch, quite frequently!  Truth be told, sometimes I scarf a banana.  There, yep, I said it.  100% truth.  Am I going to start over the Whole30?  Um, no.  Everything else has gone pretty great so far. 

I'm definitely getting renewed cravings. I think it might be a byproduct of the fact that I've been away traveling and I'm finally back home with more time on my hands... Kind of like the weekend effect you talk about, @IronGirlTrixie. The TV & mindless snacking connection is definitely there for me, and I tend to sleep in too so when it's tough to get 3 full meals, snacking seems convenient.

To be totally honest... last night I was exhausted from travel and unpacking and in my head it was very, "You've been good for 20 days, why not a yummy snack?" So I had a spoonful of almond butter and an orange. Which led to more cravings while I watched TV. I ended up having throughout the night: 3 homemade sausages, a piece of prosciutto, a few more licks of almond butter, and a pouch of delicious cherry-apple baby food.

This was after 3 full meals that day. What?! One little snack and I went off the rails! I definitely need motivation to keep myself on track. Everything was technically compliant, and I'm not shaming myself about it because I think that could lead to an mindless-stress-eating spiral, but I really want to try not to let myself do that again.

Granted (and this might be TMI... sorry), I got my period on Day 19 and since then I have been wanting snacky comfort-type foods a lot more. Which sucks, and I know I need to power through. I definitely feel like my body craves more protein, fat, and salt right now too. Has anyone else felt this?

Hi everyone!

Candace, I hear you with the cost. I'm spending so much money! and my teenager is coming home soon from his mom's for the summer - he eats 16x what we all eat. I'm not sure I'll be able to pay the mortgage and feed us all. :) Food up here (in Yukon) is expensive as it is. Organic is ridiculous. i.e. I bought 4 organic yams on Sunday and it came to $21! I'll definitely have to figure it out.

Minda/DizzyLizzard and IronGirl - I am getting cravings on and off. I eat a lot of fruit and that seems to help. Cherries in my salad, peaches with my salmon. and yams. I keep having these low energy tired tired days and then eat 2 yams and feel great the following day. I think I need to work hard to keep the carbs up and that seems to help cravings. Well, at least the physical cravings. I definitely notice the emotional cravings. When I'm bored or grumpy. I'm trying to pick apart what the thoughts are behind that. I definitely have some of the "I deserve a treat" thinking. But also when bored I go to food. It's what I want for comfort and soothing and there aren't really any thoughts. So I want it to be less automatic and I want to me mindful of whatever process is going on. I understand why eating when bored makes sense, it fills the time, but how come I have such a hard time doing something else? Why can't I, say, read a book and not have the thought in my head "go get food". 

@dizzylizzard: I got my period the first week of this program. I was surprised by it's arrival and thought the eating must have helped with my normal premenstrual rage. But I was also so focused on eating then I don't think I was aware of how it might have felt different period wise. However normally I crave different foods and have different energy levels, so it makes sense. When I read what you ate:  spoonful of almond butter and an orange, 3 homemade sausages, a piece of prosciutto, a few more licks of almond butter, and a pouch of delicious cherry-apple baby food", that is basically a fourth meal. I understand the snack leading to snack spiral, but maybe you know now that the first day of your period you need an extra meal? Which you could plan for? I certainly have different levels of hunger on different days. 

Can you believe we are at 3 weeks?

Granted (and this might be TMI... sorry), I got my period on Day 19 and since then I have been wanting snacky comfort-type foods a lot more. Which sucks, and I know I need to power through. I definitely feel like my body craves more protein, fat, and salt right now too. Has anyone else felt this?

It's totally normal and expected that your body wants more carbs just before or at the beginning of your period.  Be sure to get in 1-2 servings of starchy vegetables daily and this should help. 

Have you invested in a spiral / noodle slicer of any kind?

I want to get one to jazz up my Whole30, and I have a Williams Sonoma gift card (bonus!).

If you have one, which kind do you like?  I know there are forums about this but I wanted to hear your opinion in here.

Candace

So did you pick one?  Do you like it?  Since I've been using the julienne peeler so often, I'm thinking I might need to upgrade.

@Ramonax.... I'M SORRY, DID YOU SAY TWENTY-ONE DOLLARS for FOUR organic YAMS?!?!?!?! HOLY moly, man!  You weren't kidding.  I'd be on the side of the street with a sign by now.  "Will work for organic yams".  SHEESH

Sorry, that was kind of tacky.

Anyway, @IronGirlTrixie, I did pick one!  I decided if I was going to get one, I'd spend an extra $10 and GET ONE.  A 4- blade one (ooooh, I'm sure a hush just fell over this forum when I said that.  SO fancy. Hahahaha)

It's this one. http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/paderno-spiralizer-4-blade/?pkey=e%7Cspiral%2Bslicer%7C98%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH   I used a gift card, woo hoo.

I used it to make this, which was fabulous and different:

http://primalblissnutrition.com/2014/08/tuna-zoodle-casserole-with-smoked-paprika-by-primal-bliss-nutrition/

I think just like any tool (blender, etc)...the meal would have to be worth it to dirty up such a complicated little utensil.  The bonus with your julienne peeler is, can you put it in the dishwasher?  And, it's just one piece, right?  So, the trade off with a spiralizer is, it takes less time to do the actual slicing/spiraling... but then you have to clean it and all the pieces that go to it.  So we might spend the same amount of time.

Candace

I think just like any tool (blender, etc)...the meal would have to be worth it to dirty up such a complicated little utensil. The bonus with your julienne peeler is, can you put it in the dishwasher? And, it's just one piece, right? So, the trade off with a spiralizer is, it takes less time to do the actual slicing/spiraling... but then you have to clean it and all the pieces that go to it. So we might spend the same amount of time.

Candace

The peeler can go into the dishwasher but I wind up scrubbing it with a brush because of the tongs.

OMG... Tuna noodle casserole?!

It's totally normal and expected that your body wants more carbs just before or at the beginning of your period.  Be sure to get in 1-2 servings of starchy vegetables daily and this should help. 

Thanks, again, GF Chris! I LOVE the advice to eat more starchy vegetables. As I have said before, I have been on so many "plans" that take that away, too. I used to "bonk" all the time! Yams are awesome! Unless, of course, they cost $21 FOR FOUR!!!

@Ramonax-definitely skip organic on that and spend for the meat! No street signs, friends!! :D

Day 23 and I am really thinking about the end of this...what will I choose? It's actually been so much fun to cook great meals, but I go back to work in September and that makes me nervous. How to plan ahead for lunch at work? I guess it is just like now, but even MORE organized. I can do it! I am not really looking forward to talking about this. I mean, I would love it if people were TRULY interested, but I work with a lot of women that are just being competitive and it's a waste of time.

Anyway...enjoy another AWESOME day!  Thanks for all the sharing about where you are on this journey. Strangely, I was not eating breakfast within an hour of waking because I was NEVER hungry that fast. And, I usually have coffee and then go to the gym right away. As the days go by I HAVE to have something before the gym...growling tummy!! I actually think that's a non-scale victory, folks!

@Ramonax.... I'M SORRY, DID YOU SAY TWENTY-ONE DOLLARS for FOUR organic YAMS?!?!?!?! HOLY moly, man!  You weren't kidding.  I'd be on the side of the street with a sign by now.  "Will work for organic yams".  SHEESH

Sorry, that was kind of tacky.

Anyway, @IronGirlTrixie, I did pick one!  I decided if I was going to get one, I'd spend an extra $10 and GET ONE.  A 4- blade one (ooooh, I'm sure a hush just fell over this forum when I said that.  SO fancy. Hahahaha)

It's this one. http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/paderno-spiralizer-4-blade/?pkey=e%7Cspiral%2Bslicer%7C98%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH   I used a gift card, woo hoo.

I used it to make this, which was fabulous and different:

http://primalblissnutrition.com/2014/08/tuna-zoodle-casserole-with-smoked-paprika-by-primal-bliss-nutrition/

I think just like any tool (blender, etc)...the meal would have to be worth it to dirty up such a complicated little utensil.  The bonus with your julienne peeler is, can you put it in the dishwasher?  And, it's just one piece, right?  So, the trade off with a spiralizer is, it takes less time to do the actual slicing/spiraling... but then you have to clean it and all the pieces that go to it.  So we might spend the same amount of time.

Candace

Wow...that looks delicious! I always use that tuna. Now, I need a tool! 

I can't tell IronGirlTrixie if you're OMGing because it sounds 1. delicious, or, 2. disgusting, but I can assure you, you should try it!!!

OMGing because I love my Mom's and it would've never occurred to me to go there since it was made with a box of Mac and cheese and a can of tuna.

Day 23 and I am really thinking about the end of this...what will I choose? It's actually been so much fun to cook great meals, but I go back to work in September and that makes me nervous. How to plan ahead for lunch at work? I guess it is just like now, but even MORE organized. I can do it! I am not really looking forward to talking about this. I mean, I would love it if people were TRULY interested, but I work with a lot of women that are just being competitive and it's a waste of time.

I've been thinking about this too and I suspect I'll continue. At this point, it's a little less stressful think routine, my crockpots have become my new besties (roasting potatoes or meat overnight, while sleeping), and getting funky in the kitchen.

I've been working the whole time and some folks have said whatever you're doing keep doing it you look great. They don't need to know what I'm eating and half the time they see what it is and their mouth's water. I'm good with it. Now if I could get my extended family on board so they don't look at me funny or ask what can I make for dinner for you? My birthday is coming up so there's that bit during reintroduction. I'm thinking that's a gluten test day.

Since it's summer, I've been offered salt water taffy and today... There are donuts floating around. I don't need any of it.

Pretty sure after reintro-testing, I'll be back in a whole30. Most definitely if I fall seriously off the rails.

Thanks! I have upped the amount of sweet potato in my day (especially at breakfast) since you posted this and it definitely seems to have helped. Good to know!

Anyway...enjoy another AWESOME day!  Thanks for all the sharing about where you are on this journey. Strangely, I was not eating breakfast within an hour of waking because I was NEVER hungry that fast. And, I usually have coffee and then go to the gym right away. As the days go by I HAVE to have something before the gym...growling tummy!! I actually think that's a non-scale victory, folks!

I know I've got some big celebratory stuff at the end of this that will cause my reintroduction to not exactly be perfect. I'm resolute in trying my best though, now that I've done this while visiting friends/traveling, I'm hoping I can stick to my guns most of the time and choose when the treats are actually worth it. I'm hoping that friends/family will respect that, as long as I try my best not to make it inconvenient.

Yay for regulating hormones! That definitely sounds like an NSV to me!  :D

Question to this thread...

I've noticed my mouth is being weird.  It's like, dry-ish.  When I breath in, it's like I just swished moutwash.  It's kinda tingly or crisp-feeling.  Like cold air.

Heck, maybe I'm dehydrated.  But I've heard of side effects of ketosis through the mouth, as the body burns fat it releases something through breath.

I do not think this is happening to me, as I do eat fruit at least once a day usually.

Anything like this with you guys?

Otherwise feeling awesome!

....and have been sleeping less, but not feeling tired.... which is odd.

Candace

Archived