July 21st Start

lunabear54

Question to this thread...

I've noticed my mouth is being weird.  It's like, dry-ish.  When I breath in, it's like I just swished moutwash.  It's kinda tingly or crisp-feeling.  Like cold air.

Heck, maybe I'm dehydrated.  But I've heard of side effects of ketosis through the mouth, as the body burns fat it releases something through breath.

I do not think this is happening to me, as I do eat fruit at least once a day usually.

Anything like this with you guys?

Is it a metallic taste?  That can be a sign of going too low-carb.  Are you getting in at least a fist-size serving of carb-dense vegetables daily?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFChris, it is indeed a metallic taste.

I am a fan of starchy vegetables and usually have a sweet potato hash with breakfast (in addition to eggs and other veggies, and butter and MCT oil in my coffee)  or something of the like .... HOWEVER, this has led me to ask, am I eating enough?

I FEEL like I'm eating a lot at my meals, and snacks.  But, perhaps the breastfeeding and Crossfit has put me in too much of a calorie deficit or needing more carbs.

I am going to eat to my heart's content today (compliant foods of course) because this is freaking me out.  And drink lots of water.  I hope this will put me back into the +s. 

I find I need 1-2 servings of starchy veggies every day to feel normal. Every day I eat big ass servings of yams, potatoes, beets or squash. If I don't, I get fatigued. And I'm not cross-fitting. I'd also add a substantial post-workout meal. Breastfeeding definitely puts a different strain on us.

http://cavegirlplusone.com/blog/2015/1/22/how-many-carbs-to-eat-when-youre-breastfeeding-and-following-a-paleo-diet

@Ramonax, that article helped put things in perspective, thanks!!!  Love stuff like that.  Takeaway: eat the sweet potatoes, and enjoy them, haha.  They are actually already a part of my meal plan for dinner, and breakfast tomorrow.  Score.  Maybe I'll have 5 instead of 1???  Haha.

So, this leads me to another question, either for you folks or a moderator.

The metallic taste in my mouth is a result of ketones, right?  which are released when the body burns fat?  Sooooo isn't that the point of the Whole30?  I don't get it.  If we want to turn our bodies into fat-burners for energy, why do we NOT want ketones?

I know I need to post this in troubleshooting.  Just wondering if one of you already knows?

So, this leads me to another question, either for you folks or a moderator.

The metallic taste in my mouth is a result of ketones, right?  which are released when the body burns fat?  Sooooo isn't that the point of the Whole30?  I don't get it.  If we want to turn our bodies into fat-burners for energy, why do we NOT want ketones?

I know I need to post this in troubleshooting.  Just wondering if one of you already knows?

Ketosis has been discussed lots of times in the past on the forum. It's not necessarily bad, but it's not an objective of the Whole30 (since Whole30 is not intended to be low carb). A recent discussion here

And regarding your other post , yes, eat more, especially if you are nursing and crossftting. :) We generally advise nursing moms to have 4 meals a day, and on the days you Crossfit, have pre and or post workout meals as well.

GFChris, it is indeed a metallic taste.

I am a fan of starchy vegetables and usually have a sweet potato hash with breakfast (in addition to eggs and other veggies, and butter and MCT oil in my coffee)  or something of the like .... HOWEVER, this has led me to ask, am I eating enough?

I FEEL like I'm eating a lot at my meals, and snacks.  But, perhaps the breastfeeding and Crossfit has put me in too much of a calorie deficit or needing more carbs.

I am going to eat to my heart's content today (compliant foods of course) because this is freaking me out.  And drink lots of water.  I hope this will put me back into the +s. 

Breastfeeding + Crossfit = more food!

THANK you for the feedback about eating more / eating starchy carbs.  I feel like there should be an auto post that moderators have that just says, "Eat. More." as a response to pretty much everything, haha.

On another note, I have to share.  For the first, idk, 15 days, I still had "fuzzy headedness" or just a foggy brain feeling.  This is something I wanted to eliminate, and specifically track in the reintroduction period.... Now it's gone and I have a clear head and mind, and I'm so glad about it.  Now I look forward to pin-pointing the culprit later next week!  Dairy?  Gluten??

Candace

Wow, Candace, "PowerTool" really sounds appropriate for your username!! :) I admire the strength and persistence you have WHILE breast-feeding. That was a long time ago for me, but I had some great ladies always available to chat with about fatigue and exercise during those days.  Of course, there was no Cross-fit back then. (Wait, that sounds like I am REALLY old)!

Anyway, the answer was always, "Eat more"...especially the yams/sweet potatoes/squash.  It's actually kinda crazy how many calories breast-feeding burns. It is exciting in one way,(to me, anyway) that you are turning into a fat-burning machine. But, you do not want your milk production to suffer just yet.  Get that baby strong and immunized naturally first!

Hope that wasn't too much of MY opinion for ya....just excited about your progress!

I find I need 1-2 servings of starchy veggies every day to feel normal. Every day I eat big ass servings of yams, potatoes, beets or squash. If I don't, I get fatigued. And I'm not cross-fitting. I'd also add a substantial post-workout meal. Breastfeeding definitely puts a different strain on us.

http://cavegirlplusone.com/blog/2015/1/22/how-many-carbs-to-eat-when-youre-breastfeeding-and-following-a-paleo-diet

I feel this same way!!  I could not believe that I needed these EVERY day to "...feel normal." So...Day 25. It is so exciting to be here, at this point, with all of you. @Romonax-still thinking about W45? As the end gets nearer I am back on the fence about this. Keep me posted about your feelings.

One more thing...I hope you guys are signed up for the Whole9 newsletter. Got an article today about the WHOLE picture of health.  Keeping things in context and recognizing it is more than good nutrition. I know we all KNOW this, but I just love the way Dallas and Melissa write. They weren't kidding when they say at the beginning of the book, "This will change your life."

Thanks for the encouragement @Midna, and @IronGirlTrixie..... Hahahahahaha.  Is that what you dream of is just going to town on a box of saltines?  Are you watching TV, or savoring them on a plate at the dinner table?  I am cracking up.  I wonder what I would dream about if I went off-plan in my dreams...

..... Every day I eat big ass servings of yams, potatoes, beets or squash. If I don't, I get fatigued. ....

Also I just wanted to point out that this makes me laugh. 

@Minda - I am going for the 45. It will be harder as we have family coming on Tuesday and my step son is home the 21st - so more people to cook for and most likely some camping trips. But I am going to commit. I go back to work (after a year and a half off) on the 31 of Aug. I want to have a pretty strict plan for the first few days. Get use to bringing good lunches, not snacking like a sugar robot, refusing the cupcakes that someone is ALWAYS bringing to work. Also will provide some motivation to not come home and eat ice-cream while I cry about the end of my maternity leave. Extra days on the plan will give me a bit of a platform on which to build.

IronGirlTrixie - Saltines? Maybe your brain doesn't want to overload you with stimulation. But I agree. It's like having a sex dream about Channing Tatum and only getting to see his ankles. 

@PowerTool. EAT MORE! I say milk this breastfeeding situation for all it's worth. There won't be other times in our lives where people tell us that. EAT MORE MORE MORE. EAT ALL THE THINGS!

@Midna, I am not signed up for the Daily and I know what I am missing out on! I did sign up for it during my last Whole30 and it was amazing... I think it really does make a difference by keeping you on track mentally!

@IronGirlTrixie I had my first dream of eating something off-plan a few nights ago but at least it was a delicious burrito... The saltine thing is pretty funny!

Okay, here we are, Day 25. Random question but I've been around some pretty awesome looking food lately... What are you all most looking forward to reintroducing? Or just treating yourself to once reintroduction is complete? I have to say, I think for me it is wine... hehe

Okay, here we are, Day 25. Random question but I've been around some pretty awesome looking food lately... What are you all most looking forward to reintroducing? Or just treating yourself to once reintroduction is complete? I have to say, I think for me it is wine... hehe

I am looking forward to reintroducing dairy (some nice cheese or yogurt), but I have a feeling that is what causes me to feel crappy, so, then I'll know for sure I need to avoid it.  But... I'm gonna enjoy reintroducing it while I can.  Haha!

Also........ chocolate.  Just.  Chocolate. 

I am also looking forward to wine!!  :D  That is why I am struggling with the W45 idea. We are going camping with friends the last week of August and the wine/campfire/story-telling just sounds delicious. I am concerned about alcohol being the first thing I re-introduce. Is that a double-whammy of sugars??

But Ramonax is going camping and staying strong...hmmm...dilemma. I honestly am not very interested in much else. I have Celiac disease so grains have been off the list for some time. I make many "goodies" for my family that are from gluten-free grains, but that does not sound good either. Not yet, anyway.

My challenge was always corn stuff...chips, popcorn, tortillas...you get it. But I have read so many articles about the digestive issues with corn that I am ready to barely have a relationship with it.

What I miss the MOST is peanut butter. Oh, my "sex with your pants on" favorite! My food without brakes... :wub:

As you can tell...NOT re-introducing that guy!

As I am the sentimental type....have we lost Jordan?? Have not seen a post since the beginning of August. We were down to the six of us and I am just concerned.  Like I said...sentimental!

Have a GREAT Saturday everyone!! We are Champions...

Thanks for the encouragement @Midna, and @IronGirlTrixie..... Hahahahahaha. Is that what you dream of is just going to town on a box of saltines? Are you watching TV, or savoring them on a plate at the dinner table? I am cracking up. I wonder what I would dream about if I went off-plan in my dreams...

Also I just wanted to point out that this makes me laugh.

It was intended to make you laugh and it was only 1 freaking saltine not even the whole box. On a plate next to a bowl of soup. Something that if I weren't thinking while sitting there, could just happen and you'd know you'd have to restart. Mindless eating.

I would like a pint of Magners and some chocolate. A friend came back from a trip to Vegas and he gave me some fancy pants chocolate. I told him I'd have it in a week or so (he doesn't know about whole30 yet). Mister 'let me pull out that Trader Joe's frozen dinner and I don't eat left overs'. But damn that 74% cacao with citrus flavors is looking tasty.

I'd like your opinion.

To be systematic about reintroduction, I want to keep a journal / food log to force myself to consciously evaluate how I feel.

What would you track?

3 x/ day, the following??

energy level

mood

digestion/stomach

head/foggy brain?

joints/comfort

What would you do?

PowerTool, do you have the Whole30 cookbook? there is a whole section on reintroduction and what to track - but I would track my energy, mood, sleep, joints, bloating - which is exactly what you said. I'm not sure what else..I don't notice a huge amount of digestive stuff, but I notice my mood and sleep with certain foods. I would also add anxiety. I find my anxiety is greater or lesser depending.

I don't know what foods I am looking forward too. I do want to introduce some more vegetarian proteins. I find the meat-heavienss of this diet a bit much. So I want some beans or lentils in the mix. I know, exciting stuff! 

I look forward to cheese, but it might make me feel crappy. I'm super hungry right now (waiting for dinner) so I am dreaming of chocolate chip cookie dough. Which might not be the best reintroduction food!

@PowerTool-sounds like you have all the areas covered. Since you mentioned in an earlier post that it took about 14-15 days to "clear" your head, maybe that's your biggest sign. It's a great idea to log your reactions as they can get lost in the details of a busy life.

@Ramonax-if I take a day "off"...say the 22nd of August...to have a date with my husband and add a glass of wine, no other non-compliant food, is that cool? Of course, you are not my mom, I know. ;) I just want to see how it tastes/feels and he wants to "celebrate" my commitment. But, I want to stick with everything right after that and stay connected to the 45 day journey.

Actually, I would like to know how everyone does as they re-introduce. I guess we can just keep this thread going! Hope everyone is interested in continuing their posts...at least for a little while!

Minda. I wholeheartedly support a glass of wine! In the Whole30 book, they suggest having wine as your first reintroduction food. So, you are following the rules! Also, I think the intent is to find what works and doesn't. How can there be a life without wine?

I'd keep the thread going! But I think they make you move it to the post W30 section of the forum. 

aaaaand, back to the budget stuff... Sorry, I gotta bring it up one more time.

So, I want some honest opinions.  I need to know if I am way over-spending.

I have gone through this month's food budget, and it's only halfway through the month.  AND my husband was out of town for a week of that!!!

I do make the recipes from the book and online, and do very few basic chicken-and-broccoli type meals.  I wanted to avoid food boredom and feeling like eating was a chore.  So, I know this can get expensive with the coconut aminos here and the homemade-mayos there, but seriously?  Am I doing this wrong? 

Candace

I don't think you've done the budget wrong. I haven't added mine up yet and it's just me, but I'd say it's been about $50 a week for me in MD. Half in veggies and half in proteins (eggs/beef/pork/chicken) depending on the week. But since I'm not fast fooding it or buying lunch, I think it's coming out the same if not a little more expensive.

I would totally keep the thread going somewhere. If like to keep hearing about your journeys and sharing mine if you don't mind.

aaaaand, back to the budget stuff... Sorry, I gotta bring it up one more time.

So, I want some honest opinions.  I need to know if I am way over-spending.

I have gone through this month's food budget, and it's only halfway through the month.  AND my husband was out of town for a week of that!!!

I do make the recipes from the book and online, and do very few basic chicken-and-broccoli type meals.  I wanted to avoid food boredom and feeling like eating was a chore.  So, I know this can get expensive with the coconut aminos here and the homemade-mayos there, but seriously?  Am I doing this wrong? 

Candace

I don't know that you're necessarily doing it wrong: maybe there are additional ways to stretch your dollar?

You can do an entire Whole30 without coconut aminos. Are you leveraging canned proteins?

Have you seen this article? http://whole9life.com/2011/01/paleo-poor-your-guide-to-the-grocery-store/

Have you seen Munkers' budget edition thread? http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/29302-whole-30-budget-edition/

Archived