Mayo making failures

SeaLily

I tried making mayo today and have had trouble with it not thickening. I tried two different recipes and no success for either  :angry:

Firstly I tried the Olive Oil recipe in It starts with food and no luck, then tried a recipe which uses on egg yolks as opposed to the whole egg. I'm using a stick blender in a smoothie shaker container and have been worried about the motor burning out with all the blending! Help!!!

• Moderators

You might try blending in another egg or yolk to try to thicken it.

I make mine with a stick blender and noticed that the recipe I use for it calls for one cup of oil, not the cup And a quarter other recipes call for, so maybe the oil to egg ratio needs to be a little different. This is the one I use: http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

There are also previous discussions on this, google whole30 mayo troubleshooting to find them.

• Moderators

I can't make mayo to save my life so I buy the ingredients and my mother makes it for me :P

The recipe I linked above is the easiest thing in the world -- try it sometime! There's no waiting for things to come to room temperature, no slow drizzle of oil, no separating the eggs -- just dump it in the jar and blend it.

The recipe I linked above is the easiest thing in the world -- try it sometime! There's no waiting for things to come to room temperature, no slow drizzle of oil, no separating the eggs -- just dump it in the jar and blend it.

Thanks, Shannon.

I'll have to give it a try. Last time I tried it ended up a runny pale yellow with hunks like cottage cheese

Kaytee7

I only use a reg blender Mine is just fine

The secret is to let the acid and egg yolks hang out a bit first I use one whole egg two egg yolks and 1/4 c lemon juice and Dijon whir it let it mix a minute

Stop it can sit a minute Add salt if you'd like

Put the. top on blender without the center leave open turn it on liquefy then slowly drizzle your oil

All the way to a cup or so Voila!

Pour into a mason jar or container and refrigerate overnight should thicken to about custard consistency

Good luck!

I've learned some things about mayo throughout the past few weeks. My first two batches were absolute, complete disasters. I managed to save them by whisking a room temperature egg yolk in a bowl and mixing in the broken mixture very slowly using an electric beater.

I feel like the trick with mayo is to add the oil very, very, very slowly. So slow that it will hurt your arm as you're doing it. If you add too much, you will overwhelm the emulsion and it will turn into a separated, oily mess.

I make mine in a food processor on low. This can work in a blender, too on a low setting. I start by blending together one room temp egg, 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp mustard powder with 1/4 cup of light tasting olive oil until it is a pale yellow emulsion. Then with the blender or food processor running, slowly, slowly stream in 1 cup of olive oil through the top spout. It takes about 2-3 minutes, but the slower you stream in the oil, the thicker your mayo will be. After it is blended, squeeze in juice from 1/2 a lemon and whir it around for a little bit longer. Voila!

Hope this helps :)

You might try blending in another egg or yolk to try to thicken it.

I make mine with a stick blender and noticed that the recipe I use for it calls for one cup of oil, not the cup And a quarter other recipes call for, so maybe the oil to egg ratio needs to be a little different. This is the one I use: http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

There are also previous discussions on this, google whole30 mayo troubleshooting to find them.

Used this recipe last night, and it turned out perfect! Made tuna salad with it today, and it was delicious!! Thanks!!!

Archived