Hiking success!

Aberrantatavia

Yesterday I went back up Lafayette, which is a 5000 footer in the white mountains of NH. I did this about a month ago as well but my hiking buddy couldn't make it. So I did it again yesterday with someone not so faint of heart.

Richard, myself and my dog started out around 8 am for our hike. I had a good breakfast around 6 and then a bit more of the same right before we started up. Richard is in good shape but not really a hiker and certainly not a whole 30 person, but all the food was whole 30 so he managed ok:) Lucy, the dog, loved whole 30 foods so she was just fine with roast beef and carrots.... Anyway, it took 4 hours to get up there, which is pretty slow. But I was determined to do it in my vibrams and carry a pack, which I had never done before. Richard had Lucy's lead (although she seemed to be the one n charge) so I did ok with the pack and being essentially barefoot. I snacked on bananas, nuts and baby food on the way up, the baby food was a surprisingly good fuel source. I probably should have made some compliant pemmican or beef jerky. Next time I will. But what I had sustained me for the hike up. It was rough at the top, 70 mile an hour winds made it impossible to actually touch the summit, but we got pretty close and it was a successful day. We had lunch of roast beef, hard boiled eggs, and carrots. And more nuts and dates.

It took us 8 hours in all as we went down a different trail that dropped us on the other side of the mountain so we had to walk the 3 or so miles back to the truck after the hike.

My endurance was good, and my recovery is great as well, I am not extremely sore today, I just feel like I had a good workout.

And as a point of reference, I have had asthma my whole life, only asymptomatic since removing grains a couple of years ago. I have fibromyalgia and struggle with pain every day. I need to lose about 40 pounds, give or take. I'm definitely not an extremely fit person with no health issues, but I climbed a really big mountain successfully, and I attribute some of this to whole 30, without a doubt! My body is healing from all of the crap I've done to it and I'm making progress toward the kind of good health I'm striving for. Yesterday's hike was more evidence of that.

Thanks duds! It really was great:) I think it drove poor Richard nuts to watch me with that pack and not let him take it, but he was proud of me for accomplishing it. And since I let him take the pack back down, I think he was secretly grateful he didn't have it the whole time lol

Having the mental motivation to do all manner of things I wouldn't have done a few years ago is AWESOME

• 5 months later...

Thanks for the advice. I am training for a Rainier summit climb this Summer, and as such I am doing a Mt Le Conte summit climb this coming weekend as part of my training, and since I am just starting Whole30 tomorrow, I was wondering what to substitute for my normal hiking foods.

Just want to confirm, all the things you mentioned eating on the hike are Whole30 compliant, right?

Archived