Got a Thrive Market membership. What are your favorite things to buy?

eelopez

After reading some posts here and seeing Thrive Market mentioned a few times, I decided to check it out and started their 30-day free trail. I already bought Epic Bars, fish sauce, coconut amino and Lara Bars. So what other foods/products do you like to get from them? It doesn't necessarily have to be Whole30 or food items. I have two kids who I am slowly introducing to the whole30 lifestyle but I still try to buy foods that are organic/somewhat healthy to feed them. Thanks!

Tom, just to clarify, I thought Lara Bars and Epic Bars were okay for emergency situations-- like getting stuck in traffic when you really need to eat right this second, so help the other drivers who are in your way! If I'm wrong then I'll return or give away the Epic Bars (the Lara bars are for my kids, I'd rather them eat those than generic granola bars).

Tom, just to clarify, I thought Lara Bars and Epic Bars were okay for emergency situations-- like getting stuck in traffic when you really need to eat right this second, so help the other drivers who are in your way! If I'm wrong then I'll return or give away the Epic Bars (the Lara bars are for my kids, I'd rather them eat those than generic granola bars).

you were right. Tom wishes it were different, because he sees SO MANY PEOPLE who think they are having an emergency when they really really are not. He would like to outlaw them outright. The Hartwigs are a little more lenient. The rules say you can have these things. 

FWIW, I think the Epic bars are a million times better than the Lara bars. Yes, meatballs or chicken breast you cook yourself and take along would be better, but Epic bars aren't the worst.

Lara bars on the other hand... ;) feed your kids epic bars instead. seriously.

you were right. Tom wishes it were different, because he sees SO MANY PEOPLE who think they are having an emergency when they really really are not. He would like to outlaw them outright. The Hartwigs are a little more lenient. The rules say you can have these things. 

FWIW, I think the Epic bars are a million times better than the Lara bars. Yes, meatballs or chicken breast you cook yourself and take along would be better, but Epic bars aren't the worst.

Thank you for the clarification! I really did intend to buy them to stuff in my purse as an emergency snack but I didn't want to do something that was against the rules.

Great idea giving them to the kids, too!

I took a full box of Epic bars in my suitcase while I was traveling last month. When I'm at home and eating regularly, I hardly ever eat them, but on the road when I don't always have control of my time or my food options, they're a godsend.

In terms of other cool stuff to buy from Thrive, I bought pastured lard and grassfed tallow to use as cooking fats in my last order along with some herbal tea sampler packs, Maldon salt, hazelnut flour, and a few different jerkies. I don't think any of the jerkies were Whole30 compliant, but I wasn't actually on a Whole30 while I was on the road. I believe that there's a Whole30 compliant mayo that Thrive stocks, but I've never bought it as I prefer to make my own.

• 2 weeks later...

Thrive is great to get those pantry items that they list on the Pantry Stocking guide - I'll buy my almond meal, canned coconut milk, shredded unsweetened coconut, oils and vinegars from Thrive. The other great thing is that they list all the ingredients and nutrition out for you, so if you have any questions before you buy about whether or not it has added sugars or anything not compliant with Whole30, you can check it out. 

When I first got the membership, I went through the whole food selection and "favorited" anything that was Whole30 so that I can just shop my favorites! Now if only they stopped adding so many things! 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I used to eat Epic bars pre-W30 but when I tried one (in an emergency of course!) during this plan, it tasted horrid (salty and slimy)...I'm sooo glad!

Similarly Larabars are waayy too sweet and greasy. Thank Goodness.

On the other hand, RxBars are quite moreish (Choc Espresso or Choc Sea Salt)..so much so that I've had to lock them up now.

I'd have one pre/post WO, whether I needed it or not. I'd rather they be outlawed but I'm glad to have found them for post W30!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I noticed that Epic now has a line of cooking fats available on Thrive - pork lard, beef tallow, and duck fat. The price is significantly cheaper than the Fatworks brand ($7 for 11 ounces vs. ~$14 for 14 ounces). But the descriptions don't say anything about how the animals are raised. Are they pastured pigs? Grass-fed cows? Does anyone know? It would be great to save a little money, my family goes through this stuff pretty fast!

• Moderators

Hi all, I noticed that Epic now has a line of cooking fats available on Thrive - pork lard, beef tallow, and duck fat. The price is significantly cheaper than the Fatworks brand ($7 for 11 ounces vs. ~$14 for 14 ounces). But the descriptions don't say anything about how the animals are raised. Are they pastured pigs? Grass-fed cows? Does anyone know? It would be great to save a little money, my family goes through this stuff pretty fast!

My understanding is that they would be ethically raised animals but they're a great company so maybe you can shoot them an email and then post back here and let us know what they say?

• 7 months later...

Archived