Menu Help! Business Dinner - 1789 in DC

Mindse

I'm on DAY 15.  Love the group's thoughts.  Just learned I'm attending a business dinner at 1789 in DC tomorrow.  Ordinarily this would be excellent news, but I am in a panic about what to do.  I don't want the client/my colleagues to think I am "THAT ANNOYING PERSON" and yet I see no way of ordering anything at this place without asking 800 questions.  I looked at the menu at this link:  http://www.1789restaurant.com/sites/default/files/1789%20Menu%207-20-15.pdf

What I am thinking is:  Scallops crudo, don't eat the "Nori Rice Puff".  And the Red Snapper.  

And I cannot have any wine which has been no problem so far, but will fill me with despair tomorrow.  

This is the most succulent bad news I've seen in a really long time.  1789, for those unfamiliar, has long been considered one of the very best restaurants in DC.  Mindse, I suggest calling ahead.  You are surely not the first person with food restrictions who does not want to disrupt a fine dinner!  So ask if they have a non-grain, non-dairy, non-legume set of choices that they can suggest.  

I suspect that's the only stuff you'll need to worry about, because they're unlikely to be using soy of any kind and even more unlikely to be adding sugar to random stuff.  I ate at Black's recently (not the same caliber, but similar goals), and had it was far easier working through compliant foods there than most other places.

ThyPeace, whose business dinners are at places more like Chipotle...

Given the sort of asian flare on the crudo, I would be concerned about possible soy sauce or rice vinegar. Plain rice vinegar is fine on the Whole30, but rice vinegar also comes in a seasoned variety which contains sugar. No bueno. The sumer melon salad might be an option sans ricotta and depending on what they put in their basil oil. The bacon lardons on the red snapper are probably also a deal breaker (sugar). If they're cooked separately from the fish and can just be left off then the fish might be okay. Depending on what's in the foie gras truffle (look out for butter/dairy), the duck may be a good option depending on marinades (and leaving the chocolate off the berries).

You'll need to call the restuarant and have a good discussion with someone about how the meats are prepared, potential marinades, finishing oils, cooking oils, etc. Explain your needs and ask what some good options may be. You may also find that the chef is willing to do something off-menu for you.

Hey.  Big success.  No soy, no rice vinegar on the crudo and I ditched the "rice puff."  And kept the ricotta off the melon salad and it was otherwise clean -- basil oil just olive oil and basil.  And then I just ordered a steak with none of the "busy" preparation -- the chef threw together some veggies for me instead.  The hardest thing was no alcohol, but I did it and I feel great.  Day 16 in the books.  : ) 

Knew they would come through for you!  They really do have a stellar reputation.

So glad you were able to enjoy the dinner with a minimum of hassle.  The wine part is still beyond sad, but I hope you were paying attention to what everyone else was drinking.  I suggest buying a bottle (surely less than you can get it there) and saving it for a major celebration in your home life post Whole30.

ThyPeace, having leftover burgers and watermelon for supper.  And whatever veggies we have in the house.

Archived