Coconut secret garlic sauce

kellybelly

• Moderators

The website lists these ingredients - all of which are okay during a Whole30: Organic coconut sap, organic garlic, sea salt, organic ginger, organic cayenne pepper.

You have to look at the ingredients on every product. We do not approve packaged products generally because one vendor may use all compliant ingredients while another vendor includes problem ingredients. 

Tom, the ingredients appear to be the pretty much the same on the Garlic Sauce and the Teriyaki Sauce, yet in the thread below, another Moderator says the Teriyaki is out.  Can you shed some light on this--how are we to know, if the ingredients say the same thing......?

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/21823-coconut-secret-teriyaki-sauce/page-2

Ingredients for the Coconut Secret Teriyaki sauce are: Other Ingredients: Organic coconut sap, sea salt, organic ginger, organic onion, organic garlic, organic cayenne pepper.

And for the Garlic sauce: Other Ingredients: Organic coconut sap, organic garlic, sea salt, organic ginger, organic cayenne pepper.

• Moderators

My caution, after reading the thread you linked would be that there may be the same unfermented coconut sap in both and while it is okay if it's fermented, it sounds like there's no final word on that yet. You may want to leave it out for now. Tom may have been assuming that the sap listed was in it's fermented state (or he may know something about the garlic sauce that we don't!).

As Melissa Hartwig says, 'When in doubt, leave it out'.

• 11 months later...

I emailed Coconut Secret and they kindly told me the answer to these questions: they DO ferment the sap, so these bad boy sauces are TOTALLY compliant. I attached a screenshot of the email a rep sent me. Really nice people. So I take it that if it was un-fermented and in its original form it would be the equivalent to maple syrup and therefore non-compliant.

Haha! Happy eating!

Archived