Whole30 approved meals at Olive Garden/Macaroni Grill/ PF changs

ilina

I just started my very first Whole30 on Friday and I am traveling on Wednesday to SLC for few days. As food options go, there are Olive Garden, Macaroni Grill, Bluemoon and PF Changs close by. 

Does anyone knows what meals are Whole30 approved in these places, if there are any. 

If you're used to eating out,  a Whole 30 requires some cooking and that can be a big change.  I can't think of anything compliant there except leafy greens and condiments.  If I was required to eat there with a work group....those are the things I would order and eat my tuna fish back at the office.   I can find a meal at a podunk gas station.  Hard boiled eggs, dill pickles, lettuce, mustard, tuna.  I love mustard in tuna fish and can survive on condiments in a pinch or a pickle. 

Usually when I go to SLC, I am eating out, since there are no grocery stores around, besides an Rite Aid or CVS (can't remember what was it). I am going to a Convention and taking my baby along. I am planning to bring stuff from home for b-fasts/ lunches, and just get dinners while we are there, but the options seems to be not so good around there. 

There is new mall that opened couple years ago, so there might be new restaurants that opened in the past year, if I am lucky maybe a grocery store.

Salt Lake City is a pretty major city. There has to be a grocery store SOMEWHERE. It may not be within walking distance, but you can investigate shuttle options from your hotel or hop a taxi to stock up on dinner items. (Or, if you'll have your own transport while you're there, life just got a lot easier.)

PF Changs is good about offering gluten-free options, but you still need to check for soy (tamari), non-compliant oils, and sugars/sweeteners. Also beware of condiments like chili paste because, again, soy and sugar.

The other restuarants might be able to give you a salad and some protein, but you'll still need to call the restuarant to discuss whether or not the protein is marinated (and if so, with what), how it's cooked (is the oil compliant?), and whether or not they can dry grill it for you in the event that the oil is not approved. You'll also need to make sure they don't use any kind of finishing sauce/oil/butter on your protein which is common practice in a lot of restuarants.

Bottom line is that you'll need to call these restuarants and talk to a manager about your needs and whether or not the restuarant can accommodate. Bring your own oil and vinegar to dress any salads you might eat while dining out. Since you're still pretty early in your program, you might also just decide to eat as best you can while traveling and then restart your 30 days once you're home and you don't have to worry about travel considerations.

• Moderators

Dallas & Melissa live in SLC -- I know I've seen Melissa post about going out to eat at different places in her Instagram feed. I'm sure it's a big enough city that where they've posted about may not be convenient to where you're going to be, but it does mean there's stuff there. Have you tried googling Salt Lake City paleo restaurants to see what else is out there?

• Moderators

Bottom line, you have to call ahead and ask questions. It's almost never obvious from the menu if something is compliant or not. But you can usually find something, with a conversation about your needs, that will be compliant.

Bring emergency food along too, like sardines and EPIC bars.

You can do this!

Thanks all, I did find one place close by that came up when searching for Paleo Restaurants, but since it's bar, too, they say you need to be 21 or older to go, I guess that's out of question with a 5 month old. 

But luckily they opened a supermarket 1/2 a mile from the Marriott, where I am staying, so I can get some food from there, which is even better when traveling with a baby. 

Go check out Melissa's instagram.  She is always posting food pics from places she eats!  And it is such a healthy city.  You will have way better options eating at a local place.  Stay out of those chain restaurants. 

You can order salmon at Olive Garden with steamed broccoli. Just make sure that there is no noncompliant seasoning or oil. Order it from the gluten free menu. It saved me last year when I was doing Whole30 during the week hubby and I both had birthdays and he wanted OG

• 2 weeks later...

I know I am late in responding to this thread, but I can tell you already that PF Chang's has dairy in EVERYTHING. I'm not sure if they cook everything with butter or what. It surprised me, because when I think Chinese food I don't think of dairy! I have been dairy free off and on for three years prior to ever finding Whole30 so I have learned a thing or two about places that have DF food. 

• Moderators

Thanks all, I did find one place close by that came up when searching for Paleo Restaurants, but since it's bar, too, they say you need to be 21 or older to go, I guess that's out of question with a 5 month old. .

I'm not sure about the US but there would be no problem with bringing a 5 month old into a restaurant, regardless of whether it was a 'restaurant and bar'. It would be different if you were expecting to bring a family with toddlers, or teenagers but I think exceptions are made for people with nursing babies...

Archived