Coffee...please help

Wojo73

You could also try coconut milk, or almond  or cashew milk. Or persevere - it does actually get better provided you're drinking a good coffee.

Or go cold turkey. You might find you can cope without it.

Try different beans.  I like a light roast which actually has more caffeine than medium or dark roasts.  The Trader Joe's breakfast blend is okay with me but the San Francisco Bay (Costco) blend just doesn't taste good to me black. 

I am putting organic coconut milk in my coffee - it tastes as if I've put cream in it.

I also use the coconut milk on fruit - e.g. as if I'm eating 'strawberries and cream', as part of my dinner in the evenings.

If you are in the UK, it is Waitrose's organic coconut milk, as other coconut milk seems to have non-compliant ingredients.

I am putting organic coconut milk in my coffee - it tastes as if I've put cream in it.

I also use the coconut milk on fruit - e.g. as if I'm eating 'strawberries and cream', as part of my dinner in the evenings.

If you are in the UK, it is Waitrose's organic coconut milk, as other coconut milk seems to have non-compliant ingredients.

Paula...I can hear the excitement in your voice.  :D   Be careful,  you're edging up against using the two for an after dinner dessert.   No desserts now.   That is all.

Paula...I can hear the excitement in your voice.  :D   Be careful,  you're edging up against using the two for an after dinner dessert.   No desserts now.   That is all.

I've been tempted to mash up some sweet potato with cinnamon and cashew milk when I was eating compliantly. Thankfully, it was only a thought and never manifested. :-) But I bet it sure would taste good......ok, enough of that! Lol

If a beverage must be a fat transport in order for you to drink it, is it worth it?  Granted fats are the new found messiah, but there are so many more tasty ways to get it than in drinks you cannot tolerate otherwise.  If it has to be coffee, and it has to be more than a two ingredient deal, then coconut milk is likely what will scratch that itch.

Why can't you have a dessert if it is compliant?  I suppose it is because it leads onto wanting a non-compliant dessert later.

The idea of the Whole30 is to change your relationship with food.  

Re-creating dessert like treats is against the spirit of the Whole30 and can work against you in feeding the sugar dragon. Getting out of the dessert mindset and into eating nutrient-dense food to fuel and satiate is more of the focus. 

If you think you really like coffee, get some good beans - I get mine from a local roastery and have found I prefer light roast.

If you're just drinking it for the caffeine, it really would be best to change that routine if you can.

If you're drinking it because you like the "ritual" of having a hot cup of something in the morning, try teas - there are tons. I've been doing hot water with ginger and lemon during the work week and saving my coffee for the weekends, when I have time to really savor it.

You might also consider cold brew coffee. Since the water isn't boiled or heated, you can avoid some of the bitter compounds that happen in brewed coffee. It's very, very easy to do at home. Just grind your beans, add to water, and let steep for 12-24 hours. Drain through a coffee filter and you have your very own cold brew concentrate. When you're ready to drink it, dilute your concentrate with an equal amount (or more) of water or a compliant milk like coconut or almond milk.

If you still want to experiment with fat in your coffee, you can try ghee instead of coconut oil. Give it a blitz in the blender or with a handheld immersion blender to froth it up and make sure that the fat is mixed in. You can also experiment with spices--cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla beans (NOT extract!), chai spices, etc.

Have you tried using clarified butter?  I haven't tried it before but I've read about the trend of people using butter instead of cream and sugar in their coffee.  Here is a link to an article related to that: http://nextshark.com/5-reasons-why-everyone-is-putting-butter-in-their-coffee/

Even before starting this challenge I've prefered my coffee black.  I used to love my coffee with a little bit of sugar and lots of cream.  I weaned myself off of the cream and sugar little by little and eventually I started to be OK with just drinking black coffee.  It didn't take very long actually. I've discovered that there are great differences in the flavors of coffee. I really love Kona coffee now.  I buy the House Blend coffee beans from Costco as a standard/back-up/go to when I don't have anything else.  I love to try different coffee beans.  It's not unusual for me to fill three different bags with 1/4 to 1/2 pound of coffee beans from those dispensers.  

The others have given great advice here.  Just keep trying.  I heard that it takes anything 21 times to try before something becomes habit.  So try 21 times before you write off black coffee. ;)

Archived