where to buy ghee?

palmettomom

Easy in principle, but I always seem to make a mess. I haven't found the perfect combination of cheesecloth, strainer, funnel, container yet. But I'm on like my 4th or 5th iteration and I plan to keep doing it; using ghee just makes a lot of sense.

The mess is kinda fun actually ... I laugh at myself a bit. Kinda reminds me of making homemade playdough or doing something else silly in the kitchen.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

If you are like me and need pictures to do things you've never done before read this.  

I use a pot, a funnel, a glass jar and cheese cloth or a coffee filter (seems to strain better through the cheese cloth - I just tried the coffee filter recently for the first time).  I keep the ghee in a 12 oz jar so I just set the funnel with the filter on top of the jar and pour from the pot into the jar.  Works for me :)

I haven't seen it in any stores in my area.  I looked to buy online, but knew I could make it for 1/10 of the cost.  Also couldn't find cheesecloth anywhere!  I will do it tonight with coffee filters though!  Thanks for the tip.

Hi Palmettomom,

I thought ghee would be hard to come by but it's actually pretty common place in my area. I can get it at any ethnic grocery store (Asian or Indian) but also at Walmart and some grocery chains. Most of the stores in my area now have an international aisle split up between Indian, Asian, British etc imported foods and it's been easily found there. It's also not anymore expensive than real butter.

Erin

• 2 weeks later...

I was actually just about to post a topic about Ghee (Which I still am) but stumbled on this first.  So I'll share my opinion.

This is the best bought Ghee I have ever had, all though expensive, If you can afford it I highly recommend it!

http://www.amazon.com/100%25-Organic-Ghee-Grass-fed-Cows/dp/B00E0WB292/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1422667377&sr=8-4&keywords=ghee&pebp=1422667578484&peasin=B00E0WB292

http://www.ancientorganics.com/

Archived